200Hz CNC'd Tractrix horn starts with Altec "Giant Voice" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, a few more tweaks.

Bass - removed xover and put in a single 0.5mH coil (will cross at 2,500Hz, thereabouts)...just to weed out any high freq....as the mid horn is running first order cap. (Remember, the Altec 420A will play to over 5,000Hz.)

Added some extra attenuation to the mid horn.

Playing with height and location of the tweeter...this makes a big difference....vertical alignment makes for cleaner/detailed sound stage. I'll need to think of how to position this without making it look too ugly up there.

So, a complete First Order xover system....clean.

Attachments

• bass coil 0.jpg
    bass coil 0.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 301
  • tweeter higher.jpg
    tweeter higher.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 298
Try testing just the horn alone.
Then test just the woofer alone.
Look at it.

Keep in mind that when the horn unloads, it will drop like a stone, no matter how big the cap is! So you want that cap to be sized "just right" like Goldilocks was with the 3 bears? ;)

I'd take the response of the horn, THEN tailor the response of the woofer xover to meet it properly, no matter what that ends up looking like... that woofer likely climbs quite a bit as it goes up in freq... So let's see what that looks like? (of course if it drops, then you might need to do things differently...)

btw, depending on other factors, but ignoring that possibility, I'd want to run the horn as low as it possibly will go... but that's my philosophy in general.

Great and inspiring work Andy! Thanks for sharing.

That looks like an interesting little bass horn too. Not to hi-jack your thread or anything, but could that horn work also with 10" woofers, e.g. Volt BM2500.4?

Potentially, but with a horn like this, it won't go very low compared with conventional ported cabinets....so reducing driver size won't assist in that quest....unless major EQ is applied. Adding EQ starts you on a whole new journey vs passive...but still worthwhile if you are prepared to have multi amp rig.

Funny you talking about 10 inch...I have a new project starting with dual 18 inch AE drivers in OB, with 300Hz Iwata on top...should sound cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.