2 way xover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm looking to improve my passive xover for Seas Millenium T25CF002 & ScanSpeak 18W8545, I'm using attached xover but I'm not satisfied, ideas & suggestions will welcome.

Attachments

• 2 way xover 001.jpg
    2 way xover 001.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 489
You haven't got any BSC. I'd try something like 1.8 - 2.0mH in the bass instead of 0.56mH. You'll also need to reduce the tweeter level a bit, maybe a 4.7 - 5.6R resistor.

I would also try wiring the bass and tweeter in phase - you should be able to hear if you have a dip at the xo frequency if you haven't any measuring equipment.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You haven't got any BSC. I'd try something like 1.8 - 2.0mH in the bass instead of 0.56mH. You'll also need to reduce the tweeter level a bit, maybe a 4.7 - 5.6R resistor.

I would also try wiring the bass and tweeter in phase - you should be able to hear if you have a dip at the xo frequency if you haven't any measuring equipment.

I like more only the woofer in phase.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

I tried 5.1R in place of 8R and I like more 8R

Hi Merlin,

I found the pictures of your speaker in your other thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/236392-help-3-4-way-loudspeaker.html

Knowing cabinet and crossover I was able to do a simulation of your speaker. The driver voltage curves reveal a correctly calculated theoretical crossover at 2.5 kHz. Unfortunately this is not the whole story and the acoustic result doesn't look very good anyway. The simulation confirms everything Zuhl has been saying: The woofer has no baffle step correction and the tweeter is too lound and of wrong polarity. Further there is a unhandled surround resonance at 800 Hz and the impedance drops to 3 ohm at 5 kHz. This is what you have at the moment. Please give me some time to come up with a proposal for a improved crossover.

Attachments

• SimulationMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    SimulationMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DriverVoltagesMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    DriverVoltagesMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 150
  • CrossoverMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    CrossoverMerlinElMagoOriginal.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 160
Hi Merlin,

I see you are making good progress with your crossover, great. Based on my simulation I propose some minor modifications you can try easily. Disconnect the zobel on the woofer, split the resistor of the tweeter and wire both drivers in phase. At least the simulation looks decent now and I hope the sound of your speaker doesn't tell the opposite.

Attachments

• SimulationMerlinElMago.jpg
    SimulationMerlinElMago.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DriverVoltagesMerlinElMago.jpg
    DriverVoltagesMerlinElMago.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 59
  • CrossoverMerlinElMago.jpg
    CrossoverMerlinElMago.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.