2 phase synthesised sinewave generator for synchronous motor drive

High Rich, sorry to be a pain, I realise you must have moved on from this project many moons ago, Isee you mention v4.0 for the code revision, will it be OK to run on the original piggyback pcb you designed or is there another version required, also as a new member I have no idea how to get in touch with yourself by e-mail, mine is norman.stewart2021@outlook.com, maybe you can use that to forward the code while I try harder to work out how to get in touch on the DIYAudio Forum....

Hi to all,

Has anyone tried sup-a-spin with Thorens TD 160 mkII (2 phase 230v motor)? I just acqiured one with generous help from one of forum members so would like to try it with.

Thanks,
Hi, I have not used it for this type of motor, but have a look at this thread for examples of amplifying a sinewave to drive such a motor. The amplifier required should be independant of the sinewave source, apart from matching the amplitude and gain required. The default output amplitude of this generator is 1.2v p-p, but can be set to any lower value (by incrreasing R3 and R4), or higher values up to 2.8v p-p (by reducing R3 and R4, down to a minimum of 5.6kOhm).

Some timely updates:

- Latest v4.0 firmware has been tested, now supports delayed amplitude reduction and various rotary encoders. As before, please contact me directly for this

- Updated v2.0 boards, with added headers for OLED display (including link for supply voltage selection) and rotary encoder; moved tachometer test signal pin next to tach input pin to allow easy connection with jumper. Gerbers added to first post

PCB_supaspin_v2p0_3D.png

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
An honest 5 Watts 8 Ohms stereo amp, plus two 230V:6.3V 500mA transformers, backward, should do it.

Remember the 230V wiring side is still lethal, even if "only 5 Watts", or close enough to hurt you bad. Wire it so nobody can touch live parts.

I'm very interested in this project. Does anyone have a BOM for the power board that he designed for use with this, as well?

If you mean the spinamp, I hadn't done, but I've now generated one:

1660080442751.png

It was a bit of a 'parts bin' creation so many components aren't critical:
  • There are many footprints for the supply capacitors, as long as they add up to ~1000uF per side then you can use whatever you have (provided they have adequate voltage tolerance)
  • The transistors should be fairly un-critical so you can choose anything 'similar'. There's alternative E-B-C and E-C-B options for the BD13x
  • I'd stick with the TL071s so that stibility is as designed, otherwise you may need to adjust C1A/B, and also RBxy if the opanp supply current is significantly different
  • Pxx can be any connectors of your choice

@hobbit01: sorry other projects got in the wayrecently, please message me and I can make sure you get the latest code - I've been running a v4.0 code with the latest additions as listed in the first post
@richb, as a new member I cannot use PM and I have no idea how to get in touch with you. Could you mail me [*Private information redacted by moderation] the latest code, please? Thanks in advance.

After an enquiry about using an Arduino Nano rather than an Uno, I have now built and tested a new board which supports a Nano footprint, using the same firmware.

This gives an alternative mounting option with holes in a 90x60mm pattern (with two holes slotted by 1mm to suit an enclosure I already had with 90x61mm mounting holes). Overall board size is 98x69mm.

The uno pinout is preserved, allowing the use of a second board for the third phase, this could be either a Uno-type board on top, or a second Nano type board below. It could also be used with an Uno if pins are added as before.

Gerbers are added to the first post, and on my GitHub.

20220902_135203202.png

With stacked second board:

20220902_142432772.png