2.1 DSP Amp born of frustration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all !

I'm planning to build an autonomous transportable speaker and I would like to have a 2.1 system. I was considering the Sure boards (one JAB3-100 + one JAB2-30) together with a Battery Balance and Protection Extension Board (AA-JA11113) to power these amps. Some of you seem to be disappointed with those boards, why's that ?

BTW, are there any news for the 2.1 amp planned ?

Thanks !

Hey ! Oh I heard about this amp through a Toids DIY Audio video on youtube, it seems great !
But what I forgot to mention is that I would want a 2.1 amp with an integrated DSP, but I think it doesn't exist for the moment unfortunately. Maybe I can just add a DSP board next to the amp, are you using one ?

Hi all !

I'm planning to build an autonomous transportable speaker and I would like to have a 2.1 system. I was considering the Sure boards (one JAB3-100 + one JAB2-30) together with a Battery Balance and Protection Extension Board (AA-JA11113) to power these amps. Some of you seem to be disappointed with those boards, why's that ?

BTW, are there any news for the 2.1 amp planned ?

Thanks !

Hi All,

Honestly I've been disappointed almost every Wondom product that I have purchased (and I've tried a lot of their range). All of their stuff works, but when you want that Hi-Fi 'edge' you're just not going to find it with them. Bluetooth pops and clicks, high noise floors etc.

With regards to my alternative, it was finished a long time ago and I had ideas of doing a small production run to sell at reasonable prices to people in my predicament, but I realised that was probably a bad idea. I get thousands of boards manufacturered each year for work, that’s the easy part. The difficult part was going to be writing the user manual, the programming guides for the DSP and providing all of the inevitable support to the end users. Sadly I simply do not have time to do any of that.

Anyway, back to the system itself! I think I hit every design goal and the thing works great. It’s really nice having a powerful, massively configurable DSP, high quality APTX Bluetooth, analogue inputs, and 4/2.1 amplifier channels in such a small package. Oh and it sounds great too. Other amps I have built are based around the LM3886 and I really struggle to hear a difference comparing them between this little board (disclaimer: I do not have the ears of Rupert Neve).

It is currently installed in these speakers I built from solid oak, see the pictures here: Custom Fullrange Speakers with DIY 2.1 DSP Bluetooth Amplifier. - Album on Imgur

On a side note (but presumably also a testament to the amplifiers quality) these speakers have the best soundstage of any I own. There really is something to be said of moving to full range and dropping crossover distortion altogether. Their off axis response and low end extension is the compromise however.

If anyone is interested I might look to making the board designs open source.

Honestly I've been disappointed almost every Wondom product that I have purchased (and I've tried a lot of their range). All of their stuff works, but when you want that Hi-Fi 'edge' you're just not going to find it with them
Sad to hear this, as a beginner in electronics it seemed to be the perfect kit, not too complicated to setup ahah

It is currently installed in these speakers I built from solid oak, see the pictures here: Custom Fullrange Speakers with DIY 2.1 DSP Bluetooth Amplifier. - Album on Imgur
Wow congratulations it looks very good and professional !
So your speakers are powered by a 4S battery pack as you said earlier ?

If anyone is interested I might look to making the board designs open source.
Personaly I would be very interested

Sad to hear this, as a beginner in electronics it seemed to be the perfect kit, not too complicated to setup ahah

I completely sympathise, I have wasted a lot of money on their boards in the past to be dissapointed. I cannot speak for their new JAB5 and other ranges, but once bitten twice shy and all that...

If you want an alternative supplier that make much better solutions have a look at TinySine. These guys are fantastic, and we contract them for our PCB & PCBA work as well. No I am not on commission! :)

Tinysine (Tinyos) Electronics

Wow congratulations it looks very good and professional !
So your speakers are powered by a 4S battery pack as you said earlier ?

Thank you! No, in this fixed installation the board is powered off a Meanwell SMPS (I highly reccomend Meanwell for price/performance). I have deceloped a second battery board so this system can go mobile, it's a very efficent system afterall.

Thank you for the tip, I checked their website. So typically if I want a DSP programmable 2.1 system, I could buy the TSA7492 amp (2 x 50W + 100W 2.1 Channels Bluetooth Audio Amplifier Board - TSA7492) together with TSA 1701 DSP board (TSA1701 Audio DSP Board) and this USBi programmer (USBi JTAG Sigma DSP programmer) ?

After that, the problem I would have is how to power all this, knowing I have no experience in electronics and designing battery boards ahah. I would need a BMS and charge controller right ? (I saw you said this earlier in this post)
How did you manage to make your own battery board ?

Hi Wenz, yes that combination looks like it would do what you want, but this thread isn't really intended for discussing this, you should start a new thread one to discuss this further.

Furthermore I would add that if you have no experience in electronics then taking my open-source PCB designs (if they ever come to fruition) and producing a finished product would be a very difficult and unrealistic project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.