1st attempt of 2nd order active lowpass filter failed, please advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
phase_accurate said:
Just an additional remark:
As soon as your circuit is working you might find it a little noisy: In this case think about using smaller resistors like 10 k and use larger caps instead.

This is a subtractive-type crossover

Charles, the subtractive one would be mine -- i know about the hump, for my ap it won't be a big deal.... the tip on the smaller Rs and larger Cs is very useful as i find my parts bin low on big Rs and small Cs...

dave

SimontY said:
Next step - I joined pins 6 and 7 together (B-IN >> B OUTPUT), as per richie00boy's advice, and pin 5 (B+IN) I connected to ground. This took me back to having the full AC voltage on the output.

I would just like to clarify that the 'B' op-amp is the unused one, and that your filter is built around 'A'? If so then I see no problem so far.

SimontY said:
I have carefully checked my connections and to my untrained eye everything looks fine. I checked for continuity in many places and found no shorts. Power - and + go to the correct pins. Where the signal goes in appears to go through the two resistors, and the caps appear to be in the correct positions.

One thing I wonder about - where the schematic shows the output being directly connected to -INPUT --is this really just a plain short?? That is how I have connected it.

If there are no obvious mistakes remaining I think I will just pack it in and buy the correct (single) op-amp. Not like it's costing me very much money.

All that sounds fine as well. As I mentioned in an earlier post connecting the output directly to the inverting input feeds back 100% of the signal thus meaning we get unity (1x) gain.

I hope you used an IC socket :) You could just drop in a TL072 if you have. Maybe the op-amp you have is not unity gain stable. If you are doing a rebuild then it would be simpler to use a single op-amp. You can get one stage working then simply cascade another identical stage to get a 24dB/oct filter.

If you are really stuck I may (if I can find them) be able to dig out an old prototype PCB (or two) of mine, I'd be willing to donate in the name of SimontY audio research :D

"I would just like to clarify that the 'B' op-amp is the unused one, and that your filter is built around 'A'?"
Yep.

"I hope you used an IC socket :)"
Nope. :apathic:

"You can get one stage working then simply cascade another identical stage to get a 24dB/oct filter."
I'm only looking for 12db/oct, which I will connect to my plate amp, whose 12db/oct filter will be in action, and of course variable, giving me 24db/oct or 12db + 12db at antoher fr. Some versatility, which I hope will help combat the 'wodge' of apparent output in the x-over area.

"If you are really stuck I may (if I can find them) be able to dig out an old prototype PCB (or two) of mine, I'd be willing to donate in the name of SimontY audio research :D"
You're very kind! Let me try again first though. I feel I should be able to crack this little nut!! :confused:

edit: I'll go and take a couple of photos, for amusement.

Pic of the psu. Sorry about the bad angle, the camera ran out of batteries :-/

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 210
Absolutely correct Rich. I am confident in the PSU, because I very recently knocked up a p-p LM3886 tester the same way, which btw sounds pleasant. (also, the caps don't explode - surely a good sign :)

The black 'lytics are indeed for decoupling/bypassing (the same thing?)

Do you think it's possible everything is wired correctly, but I've fried or otherwise damaged my op-amp? I did afterall remove it from my cd player, and perhaps with heavy hands :xeye:

I am beginning to think that the op-amp was either damaged by desoldering or static, or is not unity gain stable. Get a DIL socket and new chip and see. If it works OK, you can reuse the chip :)

Bardwell's used to sell some nice red chip sockets made by Cambion. If you can't get those anymore see if they do any other 'turned pin' ones. These kind are much better than the 'wiper' type as it's easier to get the chip in.

The subtractive high/low pass network in the National Semiconductor app-note (with a second-order roll-off on both the LP and HP outputs) works very well. I use the circuit myself on a 2-way speaker. The HP and LP outputs sum flat in amplitude and phase. (But don't forget that the drivers' own response will affect this).

If you can't find the app-note I'll put the schematic on here.

I once found this app-note accidentally.
In one of John Watkinson's books however I found a statement that subtractive crossovers could be made with almost any desired orders, symmetrial and asymmetrical.
So I did some maths and came to a simpler solution than the NS one.

Good that you like the transient perfect crossover. :cool:

Regards

Charles

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
phase_accurate said:
Are you content with its outcome ? Are you interested in a symmetrical 2nd/2nd order version ?

I've the parts piled up ready to be stuffed into the breadboard...

For the ap this version is going into i'll need 2nd/1st or maybe 3rd/1st, but i find subtractive XOs facinating so i would be interested in your 2/2. I have been following all the work you have been doing (don't necessarily grok it all).

dave

richie00boy said:
I'd like to see the app note. I think we are in very real danger of hijacking SimontY's thread though. Let us know the app note number and if needs be we can start a new thread for it.
Discussion of active crossovers is interesting to me, and relevant to the thread topic, just about.

planet10 said:

Yes please... a search turned up 34 ap notes... after the 4th one i decided i'd better ask :)

dave
Funnily enough, I called off the search too :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.