18" up to 400-500 Hz

As I said, the distortion is there even if no filter is in use.
HIi YSDR

Understand why you feel bad/angry about the Faital 18FX600, it sounds like **** on the recording-sweep you post.
At the mesaurement it have a sharp 5 dB dopp at 170 hz, then again a 7 dB drop betwenn 280-420 hz, and in my eyes that looks like some "problems" in 150-420 hz area, exactly in your "goal-area".

I have to little expertis in this on a techical side, but have large experiense building, trying, testing wise.
And to be fair, Faital drivers hasen´t "blow me away" so far, and often have strange dips i mesuarements.

Can you please record it again and post it, now when you have shift channel on REW, so we could her it without REW ******* it up.
For an expensive driver like that, you should demand a lots from it.

Reards John

Here is a new sweep, it's pretty clean now I think. The noise at low frequencies is probably the leakages of the test box. Tested with music aswell, sounds not as bad as at the beginning, much better and quite tolerable now.

Out of curiousity I tried again the Eminence woofer and it shows similar behaviour like the Faital. It's as if a low level hiss follows certain parts of the music. It's not detectable when running fullrange but with 500Hz low-pass, it can be heard with the Eminence too, they are quite close in this regard (because the Faital became quieter).

Maybe some run-in was needed for the Faital to settle in somehow.

I also tried the 500Hz LR4 low-pass with headphones, no strange artifacts/noise was heard.

sweep_3

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
About net 180 litres bass-reflex.

Nice. I've been playing with the code for grid-search of box dimensions for a while now.

170.1 L
Sides in cm: 42,54,75
First standing waves: 228.667, 317.593, 408.333, 457.333, 635.185, 686.000, 816.667, 952.778, 1225.000

For this case the first standing wave is 228 but then the rest are not that close. I've read that it's good when they're not close so that they don't reinforce themselves. Right? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user