10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X, stuffing in progress. Even though I've read everything, a question remains. You wrote we need stuffing in the size of two Nr.5 soccer balls - is that per speaker or both speaker together? How critical is the even density, should the stuffing be squeezed like in Frugal Horn or is it enough to place it just losely? Thanks in advance.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Answer found :)

Attachments

• PSX_20211126_103421.jpg
    PSX_20211126_103421.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Many thanks, Meanie! :)

@X, I could not wait and listened to the speaker in mono... since one hour... this is an incredible speaker, I am almost speechless.
I have Sonus Faber's, but the MLTL outperforms it easily. The midrange is beautiful, open, live-like, exactly how I like it, and most importantly this range is not nervous or harsh and not tiring. The lows are deep and punchy but not overemphasized, with great rhythm and never-heard detail.
Many thanks for providing the plans and the know-how! :cheers:

Ps: As you wrote, the ACA - even in 15w bridged config - can't handle the speaker. So I used my good old Copland CSA-28 for the first run.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X,
thank you very much:) these are only my second diy speakers, so I am satisfied :D
I have Venere 2,5's and they are not even closely so good as the MLTL.
Here I am slightly confused: "The articulate bass you hear is a tapered TL signature" - you mean mass loaded TL signature? Because I hear it from the MLTL's, not from the tapered Sonus.
Anyway, the second speaker is glued and about to dry (did I mention that I don't have enough clamps?:D) and I can hardly wait to hear in stereo.
Thanks again :cheers: now it's time for a power amp... or two, f.e. LuFo and Babelfish :D

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Typically MLTL speakers have a smaller sudden contraction for the vent. Like a long rectangular channel with a smaller vent. An example is Tabaq speaker. Often the vent looks closer to smaller on on a bass reflex. On a tapered channel TL, the channel cross section gradually gets smaller and has a rather large cross sectional area for the vent.

Is your Sonus Faber a TL?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Finished :) Placed in the my listening environment I noticed some lack of the lows so I started to tune the speaker. My original stuffing was 112 g per speaker (about 3,95 oz), now I have 83 g (2,93 oz) and it is much better, but I still have to play with it. But it's fun :)
On top are the external xo's.

Attachments

• PSX_20211127_113955.jpg
    PSX_20211127_113955.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 19,715
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Sorry for writing that much about the speaker, but the sound is simply gorgeous:D I have listened to many expensive speaker but this speaker is really outstanding. If somebody would tell me they cost 8000 euros, I would believe it. That's it :D
Forgot to mention, in the cone I ended up with 8 g stuffing (about 0,28 oz).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Fantastic Istvan!!
Your wall of audio gear is quite a nice sight ;)
If you feel the need for more bass, reduce the amount of stuffing behind and over the top turn of the RS225. That section looked a bit over packed with stuffing from your picture.
Enjoy your fresh set of FAST TL’s!!
:cheers:

Finished :) Placed in the my listening environment I noticed some lack of the lows so I started to tune the speaker. My original stuffing was 112 g per speaker (about 3,95 oz), now I have 83 g (2,93 oz) and it is much better, but I still have to play with it. But it's fun :)
On top are the external xo's.

So you are tuning your speakers while watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG? Cool!
:D

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hopefully this batch of newly built TL’s by you, Meanie and X will nudge me enough to finally build mine ;)
Cool :D and winter is coming, so we are waiting :cheers:

So you are tuning your speakers while watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG? Cool!
:D
Guilty :D

Istvan,
Congratulations on getting your stereo build done!
Nice setup you got there. Enjoy! :)
Many thanks Zia! I can't stop listening and I am rediscovering my music :)

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you, Cindra! :)
The FH MkIII's are in my opinion special speaker for not too big soundmasses and they require special placement. In my case, they are a bit harsh in the higher midrange. I use the MA A7MS, maybe it would be better (for me) to use a paper cone and I plan to do so.
The TL's are just great, they easily outperform many many high-price commercial speaker. The mids are very open, clear, smooth and detailed, live-like, the stage is wide and deep and high.