10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X,
thank you very much :cheers:
Glad you like my rack - it's made of IKEA-tables :D the legs are shortened and filled with wood, and spikes mounted.

Attachments

• 20210117_194458.jpg
    20210117_194458.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 248
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Many thanks, Zia :)

In the meantime I have taken a measurement of the frequency response, because - as I have already written - I still have to play with the bass area. Now, here is the confirmation, too much stuffing removed, it's boomy @60Hz and has a trough @110Hz. But the range above - great :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• FR.jpg
    FR.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Did you measure at the listening spot with both speakers playing? If so, I wouldn't call it "too much" but rather: pleasant.

Look at the "in room" JBL curves that different groups of listeners prefered:
attachment.php

Do you see that many (almost all) listeners prefer a higher bass output compared to the average level above it? It would also depend quite a bit on your average listening levels. If you play 75 dB on average you'd probably like or prefer to hear higher bass levels than if the playback level is 85 dB.

"flat in room" isn't or shouldn't be the exact goal. Flat measuring speakers are meant to be: Flat measuring speakers in an anechoic environment.
That's what Toole meant by "flat direct sound" in the graph above.

Attachments

• toolecurve.jpg
    toolecurve.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 564
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Your ears at listening position is ultimate guide. You can also look at impedance sweep. Adjust stuffing until impedance sweep shows that two peaks straddling tuning frequency circa 30Hz starts to go down and minima starts to go up. That may be “too dry” for some.

That is, shape of two rabbit ears becomes a cats head.

My guess is that your measurement, looks perfect. It’s very room mode dependent at 1m.

Last edited:
Is this dagger big enough for TC9FD? 9" tall and 4 1/4" at widest point. Picked up RS225-8 for a good price locally on Facebook Marketplace and already have TC9FD. XO parts on order. Would love to build TL but with a bad back all I can schlep around is the sealed monitor. Making sawdust tomorrow. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 253
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I saw the foam version. It's tempting. Are cabinet vibrations a problem? Lots of construction in my neighborhood so I picked up some engineered subfloor scraps.
Very dense. I'll Duratex over it. I'll post pics when done. Thanks for a great thread
and all your effort.

Some extra bracing (with scrap pieces of XPS) along any part that has a long span. Look at Vunce’s internal construction pictures for hints. Make sure you use proper XPS compatible construction adhesive. It cannot tolerate adhesives with VOCs. I used the non VOC Liquid Nails adhesive. I think they make specific adhesive for XPS.

The XPS works so well that Vunce has a hard time motivating himself to make a new wood one. :)

Add thin plywood facing to baffle XPS to allow mounting of driver screws. Use latex based non hardening adhesive (exterior caulking is good) and acts as damping layer. Underlayment or subfloor ply (3/16in luan ply is great). Engineered flooring is also excellent. Hard stuff though so need real power tools to cut.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,
this is the first time I use it, so not much experience. But what I hear is very very pleasing, crisp and clear highs and beautiful midrange, however I don't know how much the RS225 acts here, XRK could tell you more.

I have both speakers, one based on 10F and one on B80. Most of the midrange is shared between the RS225 and the full range. The RS225 is probably responsible for most of the audio content and hence, is really the star of this speaker. Subjectively, the B80 sounds a bit more lively on the top end for percussion and is very nice full smooth midrange, the 10F is more lush and smoother for vocals. It’s funny but the fiberglass cone sounds more “glassy smooth”. Both are superb so I cannot say if one is better than the other.