10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Funny you should mention that, I was just going over some cabinet options with the wifey this morning.
I will use 3/4” MDF for the cabinet and paint it black, the baffle will be a solid wood maybe curly maple or walnut?

Btw, isn’t it a given that we all stay up way too late from our audio creations :D :yawn:

For me, it's damn hard to beat nice walnut. I tend to think of curly maple as accent wood, instead of the primary 'grain' aesthetic. FWIW.

Cheers,
Gable

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is a very interesting post, I was just trying to figure out what to do with the TEN RS225-4 i have sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

You should give it a try in a cheap XPS cabinet. The XO is simple to make and all you would need besides the XO parts are the RS100’s. Although almost any decent 3.5in full range can work here. Even a 2.5in like TC7 or SB65WBAC25.4 could work, 3FE25 , PS95-8, FR88EX, FR54EX,etc

Can’t make a WFW with this as it’s 4ohms already. Unless you want to drive it as a 2ohm speaker. You could do bipolar quad RS225-4, 2 face front and 2 face rear. Series parallel and have 92dB sensitivity at 2.83v. Would need a sensitive full range. Maybe 3FE22 or 5MR450NDY. But this is a different speaker. Different XO.

You should give it a try in a cheap XPS cabinet. The XO is simple to make and all you would need besides the XO parts are the RS100’s. Although almost any decent 3.5in full range can work here. Even a 2.5in like TC7 or SB65WBAC25.4 could work, 3FE25 , PS95-8, FR88EX, FR54EX,etc

Can’t make a WFW with this as it’s 4ohms already. Unless you want to drive it as a 2ohm speaker. You could do bipolar quad RS225-4, 2 face front and 2 face rear. Series parallel and have 92dB sensitivity at 2.83v. Would need a sensitive full range. Maybe 3FE22 or 5MR450NDY. But this is a different speaker. Different XO.

I looked into the PS95 and the 3FE25 then i found this thread. I think the RS100 on paper looks better.- are you saing the other ones can almost drop in with this XO

...I did get a pair of Miflex KPCU-01 caps that Maty recommended. Now, should I add it to the ASC and Mundorf combo or swap the Mundorf for the MiFlex? I’m going to replace the Solen 4.7uF for a correct value Sonicap Gen I 4.4uF (C111/112) also.

Step by step: first without bypassing with Miflex 0.022uF. After a while you put it and tell us if you notice difference and how much.

Ah, Mundorf 0.47 uF -> Miflex 0.47uF ?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pcgab,
Yeah, I tend to agree with your take on the wood look. The FAST TL baffle is pretty big. The walnut would work better for looks and fit of the room, I could always inlay maple accents of some sort. Thanks.

Maty,
I chose the Miflex value (0.1uF) because it can be used in many other builds if it does not staying in this XO. I already had the Mundorf in the 0.47uF value. So, the comparison will be between slightly different values. Thanks

Pcgab,
Yeah, I tend to agree with your take on the wood look. The FAST TL baffle is pretty big. The walnut would work better for looks and fit of the room, I could always inlay maple accents of some sort. Thanks.

Maty,
I chose the Miflex value (0.1uF) because it can be used in many other builds if it does not staying in this XO. I already had the Mundorf in the 0.47uF value. So, the comparison will be between slightly different values. Thanks

Not sure if I'm mentioned it before, but I've become quite a fan of the CDE 940 0.01uF 3000v caps as bypass in crossovers, as well as in plenty of circuits.

Humble Homemade Hifi rates them very highly, as well as the KPCUs, fwiw:

Humble Homemade Hifi - Cap Test

Cheers,
Gable

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Funny you should ask about the name “micro FAST”. I did it with a FR58EX, but believe it would work even better with a 10F. I used a smooth sounding 5.25in woofer with AC130F1 - but think there are probably other drivers that can work.

My original FR58EX did not have the big 10kHz cone ring peak. Visually the new one looks like it has less rubber damping on the surround of the aluminum cone.

10F and 5.25in Revelator to keep it all in the ScanSpeak family.

Or 10F and an SB Acoustics Satori.

Recently I found that I really like the sound of a Peerless NE180W-8 woofer. They probably make a 5.25in version of they?

FR58EX and AC130F1 micro-FAST / WAW

Here is the microFAST:

803310d1576738924-fr58ex-ac130f1-micro-fast-waw-fr58ex-ac130f1-fast-xo-1khz-build-03-jpg

802027d1576350987-fr58ex-ac130f1-micro-fast-waw-fr58ex-ac130f1-xo-schematic-v002-jpg

803410d1576777124-fr58ex-ac130f1-micro-fast-waw-fr58ex-ac130f1-fast-xo-1khz-freq-meas-04-jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With a subwoofer located farther away, you will need to run then 10F down to 120Hz at least in order for the sub to not be localized. This will cause the 10F to have more distortion as it has to go lower and hence more cone movement. It can still sound very good.

To get a woofer to run down to 120Hz XO requires a very large and expensive inductor. You are better off using a small 2.1 Class D amp that has a subwoofer output with adjustable frequency and gain.

I do this with a small FR58EX in an OB. The same can be done for a 10F - make a small OB speaker with a stand for the desk. It can be a trapezoidal or flower shape or Fibonacci spiral. All of these minimize edge diffraction. Or you can use a Dagger if you don’t want any rear wave action.

760359d1559429986-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-11cff3ba-6bdc-4139-a3b2-3bc7bdec286f-jpeg

Here is the example of my flower FAST.
Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

The sub is driven by the sub output of a cheap TPA3116 2.1 amp.

Bare, did a similar thing with TC9FD, so I know a 10F can work there:
771969d1564672202-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-tc9-daisies-1280-960-jpg

Here is what I used for the sub:
466269d1424148438-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-w5-sub-photo-03.png

Last edited:
I was thinking a very micro fast version:
Pair of 10f sealed boxes on the desk + single 8" sub under the desk, but in the FAST style of crossover.
It may not be the purest approach but it's close.

Think to get the best feel you virtual listen to a XO-less fullranger system then XO point shall be as low as possible and will mean 10F low end knee is bit too high, its a 172Hz 2nd order butterworth (BW) using datasheet numbers but my own real world pair is lower around 153Hz area, think RS100-8 is your best friend in 1,85 ltr it perform 109Hz reach 2nd order BW and take 14 watt before reach Xmax at 95dB SPL per channel. One can also up volume to 5,56 ltr so you get a Linkwitz riley (LR) roll off at 77,6Hz that will sum flat with sub verse BW that have some ripple or peak in sum of slopes, take 3,5 watt before reach Xmax at 89dB SPL per channel which sound low but should be more than plenty at desk near field listening position, and btw 84-86dB SPL is loudest recommended listening level for a stereo pair and often track material is mastered offset to sound best there relative to our hearing equal loudness curve.

Last edited:
Are you sure that is a "micro fast" and not just a full range with a subwoofer? Its not going to have the major features that X emphasizes on this speaker - the very low distortion, transient perfect, low group delay, etc...

I was thinking a very micro fast version:
Pair of 10f sealed boxes on the desk + single 8" sub under the desk, but in the FAST style of crossover.
It may not be the purest approach but it's close.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Byrtt,
Thanks for the analysis and pointing out how the RS100-8.

RS100-8 is your best friend in 1,85 ltr it perform 109Hz reach 2nd order BW and take 14 watt before reach Xmax at 95dB SPL per channel

The electro-acoustic response of most of these drivers with my crossover are probably closer to 1st order BW, but that’s ok. It’s good to know it can go that low and still handle 14w before hitting Xmax.

Hi xrk971,

Welcome, proposal let midtweeter run without any components using its natural acoustic high pass corner was to help on get one uniform verical sum say distance to sub is 800mm, at that distance 1st order up at 750Hz is too high to get good vertical numbers but thats okay it will play music but be non uniform verticals in four kind of tilted lobe sectors : )