1 order crossover help

I use active, 4-way using 3 stereo amplifiers, there is no way going passive on the first woofer makes sense to me.
If you need deeper bass perhaps you need to get a bigger set of woofers or drop the level of the midrange and tweeters a few dB
☺️ I don't need deeper…right now, building two 15 inch RIPOL woofers. To go deep is not a goal, woofers easily doing 30 Hz clean. Sound reproduction quality is. ..... "no way going passive on the first woofer makes sense to me" (y) - I would like to save one channel in active crossover and one amplifier - isn't good reason to do that and investing only in a coil ?
Restricting one of the woofers to 200 Hz it is rewarding! Sound quality raises enormously.
My new set-up uses 4x Hypex NCAS500MP amplifiers.

Last edited:
I can't comment further without pictures and a diagram of your set-up but so far what you are saying is not making sense to me.
FYI I cross my own system at 80Hz and 300Hz and use passive at ~3k
Ok from there you can see all applied filters in set up
1666212863297.png

Two woofers ,we are talking about ...one of them has 1 order crossover at 200 Hz the other one at 700 Hz.
Mids are crossed at 700 Hz to 5000 Hz.
Tweeter is crossed at 5000 Hz.
Right now, wiring looks like this

1666213204131.png

And I would like to get like this ,keeping 1 order crossover for one of the woofers at 200 Hz
1666213326775.png

:)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
So you don't wish to use a passive XO on the mid to tweeter cross. where component cost is lower?
While the diagram helps you've left out the information on the drivers involved, that can have bearing on what advice people give you.
I think I'll leave any more advice to the experts and I wish you luck

So you don't wish to use a passive XO on the mid to tweeter cross. where component cost is lower?
While the diagram helps you've left out the information on the drivers involved, that can have bearing on what advice people give you.
I think I'll leave any more advice to the experts and I wish you luck
Sorry Moondog 55 ,to upset you ,but keeping my integrity will provide you with all information you wish. And answer all questions to the best of my ability.
"Where component cost is lower?"- I don't care about the cost, but I care about sound reproduction quality.
"So you don't wish to use a passive XO on the mid to tweeter cross" as you can see from my drawing ,I have using 5.1 uf condenser for tweeter. And yes,my wish is to use passive XO as littel as posible.
Drivers used in set up:
2x woofers- DaytoAudio rs225
Mid-woofer - Mark audio CHBW-70
Tweeter - Beyma T2030
:)

I'm not upset at all, I'm simply not able to assist you in the way you want.
Thank you, trust me ,don't have a wish a form how I should be assisted. No rules for it. :) Have just asked for advice, what coil of 1 order passive XO to use for one of two DaytoAudio rs225 drivers, because would like one of them play only up to 200 Hz. It is quite simple. I have given all information you asked, made drawings, used time for it . And you just throw me "under the buss". Will it help include a photo of speaker? Please, do assist me, how you find comfortable and the way you see it.
1666253422608.png

1666253479520.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I hope some day mine will look and sound as good as yours.

1666259555309.png
1666259620662.png
1666259639071.png
1666262125284.png

My minimalist XO-less "LXmidi" uses 8" and 4" fiberglass-honeycomb drivers of the same make (cone material and FR similar to Mivoc XAW-208-HC/XAW-110-HC), using off-axis attenuation as low-pass and open-baffle fall-off as high-pass; I could not hear "two" drivers. Inside the can is a folded concentric transmission line which the 8" loves. The 4" later got treated to a "plast & whizzer" that nulled the HF cone breakup and extended very HF to go tweeterless.

Thank you, a pipe is 25 liters in volume to share by both divers and this configuration works beautify.... 30 Hz reproduction sound as clean as a spring water..no complaints in there ☺️
Keep on dreaming if you think the backside radiated higher frequencies (what phase would those have…) from the higher crossed woofer will not in any way pass the cone of the lower. Just like PR’s (and to a lesser extent BR ports, but they have their own ‘merits’) leak some midrange sound. Just stuff the enclosure well enough, was my first advice. Applies to all X.5 systems with shared enclosures.

Keep on dreaming if you think the backside radiated higher frequencies (what phase would those have…) from the higher crossed woofer will not in any way pass the cone of the lower. Just like PR’s (and to a lesser extent BR ports, but they have their own ‘merits’) leak some midrange sound. Just stuff the enclosure well enough, was my first advice. Applies to all X.5 systems with shared enclosures.
:) I had speakers for the same time and can't complain too much ,may be midrange sound (work in progress rebuilding it ). Here you can read developing of my speakers .
Upper woofer is limited to 700 Hz and sound just fine. It is no many dreams there ;) works just fine, miniDSP 2x4 HD active FIR filters, does wonder.
How to do it, read my guide at https://rephase.org/ go to " Tutorial" and download :

Would like to ask you:
1. Who is PR ?
2. what is X.5 ?

Thank you

I hope some day mine will look and sound as good as yours.

My minimalist XO-less "LXmidi" uses 8" and 4" fiberglass-honeycomb drivers of the same make (cone material and FR similar to Mivoc XAW-208-HC/XAW-110-HC), using off-axis attenuation as low-pass and open-baffle fall-off as high-pass; I could not hear "two" drivers. Inside the can is a folded concentric transmission line which the 8" loves. The 4" later got treated to a "plast & whizzer" that nulled the HF cone breakup and extended very HF to go tweeterless.
I have no droughts, it will sound and will look better than mine. We never stop looking for better sound reproduction, do we ;)? Looks it is just make up, that will not make a better person. Sound reproduction, it is all what maters. I agree 100% with your listening experience, such configuration makes the sound more monogenic, from multiple drivers. Right now, I'm rebuilding the top part of the speaker, instead midrange and tweeter will go back to FR driver, but in enclosed . New enclosure
1666271925806.png

First layer is 3D printed when for second layer rubber applied and then 3 layers of glass fiber. Hope is as will damp all enclosure's resonance.

Last edited:
Would like to ask you:
1. Who is PR ?
2. what is X.5 ?

Thank you
PR = passive radiator
X.5 stands for any system with two (or more) bass drivers sharing a frequency band, while at least one of them has a higher lowpass. Like in 2.5 or 3.5 systems.

Do or don’t take what I wrote for granted. All is ok for me. Did you ever perform close range measurements on the cones?

Do or don’t take what I wrote for granted. All is ok for me. Did you ever perform close range measurements on the cones?
Yes, I did take measurements, but it was a long time ago...Was`t bad..... Measuring speakers it all theme for itself. It is a bunch of opinions and misinterpretations. It is hard core passive XO guys and thing get mixed up and a lot, they do job measure of 1-meter distance from the driver and that job they correct with room correction software any way, which will take measurement from your listening position. The other school, active XO hard core guys, will say drop it all and measure from your listening position, and that in my book makes a lot of sense.