1.4" or 2" throat large constant directivity horns you can actually buy!

NiToNi said:
Bjørn, you should consider a one-off group buy on here for the horn itself because there's a dearth of quality 1.4" horns of this size and shape, so demand would be big. And frankly, the DIY crowd will never cannibalise on your commercial retail sales for finished systems, those customers prefer to pay up to not have to tinker.
I have considered it. Or offer a 90x60° horn with 1.4" exit, which is the same as the the 80x50° horn except the minor wider beamwidth. Picture of it below on top of a woofer and next to Klipsch K402.
attachment.php

Right now, it would effect the complete system because we're not able to manufacture much. It wouldn't be particular cheap with the building method (much improved over PA horns like the Klipsch K402) and low production numbers. Because of the size, shipping cost will be high as well. Most DIY'ers generally expect low prices, so not sure if the market is really there. Then there's the possible challenge with demand for assistance with crossover, EQ, etc. And I'm certain some will ask about using it with other drivers than the Radian 951, which would require a new design of the adapter.

Offering a DIY horn could also potentially ruin a market brand and rumour for the finished system, though I would obviously sell it without a brand name.

So many things to consider!

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_204224 (Liten).jpg
    IMG_20190526_204224 (Liten).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,534
sfaik the K402 is a highly respected horn design. You say that your horn surpasses it in several ways and compare it directly to a competitor. Could you prove this with BEM simulation figures? Radiation impedance, polar?

Btw, it looks very similar to what the Celestion horn wizard puts out.

View attachment 985775
I don't think you can prove much by a BEM simulation because that requires an intepretation which will vary among many. And it's only one part of many parts that come into play. We'll post finished and anechoic polars and other measurements eventually. My crude horizontal indoor measurement can seen below. As I mentioned in another thread, my indoor measurements become much wider than what the speakers actually are or anechoic. So avoid looking at the actual beamwidth please.

Klipsch K402 indoor horizontal polar with no gating:
attachment.php

90x60° horn indoor horizontal polar with no gating:
attachment.php

80x50° horn indoor horizontal polar with no gating:
attachment.php

Obviously proof is in the pudding though. And which is done by AB listening (or even better: ABX if possible). But there wasn't a subtle difference, so personally I never felt a blind test was necessary here.

We AB testet it over many days in both mono and in stereo. And the Klipsch actually had an advantage here because it was using a beryllium diaphragm, while our horn wasn't. But the horn is really much more important than the driver. A customer bought a prototype of the 90x60° horn and sold his Klipsch K402 right after getting it and felt it was an improvement. Not that proves anything but anyone how buys the horn are welcome to do the comparison and make up their own mind.

Attachments

• Klipsch K402 indoor horizontal polar to 90 deg_no gating_15dB interval.png
    Klipsch K402 indoor horizontal polar to 90 deg_no gating_15dB interval.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 90x60 horn horizontal indoor polar no gating_15dB interval.jpg
    90x60 horn horizontal indoor polar no gating_15dB interval.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 80x50 horn horizontal indoor polar no gating_15 dB range.jpg
    80x50 horn horizontal indoor polar no gating_15 dB range.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,115
You could take payments in advance and drop ship directly from China on the slow boat.

No need to mess with different exit angles, it's a T-Ford in black.

Crossover, EQ etc is home turf for DIYers so no issues there.

No-name and differentiated directivity insulates opinions from your other project. Like Marcel and his free ST260 versus "Cutting Edge" line.

Otherwise product is just another "1.4" throat large constant directivity horns you cannot actually buy!", referencing the thread topic, and probably belongs under the Vendor section.

No problem...seeing is believing, huh? :)

There is no pinch. It's just reinforcing additional plastic to secure the flange to the horn. Part of the exterior of the horn from the mold.

I am curious about mounting the XT1464. I use them. I see you use a mounting plate/baffle.

The XT1464 has a roundover with a variable arc. How is response affected by -
1. Use the horn open w/o any baffle
2. Use a flat baffle of x-y size
3. Use a box or baffle with extended roundovers
4. ...

I can do any of this, but I find few examples of mounts for this horn, and no measurement comparing mounts. I will appreciate any knowledge or experience you could share.

Would be nice if manufacturers could share some options with measurements.

all this over the mechanical drawing?
i think there's an assumption being made that one of the views is a mid line cut view, when in fact it's an "outside" view, so what looks like a "throat pinch point" is in fact illustrating an "outside" casting lines!

there's enough perceptual problems with audio let's not bring visual distortions into the mix!

late to the party Earlk beat me to it!

Exactly.

I am curious about mounting the XT1464. I use them. I see you use a mounting plate/baffle.

The XT1464 has a roundover with a variable arc. How is response affected by -
1. Use the horn open w/o any baffle
2. Use a flat baffle of x-y size
3. Use a box or baffle with extended roundovers
4. ...

I can do any of this, but I find few examples of mounts for this horn, and no measurement comparing mounts. I will appreciate any knowledge or experience you could share.

I don't have any measurements of the horn alone for comparison, but here's some from one of the XT1464 boxes pictured.

The box is a trap box with side angles designed to let two or more xt1464's splay together for even coverage in a modular PA system.
It's as small as i could make it, and also exchange the baffle with other small horns.

array.jpg

dcx1464 processed at 0 deg .
Steep 500Hz hpf in place.
10 deg increments

464 on 1464 horiz 10 degree incre.JPG

This horn (XT1464) is used in the Unison MAX2 together with the ND1480

Thank you. That's a great example. Seems I am reinventing the wheel. Good to have some confirmation.

My project is modular, with a separate mount for the tweeter on top. Similar look to the Unison Max 2, but in 2 parts. Woofer boxes are complete. I needed some ideas for the tweeter box/mount. Free standing would be cheap. I don't know if a box would positively or negatively affect response. It would look more finished. The whole is slightly taller, wider, and deeper than the MAX 2. The Unison MAX 2 has a better finish. Mine are painted on all sides.

Will possibly have some interest in a better horn, when I see some real product to consider.

For the Unison MAX 2, kr. 56700 = $6554 us. Home-built, my cost for woofer, tweeter, horn, and box materials, is about $1300; but, I use bi-amp. A custom horn could almost double the cost of the project - SMH.

I don't have any measurements of the horn alone for comparison, but here's some from one of the XT1464 boxes pictured.

The box is a trap box with side angles designed to let two or more xt1464's splay together for even coverage in a modular PA system.
It's as small as i could make it, and also exchange the baffle with other small horns.

View attachment 986017

dcx1464 processed at 0 deg .
Steep 500Hz hpf in place.
10 deg increments

View attachment 986016

Thanks Mark. Your modular trapezoid boxes look good.

The curve of the dcx464/XT1464 is impressive.

What I can contribute is quasi free-standing measurement with ND4015Be (with 18s adapter) near mouth. The more the mic is moved away the LF part would come down. I generally make some initial measurements near mouth in order to blend out the room reflections. But loading is excellent down to at least 500Hz.

View attachment 986024

Thanks docali. I think this XT1464 will do just fine for my purposes.

ME464 horn

Mark, I noticed elsewhere on DIYAudio that you have experience with the ME464 horn. Do you have any thoughts on it's use for home audio?

It seems to me that there are about 3 or 4 commercial horns with 1.4" throats, that are functional for home use; the 18 Sound XT1464, Ciare PR614, FaitalPro LTH142, and possibly the ME464 for a larger horn with lower pattern control. If the first 3 were a little bit larger...

Last edited: