1.4" or 2" throat large constant directivity horns you can actually buy!

The last iteration - from hyperbola to Euler spiral and from circle to rectangle.

Attachments

• sth-jack.png
    sth-jack.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 422
  • sth-throat2.png
    sth-throat2.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 447
  • sth-throat1.png
    sth-throat1.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 442
Finally a real waveguide. I would expect it's performance to be exemplary.
Hi Earl,
I would expect both of them to perform very well.

Maybe some slight disruption of the output symmetry may be even better, I don't know (superellipse instead of a circle) -

Attachments

• base-4.png
    base-4.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 424
  • base-3.png
    base-3.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 421
  • base-2.png
    base-2.png
    106 KB · Views: 417
Hi Earl,
I would expect both of them to perform very well.

Maybe some slight disruption of the output symmetry may be even better, I don't know (superellipse instead of a circle) -

My experience is that more symmetry is better. The best waveguide that I have ever measured is purely axisymmetric.

Smaller waveguides have issues related to their size and sometimes non-symmetry can help, but in a bigger waveguide this is never going to be the case. Bigger is always best.

My experience is that more symmetry is better. The best waveguide that I have ever measured is purely axisymmetric.

Smaller waveguides have issues related to their size and sometimes non-symmetry can help, but in a bigger waveguide this is never going to be the case. Bigger is always best.
I have to admit that based on the simulations I have made so far it seems you are completely right. The size is really the key and when made big enough, the OS waveguide may be hard to beat. You have been saying this all the time and now I really know what you meant. With smaller ones, it is possible to do better. That is what we are trying here.

Last edited:
I have to admit that based on the simulations I have made so far it seems you are completely right.

I'm glad that we can agree.

I started out doing more optimal designs and kept try to push that smaller, but I always found that smaler was always seriously compromised. There is an optimum for any size however, but I never found that non-symmetric gave me any advantages.

For example, this slightly non-axisymmetric horn has dimensions of 14.7" x 13.8" (DE250). I made OS waveguides of this size before and none of them behaved so well. It may be that I gave up too early - the termination is really critical which I have realized only recently. Do you think you could design OS WG of this size to perform better?

Attachments

• STL_12_pitrs_hran.zip
    113 KB · Views: 43
  • STH_DE250_STH_polars_0_120.png
    STH_DE250_STH_polars_0_120.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited: