Reflektor-D builds

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have more more question regarding the power on the buffalo III with the reflektor

Does a power transformer like this one 30VA 9V/0V/9V would work ?

meaning having the buffalo III powered by a reflector D with 9V 15VA is enough ?

the buffalo draw about 440 ma i think....

i would power one one side the buffalo and on the other the SDTRANS...

thanks for the advice !!

You need four wire double secondaries. Each one pair of cables to each reg. Not middle tap three wire style like in that photo. 15VA @ 9V per 0.6A to 0.75A CCS reg is enough especially with R_Core that's normally cooler. 30VA is better, especially with EI.

meaning that in fact :

talking "type" NOT voltage obviously....

if anyone has a good link in europe... and not with a 4 weeks delay ... i would be interested :D:D:D:D
i saw selectronic.fr has some ...any other link ?
thanks !!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 7.21.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 7.21.48 PM.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Selectronic has the best Indian made ones from a big electrical manufacturer set on Japanese standard for R_Core. About the Chinese ones you see on Ebay, not sure how correctly made. Good custom made shielded toroids with as many secondaries to your spec as you need, can be ordered from European specialized small factories by the way. Can find some when Googling up. Like TOROIDY etc.

Thanks Salas
I did already used them for other project and they did a very good work
As i write i am on a "evaluation" and "testing" few dac and few possibility... Maybe not the definitive way .... Intead of buing plenty of r-core maybe only one or 2 custom lade transformer will do...
I wanted to go R-core but can we really hear a differnece if bith style are properly wired and carefully mounted in an xternal chassis ?
I wonder ...

Thabks for your Time salas !!

P

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would set 300mA for each one even if these circuits aren't demanding. Since adequate sinking is already there on the regs. Lots of spare current just because you can in other words. Can only do good to the MOSFETs. There is a table showing what R1 resistor for some typical CCS current levels in the manual. 2 Ohm in this case.

Why the obsession with toroids and R-cores? If it's going in an external PS box just use a split-bobbin EI. You get excellent rejection of HF noise without needing a shield, and usually they're cheaper, too, so you can use multiple transformers, one for each circuit/channel. That's what I do in my gear; my tube output DAC has four EI trannies, and two Salas Reflector-Ds for the DAC and USB board. Sounds great!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Finished my ReflektorD from the last GB a few days ago :)
It's powering Lorien's WaveIO async USB interface and the difference from a linear supply is, well, WOW. The sound is in a new class now.

Marko congratulations for your upgrade. We can't see the pictures though. Something wrong with the linking maybe. You can try to upload them as attachments.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Like those TO-220s from Infineon or ST? No, I did not have such parts in my drawer by now. All I know is they have advantages in hard switching applications for efficiency and smoothness. In such low comparatively demand as in our reg maybe stressed to make a difference. BTW they can be 10 times costlier than a MUR820 for example. But if you got any spare ones it would be nice to compare against Si good ones on the Reflektor in your system and tell us an opinion.

I use Schottky diodes almost exclusively in my gear, from 3.5V Reflector-D supplies to the 2.5kV power supplies for my amps (see Cree diode bridge for one of my amps in picture, 20 SiC diodes per bridge).

I think they sound excellent. The SiC variety are great for high voltages; regular Si Schottkys are fine for lower voltages.

BTW, regular Si Schottkys have lower forward voltage; SiC are higher in Vf.

Attachments

• 833 Amp HT Diode Bridge.jpg
    833 Amp HT Diode Bridge.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Hi,
I need some help regarding my project of upgrading the power supply on my DCX2496 digital crossover. I'll remove the original SMPS and some of the onboard 7805s and replace them with ReflektorDs. I need four voltages, 5 (400mA) and 3.3 V (280 mA) for the digital part and 5(180mA) and 3.3 V (30mA) for the DACs. A fift regulator is allready powering the WaveIO at 500mA load consumption.

The available space is very limited and I can't place five boards side by side. My plan is to build the shunts on veroboard, place the power mosfets side by side and mout the boards vertically in a row. I'll make an addition to the existig chassis to make it higher and to allow for extensive ventilation.

Now, how sensitive is the ReflektorD to layout and component placement? I know my way around sinking heat from active components so I'll be generous with the surface area and ventilation. I'm concerned about my expertise in designing PCBs ( or making it on a perforated board ). Nothing a few jumper wires above and below the board won't solve but if the layout is critical and the circuit prone to oscillation that might be a problem...