Tony's latest traffo DIY build

above #18, i tend to do the winding manually since turns count is very low...
experience will tell you which wires to run in the machine and which one can be done by hand...
i once did a traffo with #12 primary and #10 secondary, took me and two of my brothers-in-law to build the coil by hand....

Sir do you have idea on input trafo? how many turns on a standard 5/8 inch center leg trafo...not the booster type but for a coupling purpose such as the one discussed in Vfets amp by Mr.Pass

Attachments

• jensen.jpg
    jensen.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 438
Hi All

I did want to make a weld transformer who has to go to max 140 amp on a 220 v grid.

I have found some used trafo,s who has a big core, amp get regulated with primary windings and fixed secondary windings, make the trafo for the highest amperage 30 % and the lowest 100% of time before it get to hot.

I did not find the formulas to calculate this properly.

regards

kees

Hi Andrew

this picture lets see what I mean, use primairy as current setting only on high current I can weld not so long before heat then on low amperage who can weld continu.

But find formulas for the calculation is noet everywhere so I have to do it myself.

shematic is example, so diodes are just choosen for easy quick schematic.

regards

kees

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_159 Aug. 11 19.35.jpg
    ScreenHunter_159 Aug. 11 19.35.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 272
Hi Andrew

this picture lets see what I mean, use primairy as current setting only on high current I can weld not so long before heat then on low amperage who can weld continu.

But find formulas for the calculation is noet everywhere so I have to do it myself.

shematic is example, so diodes are just choosen for easy quick schematic.

regards

kees
Sorry but diodes are wired wrong.

And the transformer needs some means to limit current, brcause the secondary arc behaves like a short.

It can have an adjustable gap, an adjustable series inductance, or both.

Sorry but diodes are wired wrong.

And the transformer needs some means to limit current, brcause the secondary arc behaves like a short.

It can have an adjustable gap, an adjustable series inductance, or both.

Hi it is just a sample, quickly drawn, just to give a idea what I want.

Like it is drawn so it sits in the welder machine, however trafo is 3 fase and I need one
so make a new transformer, winding it is not complicated but calculate it for this way
is more difficult.

regards

kees

yes, some have adjustable air gaps to limit current(prevent core saturation)....

which types do you have? a picture will help...

I have a normal big trafo who core is big enough, I have to rewind it for what I want to do.

As tell, the diodes are normal 150 ampere types 4 pieces with a elco 10.000 uF for a CO2 welder.

adjustable airgap I do now it is most vor ac welders with a stick and a wheel, but not usable for the Co2 welding machine, this need a trafo like drawn.

regards

It is this kind of trafo, even bigger core then this one.

I did have a core for a inverter welder made partly, this kind of welding is
better to work with. see picture two, who has only primairy winding.

regards

Attachments

• sptr03.jpg
    sptr03.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN1724.JPG
    DSCN1724.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited: