Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Wake on LAN isn't supported on the Raspberry Pi, nothing to do with Moode.

If the hardware doesn't physically support it, nothing the OS or an app can do will make it happen

Given the ridiculously low idle current the Pi draws, why wouldn't you leave it powered on?

WOL was designed for two reasons: to save corporates electricity and to allow maintenance out of hours on turned off pcs. Neither really apply to a computer drawing a hundred or so milliamperes.

You can turn down the clock to save even more at idle, getting the draw down under 50mA.

The phone charger you leave plugged in doing nothing draws about the same as an idle Pi

squeezelite settings

Gentlmen I have been exploring squeezlite and have a couple of questions. I have 2 pi with iqaudio dacs in different parts of the house both connected by lan with 1 usb hdd connected to 1 pi and accessed as nas from the other. I normally run oversampled to 32,384 and am very pleased with the sq.
I have used them independently till now but was interested in syncing them using squeezlite, downloaded lms and got it working but was not pleased with sq. Investigated Audio Info and found it was playing at source rate. I did a little research on sueezlite site and changed moode settings to : alsa to 32 bit and other to max sample rate , ie. 384. This seems to overload the lan, producuing a "rough" sound . Setting to 24 bit helped but I have not found any other setting for sample rate except native or max. Is this settable?

Lastly is the only way to disengage squeezlite to turn it off in audio config?

Thanks for youe great work. I sometimes wonder about people that must spend all their time in front of a computer! But then I remember that I have been there! Thanks Tim!

Hi!

Out of my experience, Squeezelite with the whole overloaded LMS can't compete with MPD with respect to sound quality. I left this path after a longer experimental phase. I'm very pleased with MPD-based systems- the more lightweight the distro is built up, the better the sound. Compared to all the Pi- and Odroid-Music-Players out there (including volumio, rune, picore-player...etc), MOODE and especially ARCHPHILE are delivering the best sound quality- no doubt! In addition: Both, Moode and Archphile REALLY work- flawlessly!

I prefer the MPD-implementation clearly to squeezelite. I'm streaming Tidal with the fantastic Bubble-Upnp-App and am using the Moode-internal-Web-Gui for radio-streaming and HDD- or USB-Stick-playback.

Also I'm running Archphile in parallel, works perfect with Bubble either and as it is designed without a CPU-demanding web-gui, I'm controlling it with the excellent MPDroid-client (for Android-phone) when radio-streaming or playing HDD- or USB-Stick- stored music.

BTW: One can use MPDroid also with Moode for simple controlling and faster access and response;-)

Greetingz, Robert

Gentlmen I have been exploring squeezlite and have a couple of questions. I have 2 pi with iqaudio dacs in different parts of the house both connected by lan with 1 usb hdd connected to 1 pi and accessed as nas from the other. I normally run oversampled to 32,384 and am very pleased with the sq.
I have used them independently till now but was interested in syncing them using squeezlite, downloaded lms and got it working but was not pleased with sq. Investigated Audio Info and found it was playing at source rate. I did a little research on sueezlite site and changed moode settings to : alsa to 32 bit and other to max sample rate , ie. 384. This seems to overload the lan, producuing a "rough" sound . Setting to 24 bit helped but I have not found any other setting for sample rate except native or max. Is this settable?

Lastly is the only way to disengage squeezlite to turn it off in audio config?

Thanks for youe great work. I sometimes wonder about people that must spend all their time in front of a computer! But then I remember that I have been there! Thanks Tim!

What speed is your LAN?

Is your source material still on a USB-attached drive on your Pi? If it is, you are hauling the source back to your LMS, then sending it back to the source device, as well as the other, synched, device.

Even 10Mbit Ethernet should be able to handle 32/384, but if you're sending it back and forth, itsmthe turnaround that's killing you. Try attaching your source to LMS and see if that works any better.

When you've finished sending data from LMS, isqueezelite should quiesce and allow MPD or AirPlay to run

Another option which I am just starting to work with is configure all payers (regardless of brand, variety, etc..) to use UPNP and use logitech media server as the interface to all players. This allows native use of MPD I believe and provides a single fornt-end to all audio players. Current setup run (2) sonos, 1 kodi on Android, 1 moode player.

One caveat with all this is sync issues with all players. UNPN was not designed for this. It does work on the sonos players perfectly however if they are grouped in the sonos app.

My testing of this type of setup is in its early phase (a coupe of days ago) so I am sure short comings will become apparent. The key is one consistent interface for all audio players regardless of brand and technology.

Yvon.

Hi,

SoX multithreading working in Moode 3.2 :)

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r32-soxthreading.png
    moode-r32-soxthreading.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 352
Does anyone know if a can stream via Bluetooth to Moode? I'm thinking of an Amazon Echo Dot, which can only connect via Aux or Bluetooth. I'd like to stream Spotify from the Echo Dot via my Moode player through my DAC.

I think the answer is "not easily". Though if someone tells me I'm wrong and that it is easy, well, that might be a pleasant surprise.

AIUI Linux bluetooth audio requires Pulseaudio (or similar?!?). This was not the case in the past when it interfaced to ALSA.

It may be possible to do it, though it would require some fancy dancing to get Pulseaudio to appear as an input to MPD/MoOde.

Originally Posted by TimCurtis View Post
Hi,

Reboot and then post output from the cmd below and I'll investigate.

cat /var/log/moode.log

-Tim

can anybody please help me with this im totally new with this

thx

I think Tim's asking you to SSH (remote connect) into your Raspberry Pi and run a program from the command line, using the command he gave you. You may need to take a screenshot (Alt+PrtScr in Windows) showing the text the program outputs.

If you don't have it set up already, connect your Pi to your network (probably best to use Ethernet connection). Download and install a program named PuTTy on your Windows PC.

Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows

Run Putty, username = pi, password = raspberry. I think you need to put the phrase "sudo" before each command, but I'm not sure of that (being that I'm a complete newbie too).

I hope that helps get you started.
--

Putty/SSH

Here's a tutorial on using putty. If this one doesn't help there are videos on Youtube that will show you how it works. Just do a search on "putty howto" or "ssh howto".

The instructions look intimidating but it's really a pretty simple process. After you do it once or twice it'll become second nature to you.

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204404604/using-ssh-in-putty-

Hi, can anyone tell me of MoodeAudio has built-in support for the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro on-board clocks? Thanks!
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "support for the on-board clocks".
I have a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro working with Moode, and the default state that HAT board works in is Master mode, whereby the RPi is slaved to the DAC+ Pro's on-board clocks rather than vice versa.
I have seen references to various hacks that can allow the HB DAC+ Pro to work in slave mode, for instance with a Kali re-clocker or similar, but it takes some doing.
In all other cases, the HB DAC+ Pro works in Master clock mode with an RPi as slave, and yes Moode is compatible/has the I2S configuration for it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "support for the on-board clocks".
I have a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro working with Moode, and the default state that HAT board works in is Master mode, whereby the RPi is slaved to the DAC+ Pro's on-board clocks rather than vice versa.
I have seen references to various hacks that can allow the HB DAC+ Pro to work in slave mode, for instance with a Kali re-clocker or similar, but it takes some doing.
In all other cases, the HB DAC+ Pro works in Master clock mode with an RPi as slave, and yes Moode is compatible/has the I2S configuration for it.

Thanks for the reply. My HB DAC+ Pro hasn't arrived yet but I'm using the 3.5mm output on my Pi2 right now with Volumio. The webif is pretty glitchy so I think I'll Moode on there. It looks like Moode is more actively developed than any of the other options at the moment so I'm glad I found this.

Why would one want the DAC clocks to be slave to the Pi? It seems to me that if the DAC clocks are the ones designed for audio processing then you'd want them to be the master on a box that was dedicated to playing music.