Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

What is the best Alsa Volume for the Hifiberry Dac+ Pro? Hope someone can answer this question!

Hi,

Best configuration for this and any PCM5122 based board is below:

- MPD config: set MPD volume = Hardware
- Customize: set Logarithmic curve = Yes

Another config is to set MPD volume to Software. This automatically sets ALSA volume to 0 dB (100%).

-Tim

Thanks, Tim. The last time I looked at this repo, there was still only the supposition that the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro board was emitting excessive EMI. i'm guessing the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro board could be using the same oscillators and hence could suffer the same problem but searching the repo turns up no corresponding issue.

I have a HiFiBerry Digi +- Transformer version and when I play 24-96 music I am getting too much RF interference with my URC home theatre remote control system. The interference is not there with 44.1 music.

Putting a tin plate over the Pi helps but the interference is still there. Does any one know if there is a case out there that will act as a faraday cage?

The ability to admit his products are less than perfect seems to be difficult for Daniel.

He must have failed the 'service' part of the customer service course.

Thanks for your observation.

it's a pity. Daniel and HiFiBerry are clearly capable of creating good audio products when they put their minds to it. The challenge for them is, they aren't the only game in town. Others have products with comparable features and pricing. You've named IQAudio several times and the list of DACs supported in Moode Player keeps growing. In this Internet age where most people never see these speciality products in a bricks-and-mortar store but instead do their research and purchasing on-line, customer loyalty is a fragile commodity.

As for me, if I have to pay the return shipping cost then I'm not likely to bother with an exchange. I'd rather pay a marginally higher cost to get some other board. Meanwhile, I can think of an installation for a friend where the difficult location of his entertainment system would dictate I'd have to use an external WiFi Adapter anyway. Put my HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro and an older RPi into his existing metal chassis and we could be on our way using parts already at hand.

Regards,
Kent

PS - I noticed you mentioned Horokiwi in a previous post. I had to consult Google Maps. Turns out I was just up State Highway 2 a bit from there several decades ago. I was visiting the Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ) to talk with folks there about getting involved in an international standards activity I had a hand in. Small world.

I have a HiFiBerry Digi +- Transformer version and when I play 24-96 music I am getting too much RF interference with my URC home theatre remote control system. The interference is not there with 44.1 music.

Putting a tin plate over the Pi helps but the interference is still there. Does any one know if there is a case out there that will act as a faraday cage?

Tim's new case?

There's lots of tricks that can be played with everything from physical shielding (like a solid case or a copper mesh cage) to bypass capacitors and ferrite cores, even full electrical isolation; consult online sources on RFI/EMI, e.g., for amateur radio operators.

Regards,
Kent

Also happy to report that a full

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

DOES NOT break 3.1 as of 7th Jan 2017, approx 160 packages get updated. I have however not tried using the "Advanced Kernel" after doing this so that is untested.

You'll get two prompts when it comes to upgrading some of the PHP packages, for both of them select "keep the locally installed version" which is the default option anyway.

@Tim I know you don't support manual package upgrades but I like to keep my networked devices up to date, especially when they are running samba/ssh/web servers

Cheers
LTF

In one of my old posts I posted the Iptables commands to create this "gateway" scenario of the pi being conned to Ethernet, also broadcasting its own AP and devices connected to that AP being able to access the internet.

Possibly a useful enhancement?

LTF

Hi,

AP mode does not support Internet gateway. You should configure Moode via Network config screen for the SSID and password of your home WiFi LAN.

-Tim

Attachments

• mambo_ls_1.png
    mambo_ls_1.png
    865.3 KB · Views: 376
  • mambo_ls_2.png
    mambo_ls_2.png
    878.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Thanks for your observation.

it's a pity. Daniel and HiFiBerry are clearly capable of creating good audio products when they put their minds to it. The challenge for them is, they aren't the only game in town. Others have products with comparable features and pricing. You've named IQAudio several times and the list of DACs supported in Moode Player keeps growing. In this Internet age where most people never see these speciality products in a bricks-and-mortar store but instead do their research and purchasing on-line, customer loyalty is a fragile commodity.

As for me, if I have to pay the return shipping cost then I'm not likely to bother with an exchange. I'd rather pay a marginally higher cost to get some other board. Meanwhile, I can think of an installation for a friend where the difficult location of his entertainment system would dictate I'd have to use an external WiFi Adapter anyway. Put my HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro and an older RPi into his existing metal chassis and we could be on our way using parts already at hand.

Regards,
Kent

PS - I noticed you mentioned Horokiwi in a previous post. I had to consult Google Maps. Turns out I was just up State Highway 2 a bit from there several decades ago. I was visiting the Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ) to talk with folks there about getting involved in an international standards activity I had a hand in. Small world.

Unless you can get the transceiver a decent distance from the dac, you might still get interference. A panel-mount USB extender is cheap enough, though, and the steel chassis should kill the stray RF.

BRANZ is still in Petone, same building you would have visited.

Horokiwi is a funny place, fully rural with tank water, septics and smallholdings, but minutes from the cbd of the capital.

It will change, they are driving a road from SH1 to SH2 right over the hills, it will become just another suburb.

I don't have the Digi problem, but work a lot with wifi and other rf sources.

I use copper adhesive tape, in 30mm width. Line your plastic case, make sure it's earthed.

You will need to use an external wifi transceiver. If you have shielded it right, no on-board is going to get past the cage.

I get my tape here:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...rrier-Preventing-Snails-from/32763668372.html

Easy install - line the case and cut out the holes you need with a hobby knife.

You will use less than half a metre. Getting an Earth can be tricky as it's hard to solder, I usually just run a tap from the pcb mount that I've screwed through the tape. Easy to check for connectivity with a multimeter. Watch for shorts.

Another option is lead tape, easier to join and Earth and gives decent heft to your devices, but some people are funny about using lead.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10P...ad-Coating-Roll-Carp-Fishing/32726764696.html

You will need something like 3M vhb tape for lead, I have t found any with adhesive

Last edited:

There is a HiFi Berry Digital metal case.

Hi All!

I'm a Tidal Hifi user and am streaming Tidal-tracks to Moode on a Pi3 by using Bubble-UPNP-App on my Android phone. Now Tidal offers Master Audio Quality files but only via desktop-Tidal-installation. So, is there a way to stream this Tidal Master-Audio-Quality files to Moode-renderer? Tune blade (airplay) and bubble upnp server set a limit of 16bit 44.1khz for streaming- so this isn't satisfying.

Has anybody got an idea to realize MAQ streaming to Moode without the process of downscaling the original stream out of Tidal?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Greetingz, Robert

Hi All!

I'm a Tidal Hifi user and am streaming Tidal-tracks to Moode on a Pi3 by using Bubble-UPNP-App on my Android phone. Now Tidal offers Master Audio Quality files but only via desktop-Tidal-installation. So, is there a way to stream this Tidal Master-Audio-Quality files to Moode-renderer? Tune blade (airplay) and bubble upnp server set a limit of 16bit 44.1khz for streaming- so this isn't satisfying.

Has anybody got an idea to realize MAQ streaming to Moode without the process of downscaling the original stream out of Tidal?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Robert,

MQA stands for Master Quality Authenticated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Quality_Authenticated

-Tim