Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

UPNP/DLNA

Hi Tim,
the possibility to let Moode act as a UPNP/DLNA Server is great ! But the implemented program (in Moode 2.7, Pi2 B+) is miniDLNA 1.1.2, which is outdated for some time. In a while the product has been renamed to ReadyMedia, current Version is 1.1.5, downloadable via SourceForge. Maybe it's a good idea to integrate it in the next Moode-Update ?

Another point: miniDLNA builds it's datebase by default every time, moode will be booted. For a music-lib with 81.000 tracks it takes 200 minutes ! But in the config file an inotify-mode could be adjusted to only insert the new tracks into the database.

Regards, Klaus

Sorry - tried to reply from my phone and screwed it up last time. Touch screen and fat fingers.
The lan is 100mps, but i think you are correct - it is the back and forth on 1 leg that causes the problems. I only use the squeezelite for "casual" listening - critical listening is 1 pi at a time - so I don't mind reduced sq - but 16/44 was too reduced. As I mentioned I reduced to 24bit and this helped, but could not find a setting for sample rate other than passing the source rate or re-sampling to the max of the player - 384k. Something in between - 192k - might work fine but I cannot find a setting for this - Is there one that you know of?

Thanks! MG

Hi Tim!

Thanks for your effort putting into moode. really a cool piece of sw!!

Hi ForumMembers!
I'm running Pi3 with Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO V3 (with no hardware volume control) and searching for advice or guidance to get the settings leading to the best possible audioquality.
I stream spoti.y but also have a local collection of music on my NAS (from mp3 to flac to highres to dsd ... anything available ...;-)

any advise? any guidebook or something?

kindest regards
Thomas
greetings from austra

crossover functionality?

Not listed in the supported DACs is the Piano DAC. Others have reported that Volumio works with the RPi + Kali + Piano DAC stack. Has anyone used moode with this?

https://volumio.org/forum/allo-piano-dac-kali-i2s-reclocker-t4997-10.html

Halloran also posts a pic in that thread where volumio includes support for a crossover. The piano dac 2.1 has two sets of rca outputs - one for the mains and one for subwoofers. I wonder if this mixer functionality is part of the base driver installation for debian and maybe accessible from moode?

interface consideration?

I am enjoying moode very much (and have contributed). I wonder tho if any consideration/discussion about the UI would be appropriate. I respect Tim for his slavish devotion to all the forums that he supports for moode and realize that he has a 'regular' life as well. The principal modification would be to remove all the little 'hamburger' icons and replace them with checkboxes. Then just have one hamburger icon in the menu. I have created some mockups to better illustrate what i am suggesting. In these mockups I have used a blue checkmark instead of hamburger.
1)Playback tab
-checkboxes
-blue checkmark in menubar
http://www.imagebam.com/image/1ce583526724498
2)Playback tab when clicking on blue checkmark
http://www.imagebam.com/image/8dd457526726002
3)Library tab
http://www.imagebam.com/image/7900b7526725982
4)Library tab when clicking on blue checkmark
http://www.imagebam.com/image/3d942d526725991

Last edited:
Hi Tim,
the possibility to let Moode act as a UPNP/DLNA Server is great ! But the implemented program (in Moode 2.7, Pi2 B+) is miniDLNA 1.1.2, which is outdated for some time. In a while the product has been renamed to ReadyMedia, current Version is 1.1.5, downloadable via SourceForge. Maybe it's a good idea to integrate it in the next Moode-Update ?

Another point: miniDLNA builds it's datebase by default every time, moode will be booted. For a music-lib with 81.000 tracks it takes 200 minutes ! But in the config file an inotify-mode could be adjusted to only insert the new tracks into the database.

Regards, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Try Moode 3.1

The MiniDLNA configuration in Moode definitely does not automatically reindex its database at boot/reboot time. User has to manually initiate reindexing via the Audio config screen by either turning off/on DLNA server, changing its name, or by clicking "Rebuild DLNA database".

-Tim

How to use Android Phone as controller for Moode Audio player?

How are you trying to connect..? From a computer or a phone ? From a wired network or wireless...?

"http://moode" or "http://moode.local" won't work from an Android device but there is an easy fix.

May be I am a newbie around Moode, but I was able to get it working with PI2 and DACmagic. It sounds really great (better than with Runeaudio)

However, with Runeaudio there was an Android Phone APP, and I do not think with Moode. I have tried with a few browsers on my Android Phone to get it working (diyAudio server HTTPS page and moode.local) but no luck.

May be I missed some documentation on this (I have searched, but cannot find it), so please your help on to use Moode player via your Phone

thanks!
Henk

Skypickle, not really sure I like your approach. I understand the problematic, but really not convinced that your solution is te best approach.

Perhaps for this scenarios copying heavily-invested UI and UX companies like Spotify or Apple is a good starting point. This select-then-click-hamburguer-then-action really feels heavy to me.

Just my thought, I really value the effort!

Friends, I am using Moode more and more. When playing local files, it's a great experience.

Wen air playing into mood, I get usually interrupted by calls, Skypes, cannot watch a short video on the phone or iPad, not really great!

Is there a quick way to configure Spotify Connect AS WELL AS airplay? I don't want to loose the latter, just add the former?

I have a premium account.

Thanks for any feedback.

Best regards,
Rafa.

May be I am a newbie around Moode, but I was able to get it working with PI2 and DACmagic. It sounds really great (better than with Runeaudio)

However, with Runeaudio there was an Android Phone APP, and I do not think with Moode. I have tried with a few browsers on my Android Phone to get it working (diyAudio server HTTPS page and moode.local) but no luck.

May be I missed some documentation on this (I have searched, but cannot find it), so please your help on to use Moode player via your Phone

thanks!
Henk

Android can't resolve .local addresses. You will have to find the IP address and use that.

You can make a desktop icon/app for Moode once you've found it.

Friends, I am using Moode more and more. When playing local files, it's a great experience.

Wen air playing into mood, I get usually interrupted by calls, Skypes, cannot watch a short video on the phone or iPad, not really great!

Is there a quick way to configure Spotify Connect AS WELL AS airplay? I don't want to loose the latter, just add the former?

I have a premium account.

Thanks for any feedback.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Moode doesn't incllude a spotify client, you will need to stream it using one of the supported services.

Android can't resolve .local addresses. You will have to find the IP address and use that.

You can make a desktop icon/app for Moode once you've found it.

Thanks. That worked. On the Android phone it does not render so well, especially the library does not show fully.

On the iPad mini, I had the same problem with moode.local not working, so I used the IP address. Here it renders well.

If I want to make it user-friendly, I probably need to take a fixed IP address for the Moode web-site and make a short-cut to this on the iPad mini.

Any advice to make this user-friendly is appreciated !

Btw: sound is great, even using the USB-based DACmagic, I might move to I2S DAC in future

Yes, I know, but there are people reporting success with a small github repo and instructions for Volumio "with some changes".

So I was looking if someone has more detailed instructions as to what these changes are. Maybe we can even creat a small 'how to' together.

If every solution is: "you will have to figure it out", very few people will be able to do so, at least without a lot of effort.

Thanks,
Rafa.

Thanks. That worked. On the Android phone it does not render so well, especially the library does not show fully.

On the iPad mini, I had the same problem with moode.local not working, so I used the IP address. Here it renders well.

If I want to make it user-friendly, I probably need to take a fixed IP address for the Moode web-site and make a short-cut to this on the iPad mini.

Any advice to make this user-friendly is appreciated !

Btw: sound is great, even using the USB-based DACmagic, I might move to I2S DAC in future

There is a third party android app that works with Moode (the developer uses moode and tests it against the app :) )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trans_code.music314.free

Pi Music (search using that case and spacing ;)
Try the free version first....there is a paid version.I use that.

The app shows the Moode interface full screen without the browser wrapped around it.

Quick related question: I want to setup a Pi3 that connects to my audio receiver and basically does:

a) receive LMS audio streams
b) has a USB Tuner (DVB) to stream to Kodi clients with tvheadend

I thought I will use moode for this and simply install tvheadend (not sure if possible, but I guess so).

My question is: As it connects to my audio receiver, can/should I use HDMI? Or should I get something like the Pi-Digi+?

Tim:

On my Huawei Nexus 6P phone displaying in portrait mode the left column of the Library panel is missing. Rotating the phone into landscape mode gets me all three columns. I believe this is what befreediy means by "does not render so well". The Library panels displays just fine on my Google Nexus 9 tablet in either mode. Ya gotta love all these mobile devices and their different aspect ratios.

befreediy:

There is a third party android app that works with Moode (the developer uses moode and tests it against the app :) )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trans_code.music314.free

Pi Music (search using that case and spacing ;)
Try the free version first....there is a paid version.I use that.

The app shows the Moode interface full screen without the browser wrapped around it.

I just tried this app on my phone. Yes, it renders Moode without the browser frame but it has exactly the same problem with the Library panel as one might expect since it's processing the same pages served up by Moode.

Furthermore, the "host scanning" function in this app offered up a previously stored MoodeAP IP address (172.24.1.1) on my phone and not the Moode Audio Player's current IP address on my wireless LAN. It doesn't look like there's any built-in mDNS magic.

The free version is good for just 7 days. That should be long enough to make up your mind whether it's useful to you.

Regards,
Kent

I just tried this app on my phone. Yes, it renders Moode without the browser frame but it has exactly the same problem with the Library panel as one might expect since it's processing the same pages served up by Moode.

Furthermore, the "host scanning" function in this app offered up a previously stored MoodeAP IP address (172.24.1.1) on my phone and not the Moode Audio Player's current IP address on my wireless LAN. It doesn't look like there's any built-in mDNS magic.

The free version is good for just 7 days. That should be long enough to make up your mind whether it's useful to you.

Regards,
Kent

Yep for the library ....though I thought everyone went sideways for this...:)

I think the scanning is expanded for the paid version...it certainly picked up my new wireless address automagically after my EOP devices died and I had to install an access point..:) (is there a 'scan' option on your free trial or does it only show the previous ip address ? Hit the 'Host' button and see if the scan option appears...)

Last edited:
Yes, I know, but there are people reporting success with a small github repo and instructions for Volumio "with some changes".

So I was looking if someone has more detailed instructions as to what these changes are. Maybe we can even creat a small 'how to' together.

If every solution is: "you will have to figure it out", very few people will be able to do so, at least without a lot of effort.

Thanks,
Rafa.

Rafa, I'm puzzled by your closing sentence here. You asked if there is a quick way to configure Spotify Connect (I assume this means to connect with Moode). Zootalaws gave you the precisely correct answer that Moode doesn't include a Spotify client. So no, there is no quick way here. It is literally true that someone will have to figure out how to create such a connection.

I don't see this response as a generic push-back to every question, many of which have been asked and forthrightly answered in this forum over the years, but a specific answer to the specific question you posed.

It would seem to me that if one wants to know what people are doing to connect Spotify to Volumio based on some github project, then the proper place to ask about it is wherever those people are reporting success, which surely isn't here. Since Moode isn't Volumio and Volumio isn't Moode, it isn't clear to me what one would do with the information once received. My suspicion is that "a lot of effort" would be involved, but that isn't for me to say.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent