F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I agree that the units has a number of parts that are heavy, the only thing i wont have is the chokes, so I expect the V3 properly done with 2 large toroids lots of caps , but no chokes is stll going to come in at 60 to 80 Kgs ( Just the heat sinks will be around 40Kg, 500mm x 400mm 0.08 d/w) ( I may look at CLC if I can find a source for chokes with a suitale currnet rating)

I think this only confirms what others have stated early on that a well done V3 is going to be quite a costly exercise - no chance to do this one on the cheap

Well I started with my DIY case with the Fischer heat sinks 500mmx 300mm .1d/w, you dont loose much by reducing the height by 100mm, actually only drops 0.02 d/w. The investment is pretty heavy 1300 chf for 2 heat sinks and 6 week lead time (So I hope the boards will be ready some time around then, but rules me out as being able to be a prototype tester)
This is certainly going to be a heavy investment

The rest of case design I have to start now

Tea bag I am keen to get som FQA devices when the are avaliable

Jacco thanks for te advise on the voltage etc, I guess I need a least a 1000VA trafo - so now to source that monster

Joined 2011
Paid Member
How much for the 5u cases ...?

HiFi200 cases:
5U/400mm w/10mm faceplate is EUR210 (4 200x40x210mm heatsinks)
5U/500mm w/10mm faceplate is EUR260 (4 250x40x210mm heatsinks)

They have volume discounts 2 = 6%, 3=10% .. so for 2 it's EUR244.40 plus shipping. Shipping won't be cheap, so get a quote before you order. If shipping to the US, expect a call from FedEx explaining the material of "screws" are made from...

I would ask for blank rear-covers as they sometimes have cutouts for power sockets and you might prefer a different location. You can also ask for blank top/bottom covers, full vented top/bottom covers for no additional charge.

Not really a fan of the feet they offer, they have a rubber insert with a hard plastic exterior shell that falls off. I've picked up some Peavey feet that seem to do the trick better than what HiFi offers.

Bracing with for the bottom cover is lacking. If you notice in the picture the top screws are only on the sides, the bottom is the same, but there should be something in the front and back as well if you plan to mount feet and a heavy transformer to it. Easy to address though, but something I would recommend asking HiFi for those about to order the case.

Jim

Last edited:
HiFi200 cases:
5U/400mm w/10mm faceplate is EUR210 (4 200x40x210mm heatsinks)
5U/500mm w/10mm faceplate is EUR260 (4 250x40x210mm heatsinks)

They have volume discounts 2 = 6%, 3=10% .. so for 2 it's EUR244.40 plus shipping. Shipping won't be cheap, so get a quote before you order. If shipping to the US, expect a call from FedEx explaining the material of "screws" are made from...

I would ask for blank rear-covers as they sometimes have cutouts for power sockets and you might prefer a different location. You can also ask for blank top/bottom covers, full vented top/bottom covers for no additional charge.

Not really a fan of the feet they offer, they have a rubber insert with a hard plastic exterior shell that falls off. I've picked up some Peavey feet that seem to do the trick better than what HiFi offers.

Bracing with for the bottom cover is lacking. If you notice in the picture the top screws are only on the sides, the bottom is the same, but there should be something in the front and back as well if you plan to mount feet and a heavy transformer to it. Easy to address though, but something I would recommend asking HiFi for those about to order the case.

Jim

At those prices + shipping to the US, I would think it better to build your own case .. DIY ... look at that...:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.