Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just adding fuel to the fire...years ago a diy friend of mine made two identical resistor-based passive pots, one using Vishay and the other Shinko. Of the two, the Shinko sounded sweeter and more organic. You'll get no argument from me about this from me because it is fact based on extensive listening. I had a very nicely build pot made for my ICE amp, from an Australian supplier recently. Unfortunately I didn't know Shinko resistors were still available (from Parts Connection) pricey, yes, but I would have happily gone that way had I known. The Vishay are ok but sound just a touch mechanical and un-involving in this configuration.

Just adding fuel to the fire...years ago a diy friend of mine made two identical resistor-based passive pots, one using Vishay and the other Shinko. Of the two, the Shinko sounded sweeter and more organic. You'll get no argument from me about this from me because it is fact based on extensive listening. I had a very nicely build pot made for my ICE amp, from an Australian supplier recently. Unfortunately I didn't know Shinko resistors were still available (from Parts Connection) pricey, yes, but I would have happily gone that way had I known. The Vishay are ok but sound just a touch mechanical and un-involving in this configuration.

Using a ICE amp :(

Erlend, I have had the same experience. That is why we used the original Roderstein resistors rather than Vishay bulk metal types.

Mr. Curl I have very big respect for you. Can you please tell about powersupplys and cables ? Is there metallized film capasitors in the supplys ?

If I use MKT or MKP in a supply I can hear the same as you. When I quite this capasitors the problem is gone.

I have tried them from Hificollective and from Partsconnexion but I do not think the sound is like those I have heard earlier wich also had another color. I think they found some old stock without termination and added their own. Because of this they do not have the same neutrality. Those old ones was the only wich could make Copenhagen Hifi club ;s Tripath sound clear in the midrange.

Are you awake? The color change MEANS that the resistor material has changed. Thirty years ago, Owens Corning made a resistor that changed from grey to green. I called the factory, and they told me it was the SAME. I measured its excess noise with a Quatech noise analyzer, thanks to Scott's Wurcer's advice, and measured a SERIOUS difference in excess noise. I never trusted a sales rep, or factory engineer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.