Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I tried

my favorite are:

# Riken RMG .... detailed, warm, open, never failed in any modification

# Vishay Dale .... clean and never harsh, no coloration mid, great to replace cheap metal film resistor

# Mills wirewound .... clean and great for power supply

# Kiwame .... warm, little bit veiled compared to riken, high not as detailed as riken

# Vishay S102 .... very good but very expensive .. :redhot:

cheers....

Peter Daniel said:
With time spend on experimenting, one develops different kind of perception and notices much more with subtle sound changes.;)

LOL

Gotta love the placebo effect. If you THINK your tweaks or expensive [resistors/caps/cables/op-amps, etc.] will sound better, you WILL hear things. Try some double-blind testing pre/during/post modifications with friends not knowing what to expect and see if the results are the same.

LOL

Gotta love the placebo effect. If you THINK your tweaks or expensive [resistors/caps/cables/op-amps, etc.] will sound better, you WILL hear things. Try some double-blind testing pre/during/post modifications with friends not knowing what to expect and see if the results are the same.

the true is: double-blind testing is merely of very low standard for serious audio parts performance review

me, my family, my friend have been comparing the sound quality of two famous brand of resistors for over 6 years

a pro-shop helped me to make a discrete resistors typed volumn control using two difference famous brands of resistors 6 years ago...and we have been comparing since than

I built an amp using some nude bulk foil resistors sold by Texas Components. The company is in some partnership with Vishay. I believe they're the same or at least very similar to the vishay bulk foil resistors. I'm very pleased with the sound quality and their service was top-notch even for a small guy like me.

Just checked and they offer Vishay bulk foils (such as S102) as well as their own versions using the same foil from vishay. They also offer upgraded versions using vishays Z foil. The prices are enough to make any engineer choke of course but for us DIY'ers sometimes you can splurge since you're not mass producing.

i use the Dale RS55 antimagnetic from Schuro because i can get them easily and they are as good as anything i tried with one eception. if i want to do better i take the Charcroft naked Z foil. the sound is so much more open and free that i got scared. The normal Z-foils and Caddocks did not do that. they sounded a bit sharp and thin to me. not the Charcroft. it is dead neutral but without sounding clinical. yes they are extremely expensive and i would use them sparingly especially in series with the signal and in the RIAA. i use them also as a series resistor in my shunt volume control in my preamp. i found the people at Charcroft very professional and friendly and service is quick.

Charcroft vs. Texas Components

Hello Joachim, to avoid any confusion:

Texas Components also offers 2 different naked foil audio resistors based on vishay foils: TX2352 and TX2575 (actual Z-foil). Did you really compare the Texas Components Z-foil to the Charcroft or just the standard boxed Vishays? I believe that Texas Components might be somewhat cheaper than Charcroft, hence me asking this.

i use the Dale RS55 antimagnetic from Schuro because i can get them easily and they are as good as anything i tried with one eception. if i want to do better i take the Charcroft naked Z foil. the sound is so much more open and free that i got scared. The normal Z-foils and Caddocks did not do that. they sounded a bit sharp and thin to me. not the Charcroft. it is dead neutral but without sounding clinical. yes they are extremely expensive and i would use them sparingly especially in series with the signal and in the RIAA. i use them also as a series resistor in my shunt volume control in my preamp. i found the people at Charcroft very professional and friendly and service is quick.

Do not forget feedback resistors they are even more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Just went to metal film resistors from carbon in the tube output of my tda1541 DAC .... Best 6$ I spent in long time... My speakers help, Ohm F's, one of the few low distortion speakers that can reproduce a square wave...no crossovers...one VC.

I could clearly hear the difference...

jk

i use the dale rs55 antimagnetic from schuro because i can get them easily and they are as good as anything i tried with one eception. If i want to do better i take the charcroft naked z foil. The sound is so much more open and free that i got scared. The normal z-foils and caddocks did not do that. They sounded a bit sharp and thin to me. Not the charcroft. It is dead neutral but without sounding clinical. Yes they are extremely expensive and i would use them sparingly especially in series with the signal and in the riaa. I use them also as a series resistor in my shunt volume control in my preamp. I found the people at charcroft very professional and friendly and service is quick.

advertisement!!

Status
Not open for further replies.