I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago,I was comparing interconnect cables with a friend,between an ONIX CD33 player and amp.After a few changes,all started to sound the same,and not well.Among the things we have thought at the time,was ofcourse the possibility that there were no differences at all.After some time that we were trying to see if something happened,we have found that the player was left on everytime we were changing the cables and for some reason it sounded the same no matter what cable was on it.When we switched it off for a few minutes and on again,we were able to hear some differences,but most importantly,the player sounded "correct" again.Since that time,I always switch equipment off and back on if I want to try a cable.
Any thoughts?

jacco vermeulen said:

Big deal, some people consider that particular CD-player one of the worst ever.
Especially considering it's huge cost 10-12 years ago, plenty of players that cost 1/10th of the CD33 (/1 to /3) which beat it hands tied behind the back.
Even an Arcam of half the cost sounded twice as well.

Your thoughts and tastes are respected,but that was not my question.The fact that some people will like a particular piece of equipment while others won't will never change.

jacco vermeulen said:

Big deal, some people consider that particular CD-player one of the worst ever.
Especially considering it's huge cost 10-12 years ago, plenty of players that cost 1/10th of the CD33 (/1 to /3) which beat it hands tied behind the back.
Even an Arcam of half the cost sounded twice as well.

What I mean is if some one can think of any reason why a piece of equipment can get "confused" when you plug and unplug cables without switching it off first.

Google "pathetic fallacy."

And how does this relate to "burn-in"? Anti-burn-in?

Seriously, if there were anything that could make you consider the possibility that your brain is hard at work in a way that does not impinge conscious cogitation, this would be it. Maybe so, maybe not, but you have to be at least open-minded enough to consider the possibility.

SY said:

Google "pathetic fallacy."

And how does this relate to "burn-in"? Anti-burn-in?

Seriously, if there were anything that could make you consider the possibility that your brain is hard at work in a way that does not impinge conscious cogitation, this would be it. Maybe so, maybe not, but you have to be at least open-minded enough to consider the possibility.

Well,I am.It is just that in that particular insidence it was as if the tweeters have almost been removed.We were sure that something was wrong with the cd player's behavour(not with any of the cables)but just didn't know what.This is the reason why I am asking for any opinions or thoughts.That was the first and only time we have noticed such a thing.

Panicos K, I believe the amp you are talking about got a DSP processor inside, perhaps it got confused with the live switching, and was reset by the powerdown.

It can be risky to change a digital (any) interconnect without switching the equipment of, many RCA connectors break the ground connection before the signal line and could cause high voltage spikes.

Andre Visser said:
Panicos K, I believe the amp you are talking about got a DSP processor inside, perhaps it got confused with the live switching, and was reset by the powerdown.

It can be risky to change a digital (any) interconnect without switching the equipment of, many RCA connectors break the ground connection before the signal line and could cause high voltage spikes.

So you think it might have been a problem with the amp not the cd player?I have not thought of that.Thanks for the reply and for taking my question seriously:)

It was posted here about a year or two ago. CD/SACD wasn't in there, but there was MP3 versus lossless versus two other kinds of data compression (I can't keep up with the acronyms). A friend of Jan Didden's set the test up, which I did in Jan's kitchen with some excellent Stax headphones. Level matched, no experimenter in the room, paper scoresheets, the works.

Afterwards, we ate and drank excessively.

Status
Not open for further replies.