I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Hope said:
And I wonder - acoustic instruments sound nice, but does that really help you to compare cables? The harmonic structure of vocals is just as rich as a well-recorded Bosendorfer, pop music contains transients, reverb decay tails, and perhaps even better jazz/classical when groups like Garbage or King Crimson provide swirling dissonances that can blur into mush in a way which is exceptionally discriminating of good/mediocre hifi equipment.

The reason why I prefer unamplified acoustic instruments is that we have a reasonable idea of what the instruments should sound like, there are a lot of low level detail and resonances in it and it allows me to evaluate the focus of the soundstage.

Vocals are nice but very few knows what the voice of the artist should sound like, same for amplified instruments.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Andre Visser said:

I can appreciate ... I find it more constructive to work on

Where's the passion? It adds to the experience when the system is good, but it is not the be all, end all. Ever heard a piece of music and felt so torn that you started to weep? Ever feel the energy, the will of the performer wash through you and have it carry you away, even just briefly?
It's more than presentation, at least for me it is.
I listen to music constantly and I'm not overly worried that what is reaching my ears is perfect in every way. The essence, the heart is still there and if you listen to that you will quickly forget about cables and the like.

"Where's the passion?"

MJL, sorry to disappoint you, but my passion is to reproduce the music as realistic as possible. I want to feel the presence of the artists and their instruments, anything less tend to frustrate me.

My music taste changed with the quality of my system, years ago I listened to rock and pop but hated Jazz because I could not appreciate the sound of the instruments on that system. Now Jazz is my favourite music and I rarely listen to pop and rock, they know how to make noise. :D

Brett said:
Are you serious or just being disingenuous? Two very radically different amplifiers, and someone who claimed to be able to determine very subtle differences between components, cables, topologies etc and was quite familiar with my system after hearing it many times.

If those who say all competently designed amps sound the same are serious and honest,then,I guess I must be disingenuous.Don't I have any other choice?:)

MJL21193 said:
Oh, I'm not disappointed. I just have a hard time understanding why someone who clearly does't like music would become so wrapped up in it.

Maybe that's the difference. Maybe if I didn't like music I could hear the difference between two pieces of wire too.

What make you think that I do not like music, do you really think I will spend lots of time and money on reproducing music if I did not like listening to it? I just want it to be perfect.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Andre Visser said:
[B I just want it to be perfect. [/B]

What for? Nothing is perfect. When you run out of things to improve in your system, will you then start visiting the recording studios, recording engineers and producers to evaluate their equipment and methods? The performers next to check on their habits that may effect the SQ of the recording?

There's magic here that you may not be experiencing, not hearing because you are busy listening to the equipment and not the music.

:bs:

Attachments

• strawman.jpg
    strawman.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 181
MJL21193 said:
There's magic here that you may not be experiencing, not hearing because you are busy listening to the equipment and not the music.

No, that's where you are wrong, I want the equipment to be invisible in order to enjoy the music to it's fullest. Once you have experienced the smallest of detail, the feeling of being in another place with other people there with you, then anything less are not good enough anymore.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
analog_sa said:

This one is a keeper.

Really? I think this one is a keeper:

"..as most of my components tend to be on the heavy side and the light, rigid and shelfless aluminium stand i have, although great sounding (dynamically if not tonally) is not very practical and very flimsy."

You have a lot of posts here, but this is an excerpt from your very first. Lovely.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.