I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SY said:
It was posted here about a year or two ago. CD/SACD wasn't in there, but there was MP3 versus lossless versus two other kinds of data compression (I can't keep up with the acronyms). A friend of Jan Didden's set the test up, which I did in Jan's kitchen with some excellent Stax headphones. Level matched, no experimenter in the room, paper scoresheets, the works.

Afterwards, we ate and drank excessively.

If Jan had anything to do with it, I guess they all sounded the same. :D :D :D

Andre Visser said:

If Jan had anything to do with it, I guess they all sounded the same. :D :D :D

I was under the impression that English was your first language; if I am mistaken, my apologies. "Significant" means that there was a demonstrable audible difference. I do not know the translation into Afrikaans, perhaps one of the Dutch or other SA guys could help?

Jan is a first rate designer who actually does novel and interesting work, rather than obsessing over trivial (but hard to screw up) matters like power cords, magic hockey pucks, and photographs in the freezer. I used to read his Audio Amateur articles when I was a kid.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't beleive cables make a difference, any input?

analog_sa said:

Because almost everything sounds better bread-boarded on wood than inside a resonant, ferromagnetic chasis. Sometimes the difference is shocking. Your friend simply had normal ears.
Oh, bollocks. He simply heard what he saw and believed he was hearing. The language used was all about how harsh and old SS sounding it was.

I've done quite a bit of experimenting with chassis and p-p, PCB etc and it's incredibly over rated.

Re: Re: Re: I don't beleive cables make a difference, any input?

Brett said:
I've posted about doing this in the past on more than one occasion.
- I built a very sweet little EL84 triode class A PP amp in an 80's Marantz integrated chassis. The phile who heard it on my horns hated it, but liked the same amp when he heard it on the mdf proto-chassis some weeks before.
- I made some interconnects using Cu plated steel core RG6 coax, put stocking and heat shrink around them to make them look pretty. A phile who hates steel in cables has them and I believe they are still in use and said phile has waxed lyrical about their sonic qualities online.
- a tube purist recently heard my mates Red Light District amp, but I told him it was class A triode and he loved it. Pity it's pentode with a decent amount of gNFB.
- the big DHT amp that was held together by steel clipleads and very generic parts (good iron, I always use that) but wasn't detected as sounding horrible. Got quite well received.

I could give other examples too. See why I don't trust most audiophile perceptions? Every one of these (and the others) heard what they thought they were hearing or what they saw, not what was actually there.

I'm sure none of them are aware of the 'trick' and I have no need to embarrass them or reveal identities. After catching myself out a few times like the Paulinator I wanted to see how it worked for others.

If you eat something and you like it and you are told it is pork while it is lamb,will you change your mind?Your friend liked what he heard.You could have told him it was a solid state too.He seems to trust you,but I wonder who fooled whom

Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't beleive cables make a difference, any input?

Panicos K said:

If you eat something and you like it and you are told it is pork while it is lamb,will you change your mind?Your friend liked what he heard.You could have told him it was a solid state too.He seems to trust you,but I wonder who fooled whom
If at this stage in my life I can't tell pork from lamb there is something wrong. Ditto with the experienced audiophile who swears they can hear massive differences between components/cables etc and how some of the 'bad' ones 'destroy' the system, yet when presented with gross differences, CAN'T hear them but choose to describe the generally attributed sonic qualities of what they SEE.

Panicos K said:
And where are the "gross" differences ? If some say they cannot hear amplifier differences where can they hear them?
Are you serious or just being disingenuous? Two very radically different amplifiers, and someone who claimed to be able to determine very subtle differences between components, cables, topologies etc and was quite familiar with my system after hearing it many times.

When I did my RCA DBT here I was very cocky and thought it would be easy. I used some compressed pop music, and gave myself about 10 seconds with each listen. I thought that the differences I had heard were so blindingly obvious that I didn't need to use well recorded piano, high volume female choirs in cathedrals, intimate soundstage jazz etc.

However, though I call it a success (for the believers), it was ruddy hard, and perhaps you could argue so hard that it was actually a success for the unbelievers. The result was barely statistically significant, one more error would have made it not significant - hardly the overwhelming result I was expecting. Took a rather long evening to do as well, and I paid my kid for giving me her time.

So ... I'm an agnostic currently. There are HUGE psychological goings on here, and I learned that. More recently I cut my JPS labs cables to create two shorter sets of cables. Guess what - their construction and materials look pretty ordinary. I've got Joe's word for it that there's some aluminium alloyed into these wires, and TNT's word for it that they sound good, and my own ears concurred and got rid of the Kimber - but they look ... well, I'm sure he's right, he seems an honest enough guy.

It is enough that I simply bought a new set of D102IIIs for the Squeezebox, no urge to spend more, or even to experiment. I still think there's something in it all - but boy it's hard to pin down.

Russ Andrews advertising mag arrived today - including a couple of 2-page spreads where they inject RFI into a Lab power supply, and test power cords. They've published graphs and all. Fairly large pinch of salt required - but they are obviously responding to the growing cries of "snake oil" which are prompted by their entire product lines!

SY said:
I was under the impression that English was your first language; if I am mistaken, my apologies. "Significant" means that there was a demonstrable audible difference. I do not know the translation into Afrikaans, perhaps one of the Dutch or other SA guys could help?

No I'm only trying to speak English. To my understanding "significant" could describe an outcome either way.

SY said:
Jan is a first rate designer who actually does novel and interesting work, rather than obsessing over trivial (but hard to screw up) matters like power cords, magic hockey pucks, and photographs in the freezer. I used to read his Audio Amateur articles when I was a kid.

The remark about Jan was actually ment as a joke, therefore the three smileys.

I have exchanged a some viewpoints with Jan and are quite aware of his beliefs and capabilities.

Alan Hope said:
Russ Andrews advertising mag arrived today - including a couple of 2-page spreads where they inject RFI into a Lab power supply, and test power cords. They've published graphs and all. Fairly large pinch of salt required - but they are obviously responding to the growing cries of "snake oil" which are prompted by their entire product lines!

Russ Andrews ASA ruling

Allan, a similar experience for me drew a different result. After switching repeatedly back and forth between clearly audible differences in a sighted test the delta eventually shrunk to zero. I could no longer tell A from B. However in this case A was an Aphex Compellor being set up for insertion into an FM broadcast chain and running about 10 dB of gain riding/compression, the reference B a bypass. Repeated and concentrated switching back and forth eventually obliterated the differences. Maybe it was the wrong conclusion but I came away with a changed opinion on the test protocol rather than a belief an Aphex running 10 dB is audibly perfect.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alan Hope said:
Russ Andrews advertising mag arrived today - including a couple of 2-page spreads where they inject RFI into a Lab power supply, and test power cords. They've published graphs and all

October & November (IIRC) Affordable Audio mag have an aericle by a Polk (?) engineer showing some measureable differences for power cords and the effect of a PS PowerPlant.

dave

Andre Visser said:

Alan, I wouldn't even think of doing cable tests with pop music, I think it is a waste of time. I prefer well recorded Jazz and unamplified instrumentals.

There we differ - you could say I was confident enough to tie my hands, for while I thought that differences might be more noticeable with piano / jazz, the differences I (thought I) heard affected every sound coming out of my speakers, and a cymbal hit in a pop record would be just as revealing as a cymbal hit in a jazz recording.

And I wonder - acoustic instruments sound nice, but does that really help you to compare cables? The harmonic structure of vocals is just as rich as a well-recorded Bosendorfer, pop music contains transients, reverb decay tails, and perhaps even better jazz/classical when groups like Garbage or King Crimson provide swirling dissonances that can blur into mush in a way which is exceptionally discriminating of good/mediocre hifi equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.