TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hey XRK971, been following your posts for a long while. I figured the sim followed from those specs; sorry if I got a little redundant. Should the same cross section and port numbers apply for an ordinary TABAQ scheme? In particular, I'm curious about the port scheme; if it were not pointed at the floor, but a forward-facing opening as in the original plan, any ideas on the appropriate port area? I'll take a look at the driver and come up with some sample dimensions in the morning, but any guidance would be appreciated. I might start a separate thread to detail the construction, since it'd be (so far as I can tell) a new driver for the community.

Also happy to take measurements if anyone could point me to a good mic, or better yet, a good way to implement a wm61a to take those measurements (just bought a few). I'll be happy to take post some graphs if it's within the abilities of my paltry hardware.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey XRK971, been following your posts for a long while. I figured the sim followed from those specs; sorry if I got a little redundant. Should the same cross section and port numbers apply for an ordinary TABAQ scheme? In particular, I'm curious about the port scheme; if it were not pointed at the floor, but a forward-facing opening as in the original plan, any ideas on the appropriate port area? I'll take a look at the driver and come up with some sample dimensions in the morning, but any guidance would be appreciated. I might start a separate thread to detail the construction, since it'd be (so far as I can tell) a new driver for the community.

Also happy to take measurements if anyone could point me to a good mic, or better yet, a good way to implement a wm61a to take those measurements (just bought a few). I'll be happy to take post some graphs if it's within the abilities of my paltry hardware.

The dimensions for a 'TABAQ' or should we call it a MABAQ? Was given in my previous post but I will repeat it here:

34 in line with an 22 sq in cross sectional area and a 3.85 square inch x 7.5 inch long vent.

If you want front firing port that can work too you will need a 90 deg turn in port exit as 7.5 in long vent won't fit. You will get less wall enhanced bass gain if not wall mounted and not front firing but will still be very good compared to sim shown.

That might be good to start a MABAQ thread. Google wm61 measurements and there will be several good links. The Linkwitz site is good but he implements a fancy approach to get a really nice preamp version. There is another site, I forget the name but basically you need to get a 3.5mm headphone jack from an old junk pair of earbuds that you would throw in trash and connect according to diagram - no extra parts just direct. Then plug into the mic input of your pc soundcard which provides the 5v condenser mic bias automatically. Use Holmimpulse software for the measurement and you are done. If you have a nice ADC via USB that works well too.

Good luck! :)

TABAQ is going commercial

7 years after I designed TABAQ, the spekaer will be available as a commercial product in a matter of weeks - depending on our suppliers.

The speaker is made by wood veneer is different looks and and comes with an optional T Amp.

After intensive testing just minor adjustments has been done to the original design.

For those of you that like the TABAQ concept, but has not build one, this could be an opportunity to own one.

This will of course not stop you from building TABAQ for your own pleasure.

I have been looking forward to, at last, to upgrade the simulation models from Martin J. King to a commercial version.

More information will be found on facebook.

Of course, I will continue helping people building TABAQ.

Hi from
Wonderful Copenhagen

Good luck. It should't be hard to do better than Quali-Fi. Not that their speakers are bad, they are just way too expensive and overproduced for what they are.
The secret it would seem, is to get consumer grade finish with a minimum of effort and cost.
Could you go into a bit more detail, such as which driver, grilles (gotta have those for the average joe with kids and wife), the port and mounting options (gotta have feet/pedestal to stand it on as well?)?

Last edited:
If it isn't a foolish question, what's Quali-Fi got to do with it? AFAIK, they produce nothing directly comparable to the TABAQ.
Well, they're also a couple of guys doing fullrange (quarterwave too) speakers in Danmark.
This is not a large country, there is bound to be competition and comparison.

If Bjørn can do something approaching Quali-Fi's SQ at a fraction of the price, I think he will find a very welcoming market among younger and/or more adventurous people. People who wouldn't normally be inclined or could afford to spend what amounts to over $2000 on a set of what seems to be essentially tweaked FH3 with Alpairs.
I have sold a few speakers to friends and family, but haven't had the time and right approach to make something bigger and more organized yet.

Last edited:
Nope, Quali-Fi doesn't sell FH3s. Their boxes have a completely different design / internal configuration. I can say that with 100% guaranteed accuracy, because I've seen the design / plans of them, which is all their own work.

Agreed that there is likely to be a market for a cheaper product though, & like everyone else I naturally hope Bjorn's venture is a big success. :) The more small scale / cottage industries there are the better for everyone, in & outside audio IMO. It's things like that that might finally drag us out of the mess the bankers & politicians landed us in.

Last edited:
Squeak - pardon my ignorant (actually, probably passively aggressive / inflammatory) question- but have I missed seeing anywhere details of your own commercial speaker ventures?

It's one thing for a DIYer to design and build small quantities of very decent sounding and aesthetically appealing speakers for personal use, gifting to family/friends, or limited quantity bespoke sales, but rather a different matter to enter into the realm of web-based commerce such as Quali-Fi and others - one certainly discovers a whole new world of administrative headaches, inter-jurisdictional regulations and expenses that make building the damned stuff the easiest part.

Exactly.
I feel like I've touched a nerve, when all I wanted was to congratulate. If Qualifi-Fi can sell their speakers then good for them. I just believe they are selling to a needlessly limited market that will dry up at some point from saturation.
It is possible to do it cheaper than $2000, even with Danish taxes and small market.
I'd wager that the Händel Horn is very close to the FH3. After having seen one in person and felt inside the port I have a very hard time seeing how it could be anything else. Same goes for all the other speakers in the lineup. They are obvious variations on speakers found on Daves site. Nothing wrong with that if an agreement has been made though.

Exactly.
I'd wager that the Händel Horn is very close to the FH3. After having seen one in person and felt inside the port I have a very hard time seeing how it could be anything else. Same goes for all the other speakers in the lineup. They are obvious variations on speakers found on Daves site. Nothing wrong with that if an agreement has been made though.

Well I'm afraid you've lost your bet, although since I already clearly stated that their cabinets are different, it wasn't a very sensible one to make. ;) To repeat: the Händel box is not the same as FH3 (which incidentally isn't ported). They don't even have the same internal configuration. And no: not that it's any of your business, no 'agreements'. Dave, Chris & I know the owner of Quali-Fi & have worked with him in the past, which is why I happen to know what their designs are, but their current production range (their site could stand an update) is their own work.

Last edited:
Well I'm afraid you've lost your bet, although since I already clearly stated that their cabinets are different, it wasn't a very sensible one to make. ;) To repeat: the Händel box is not the same as FH3 (which incidentally isn't ported). They don't even have the same internal configuration. And no: not that it's any of your business, no 'agreements'. Dave, Chris & I know the owner of Quali-Fi & have worked with him in the past, which is why I happen to know what their designs are, but their current production range (their site could stand an update) is their own work.

Look, I can tell that I am for whatever reason causing some needless resentment. I don't care that much what your relationship with the guys at QF is and have not said anything that would imply that, so don't suggest that I do by saying stuff like "not that it's any of your business".
Fact of the matter is the Händel Horn looks a lot like the FH3 and there wasn't really anything like the FH3 before with all it's aspects in one design.
It has a back port and wings at the back that perform double duty of support and horn mouth. Whether it has a tap or not is not really of great consequence in this case.
The only reason I brought it up was to argue that Bjørn has a very good chance, in Denmark at least, if he plays his cards right, since the competition is priced so exuberantly high.

International could get hairy. Shipping, with all the costs and risks plus the trouble of resending things multiple times with replacements and repairs. With a price of 100 EUR per unit I'd guess you'd be skating on thin ice to even break even. It's wise not to snob the low end, but you should make a healthy profit to begin with, unless you have money to burn in the startup phase.
So yes, better get some experience on home turf first.

I don't care that much what your relationship with the guys at QF is and have not said anything that would imply that, so don't suggest that I do by saying stuff like "not that it's any of your business".

Really?

if an agreement has been made though

Ring any bells?

Fact of the matter is the Händel Horn looks a lot like the FH3

So what? In (very) broad appearance the Mazda Xedos 6 looked a bit like a Mk2 Jaguar. Same deal.

You are now distracting from Bjorn's thread by (inaccurately) harping on about something that is irrelevant in any case. Perhaps the mods could prune some of the posts & remove others so it doesn't clag up his thread any further. (guys?)

We are hoping to keep the end user price at 100 EUR for one speaker and 300 EUR for two speakers including a high performance amp.

100E per speaker? Blimey. I'm astounded you can make any profit at all at that price once packaging, extras & construction / finishing etc. time are factored in. Nice work Bjorn. Bargain. :)

Last edited: