TABAQ TL for Tangband

For "Breaking Bad" Fans - Can't get enough of TABAQs!

Folded TABAQ design from Bjorn Johannesen.

Driver - Tang Band - W3-881SI
Cabinet - 1/2" MDF
Finishes:
Yellow - Oil Based (4 coats) Primer (3 coats)
Black - Truck Bed Liner Paint
Decals - Acrylic Gel Medium transfer technique off of laser prints

Speaker Grills - Bio Hazard computer fan grills - 92mm.

Attachments

• Side 1.jpg
    Side 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,070
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Fronts.jpg
    Fronts.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,034
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I want to use 2 inch tangband w2 803s to build PC speakers. Could I simply scaled down the folded Tabaq box dimensions (14.4x25x44.1) to half and put them in ?? w2 parameters : X-max 0.85 mm Vas 0.25 Litr. Qts 0.40 Qms 3.56 Qes 0.46

thanks

Try using the Accidental MLTL technique to size an approximate cross sectional area (CSA) and vent dimensions. Assume a 24 in to 30 in long TL. That will work better than simply scaling like you propose. Otherwise run a model in HR, MJK, or AkAbak.

Finished a pair of folded Tabaq speakers with the Tang Band W3-1053SC 3" FR driver.

I am impressed! :)

Don't have the BSC installed yet, but placed them close to the back walls of my room, and playing them with my Tubelab SE - most of what I have heard sounds good - Dire Straits, Roxette, some instrumentals, even some electronica. I listen around ~70 dB most of the times, the speakers do a fine job.

Bjorn, I know this is late and already hundreds of Tabaqs have been built, but thanks for coming out with this simple and elegant design for the DIY community. :) It extracts a lot of performance for modest drivers.

Have you though of a multi-driver Tabaq on steroids - something like a Micro-Tower configuration?

- Zia

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey all,
I've mostly been into headphones up until now, but am interested in a TABAQ project as an entry into speaker building. Unfortunately, a lot of the originally recommended drivers have been discontinued or are otherwise unavailable. I've yet to see a widely-agreed-upon, solid-performing, relatively budget 3-4" driver. From what I've read, the Markaudio CHR-70A sounds pretty promising, but I don't know what BSC circuit would be appropriate for that particular driver (or any other for that matter). Is there a new favorite?

xrk971,

I followed that thread when ryani was building, good stuff - when I get my hands on some more budget 3" drivers I might give it a try. Probaby will try a 2 driver/cab version with one of the drivers mounted on the side.Basically keep line length in tact, double the Vb and place another driver 90 degrees to the one on the front baffle.

Liangan, recall a post on this thread thread stating that 4" drivers should work - maybe you can share the specs of the MA driver you have in mind so that Bjorn or others can comment? The Tabaq design is pretty flexible and actually a good number of different drivers have given satisfactory performance in the cabinet - check the recommended specs (Fs, qts and Vas) for the design.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
CHR70.3 metal cone in MLTL

I followed that thread when ryani was building, good stuff - when I get my hands on some more budget 3" drivers I might give it a try. Probaby will try a 2 driver/cab version with one of the drivers mounted on the side.Basically keep line length in tact, double the Vb and place another driver 90 degrees to the one on the front baffle.

I am not sure what the 90 deg aligned drivers will do - you will not get a true bipole and the stereo imaging may get diffused. A sim with a single CHR70 shows that it is significantly different from the 3 in or 4 in Tang Bands in that it can reach pretty low into the 40 Hz almost with a slightly longer 34 in line with an 22 sq in cross sectional area and a 3.85 square inch x 7.5 inch long vent. This is for 1 driver. Double CSA and Double the number of vents for two drivers. Here are the results for a long flat MLTL that is 5.75 in wide x 3.7 in deep with the vent pointing down at the floor and driver mounted at 1/3 distance from closed end and position of driver is 40 in above the floor. The dips at 150 Hz and 350 Hz are dependent on room placement.
Plots are as follows:
- Freq response 1 watt at 1 meter
- Impedance
- Cone displacement
- Impulse response
- Port velocity

Attachments

• CHR70-MLTL-Freq-1m.png
    CHR70-MLTL-Freq-1m.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 942
  • CHR70-MLTL-Impedance.png
    CHR70-MLTL-Impedance.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 935
  • CHR70-MLTL-Displ.png
    CHR70-MLTL-Displ.png
    12 KB · Views: 927
  • CHR70-MLTL-Impulse.png
    CHR70-MLTL-Impulse.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 118
  • CHR70-MLTL-Port-Velocity.png
    CHR70-MLTL-Port-Velocity.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 117
Liangan, recall a post on this thread thread stating that 4" drivers should work - maybe you can share the specs of the MA driver you have in mind so that Bjorn or others can comment? The Tabaq design is pretty flexible and actually a good number of different drivers have given satisfactory performance in the cabinet - check the recommended specs (Fs, qts and Vas) for the design.

I figured they'd probably fit in pretty comfortably. I'm going to drop all the specs I can find just to be on the safe side; apologies if it's overkill; I haven't had an electronics class since college, and you guys are on a whole other plane.

REVC: 7.2 Ohm
Fo: 65.40 Hz
Sd: 5.02 K/mm^2
Vas: 5.17 Ltrs
Cms: 1.44 uM/N
Mmd: 3.90 g
Mms: 4.10 g
BL: 4.20 G/cm
Qms: 2.66
Qes: 0.69
Qts: 0.55
Levc: 32.44 uH
No: 0.20%
Spl: 85.4 dB
Pwr: 20w Norm.
X max: 4-mm 1 way
Coil Dia: 20mm
Main Tolerance: +/- 2.5 hz on mean Fo.

They are admittedly a bit big, but so long as everything's tied to volume it feels like it should be workable.