TABAQ TL for Tangband

Really.

Not knowing anything else I can't see how it's unusual at all to mention in passing the overall resemblance of the lineup when it's so blatant.

The outward apperance/topology of the two cabs being so similar there are limits to how different the insides can be. Perhaps "inspired" by FH3 would be a nicer way of putting it.

And harping? Really? Isn't this a bit below your usual standard? You are effectively doing the harping by making me clarify all the time.
And yes, we are distracting from Bjørns thread, so let's just stop now.

Hi Squeak

We are now putting the last productions bits in place. The name is Kvart & Bølge, which means (you already know) quarter and wave. We will be on kickstarter in a few weeks and you can find us at fb.

Which driver we are using will be a trade secret for now.

The driver is mounted 8 inch from the top (internally) which is 2 inch higher up than the original design. For a long period of time, I have recommended TABAQ builders to use this offset. It looks nicer, and it has a (very little, though) positive impact on the frequency. Furthermore the driver will be closer to ear hight. Is also means that the folded version of TABAQ can be mounted with the driver in the middle of the front baffle.

Hi from
Bjorn

W-1320 in folded version

Bjorn, Can you tell me if the Tangband W4-1320SIF is possible in the folded version. I intend to make a version with 15 mm mdf. So the baffle will be wider for some mm. Is that wide enough for the round version of the 4# speaker?
And will it be worth the extra cost?

I hope you have some time to answer. Good luck with your commercial version.

Fred

Good evening,
i'm tempted to try the Tabaq with the TB W3-315se or the Vifa TG9F D10.
I want to use them as desk top speakers -> nearfeld, low volumes sufficient.
Smooth sound + detailed hf wanted.

Which driver is preferable?

I modeled a folded version of the Tabaq for the W3-315se

Line: 76.2cm (30 inch) length, 128 cm2 diameter
Port: 8cm (3.15 inch) length, 16cm2 diameter (0.65 inches shorter than original build due to 3 adjacent walls at the entrance of port which act as a virtual extension)

I'm not sure if my calculation of line length is correct, the upper part (behind driver) seems strange, so much free space due to folding...
What do the experts say?

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Fred, the front baffle should be wide enough for the Tang Band 1320 SIF. You can mount the driver in the middle, if you want. Or you can turn the cabinet with the opening down and put is on a small foot.

In the straight TABAQ you can mount the driver 2 inch higher - the same as mounting the driver in the middle in the folded version.

For the 4 inch Tang Band you can use less stuffing: 70 gram. I am using Tang Band 4 inch 1320 round version in the straight version of TABAQ.

Bjørn

Last edited:
Hi Sayrum, you could try my design, which has less wasted space.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ BOX Cabinet build.pdf

I know the Vifa would do great in TABAQ, but I have never listened to this driver.

In my folded TABAQ I have TB W3-315SE and I am very pleased with the sound and performance of this driver. For near field you should use baffle step compensation, in my folded TABAQ there is an "apartment" for the coil / resistor filter.

Hi

Bjørn

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Good evening,
i'm tempted to try the Tabaq with the TB W3-315se or the Vifa TG9F D10.
I want to use them as desk top speakers -> nearfeld, low volumes sufficient.
Smooth sound + detailed hf wanted.

Which driver is preferable?

I modeled a folded version of the Tabaq for the W3-315se

Line: 76.2cm (30 inch) length, 128 cm2 diameter
Port: 8cm (3.15 inch) length, 16cm2 diameter (0.65 inches shorter than original build due to 3 adjacent walls at the entrance of port which act as a virtual extension)

I'm not sure if my calculation of line length is correct, the upper part (behind driver) seems strange, so much free space due to folding...
What do the experts say?

Regards

You don't need to have the funny notch there, adjust the TL length a few inches longer and it doesn't hurt. You may need a slightly shorter vent but that can be calculated using the new volume. I have gone off design from the tabaq for the tc9fd and it works great. Try the AMLTL technique to size your box and vent. It works well for the tc9fd.

Good morning :)
Thanks for the input guys.

Hi Sayrum, you could try my design, which has less wasted space.
In my folded TABAQ I have TB W3-315SE and I am very pleased with the sound and performance of this driver. For near field you should use baffle step compensation, in my folded TABAQ there is an "apartment" for the coil / resistor filter.
I know of your folded design, but i want the driver more on ear height.
What apartment for the bsc are you referring to?
In your linked pdf i see nothing like that.

You don't need to have the funny notch there, adjust the TL length a few inches longer and it doesn't hurt. You may need a slightly shorter vent but that can be calculated using the new volume. I have gone off design from the tabaq for the tc9fd and it works great. Try the AMLTL technique to size your box and vent. It works well for the tc9fd.

Ok, here come some questions:
Are you sure that lengthening the line another 5cm/~2inches works as good as the original? And i have no MKS to calculate with...
I thought to put a small t-amp in the notch ;)

What is the Amltl technique?
Do you use/what bsc for the tc9fd?
Can you post your design specs for the tc9fd?

Regards,
Daniel

Good morning :)

I know of your folded design, but i want the driver more on ear height.

How about something like this? You end up with the same line length as the original, and it'll be easier to build without the last part of the line sitting on the outside of the box. You could adjust the placement of the two walls marked in green to adjust driver offset, and still have the driver on ear height. You could stretch it out to make a gap/notch like you had if you want somewhere to put an amp and/or BSC...

10152223446_6bb41b00f4_z.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What is the Amltl technique?
Do you use/what bsc for the tc9fd?
Can you post your design specs for the tc9fd?
Daniel,

I ended up making a flat wall mounted MLTL for the TC9FD with a cross sectional area of 2.38 in x 7.5 in x 40 in long with a single fold. The driver is at 0.33x from closed end and the vent is 1.0 in x 2.2 in x 2.44 in long.

The design is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-147.html#post3400954

I made it based on the AMLTL technique before I knew how to simulate stuff in Akabak.

More info on the AMLTL technique can be found here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/231951-accidental-mltl-technique.html

Regards,
X

Hi, I was searching for a budget and simple to build speaker that I can use with a T amp and I came across the Tabaq which I think is my answer. It looks great.
The thread spans a fairly long spell of time and a lot of the TB speaker models seem to be superseded.
My question is - Is there one speaker that works best above all the rest in a standard as per plans Tabaq folded. And is there any speaker easily available to the UK(probably from europe) that will perform well?

Ta.