Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I believe we are limiting this test to interconnects. RCA-RCA.

Just a thought. Should we supply Andre with 3 cables to begin with? 2 new cables and 1 burned-in. That way he has 2 virgin cables as a baseline and will not risk burning them in by accident - prolonged listening.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well that is something we certainly need to establish first! Tho the title of the thread is about speaker cables, I thought we had switched to interconnects for the this test. No?

Getting 10 sets of speaker cables to Andre is going to be a lot more expensive.

Hi Steve! Can you please clarify if you agree to take this test to find out if you can hear the difference never having done so in the past, or if you can hear the difference having already done so in the past?

Thanks for willing to help!

I believe I have heard differences in past comparisons, but I know I have also heard differences when nothing was changed. Now, I am just a bored old man looking for answers.

(big snip)
Also, and very important - The voltage using a square wave and a digital multimeter must be measured at the end of each cable. The reading must be precisely the same every time. This is to ensure exact volume level match. The human ear is very good at telling the difference between even slight volume level changes. These changes are most often what audiophiles hear when they claim that one item is 'brighter, deeper, more sound-stage, resolving', etc. over another.

I did not make up these rules. It is nothing more than scientific method, and is the only way a listening test can be valid using a 'simple A/B test' as requested by Andre.
More can be read HERE and HERE

If all the cables are made from the same batch of raw cable and they are all the same length, then the chance of any level change is about zero!

If we are testing cables of different constructions, then I don't think that a square wave is the best choice for a test signal. Different cable constructions may handle the very high harmonics of a square wave differently, resulting in different signal levels in the mid-range, where it counts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.