Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the idea of headphones for the simplicity and directness. Also no room accoustics, etc.

Good idea.

level matching is ALWAYS required ESPECIALLY with a switch, etc. slight volume changes are the most likely way an audiophile is able to 'hear' differences between to pieces of equipment.
Not in this case. The cables being tested are in all ways identical except for burn-in.
Any audible differences (including slight volume changes) would be a result of burn-in effects - which is the very thing we are trying to establish.

Also, and very important - The voltage using a square wave and a digital multimeter must be measured at the end of each cable. The reading must be precisely the same every time.
Only need to do this once to check cables are matched prior to burning-in.

That's why I've made the point several times that it needs to be a cable which is agreed (by the test subject) to have a long break-in time.

Exactly. The longer the better.

fraud or just politics?

Edmond, behave will you? :D

Seriously, I'm fine with you going after those whom makes extraordinary claims, and won't step up to the plate and prove their claims..........

Magura :)

I really hope that this investigation does not follow the same course as:
YouTube - climategate on finnish television 1/3
YouTube - climategate on finnish television 2/3
YouTube - climategate on finnish television 3/3

edit: I don't like myths that cost me a lot of money.

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I tell you what. Crazy or not, absurd or not, if people wouldn't care about this issue this thread would not have been one of the most active every day since the day it was created.

After so much talk it's time we did something real. Either or we'll feel better that we tried.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Just a thought, but couldn't a test be devised similar to the "Modified Rhyme Test" to test if there are audible differences.

marce, I don't quite see how. What do you mean?

I found this about the MRT:

"Modified Rhyme Test (MRT)
A word list for statistical intelligibility testing. The modified Rhyme Test uses 50 six-word lists of rhyming or similar-sounding monosyllabic English words, as shown here. Each word is constructed from a consonant-vowel-consonant sound sequence, and the six words in each list differ only in the initial or final consonant sound. Listeners are shown a six-word list and then asked to identify which of the six is spoken by the talker. A carrier sentence is usually used.

MRT test results indicate errors in discrimination of both initial and final consonant sounds. Listener responses can be scored as (1) the number of words heard correctly; (2) the number of words heard incorrectly; or (3) the frequency of particular confusions of consonant sounds. "

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I would read a book first: 'PROMETHEUS RISING' we are all in the book, and what is being done here as well, and you should read the author's description of RANDI sometime, it is really funny!

John, please, can you stop speaking in riddles? What IS being done here? What is your perception of it? I'm trying to organize an honest test here. I don't understand you at all.

John, please, can you stop speaking in riddles? What IS being done here? What is your perception of it? I'm trying to organize an honest test here. I don't understand you at all.

Don't worry about it. It's science fiction. John has found out the hard way that when one speaks plainly and makes claims, one is sometimes called on it. When that happens, one can test a belief or one can run away. Once someone has run away, their comments have no real merit. So... just admire the spectacle and don't take it seriously.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
The game you play isn't pleasant, productive, or educational. Furthermore, I am not in the habit to read any book anyone points me to. Most often the recommendations are poor. Literate people find it just as easy to say something like "this situation is just like so and so book, where [insert relevant short summary here]."

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
It wasn't impossible for me to dig up quite a few papers concerning some of the debates you were part of, that weren't even accessible to the public at large, and then give them to those who asked. :) Running now and reading a whole book is a bit far fetched though.

No worries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.