Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If that's right then no amp in the this thread is actually using a Tripath chip? When did the NOS stuff run out along the way? Are none of them genuine? How about the speculation that the same factory just kept making chips even after Tripath themselves filed for bankruptcy?

From what I heard, Cirrus Logic acquired the Tripath patents some time back in 2008-2009. There is a possibility that Tripath chips may emerge again.

By the way, the latest version of Lepai LP-2020A doesn't use Tripath chipset anymore.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I don't think so... The remainders are surpluses bought by Chinese companies.

Do you know if those surplus remainders likely to be "real" tripath TA2020's, or was someone knocking off imitations for years (not made the same as the originals or even on the same production lines?)

I have the Lepy like the one in dgirdler's and Jake's posts, with the larger chip. It's labelled as a TA2020, obviously.

I'm just curious, and also I have a friend who's an audiophile and was considering one of these as a birthday present - once i've swapped out parts :)

Do you know if those surplus remainders likely to be "real" tripath TA2020's, or was someone knocking off imitations for years (not made the same as the originals or even on the same production lines?)

Sorry, I am not sure so can't answer your question.

By the way, the retail price of a genuine Tripath TA2020 chipset is around US$3. If I were to make fake amplifier chips, I won't choose such an inexpensive model. My production cost is about the same whether it is a TA2020, TA2050 or TA3020. Furthermore, knowing my clients (manufacturers) will slash the prices by 30-40%, it just doesn't worth my effort to fake such a low-cost chip.

Bottomline is the Lepai LP-2020A+ amp costs us very little money. Just be happy with its value, enjoy the music it produces and stop doubting the authenticity of its chipset.

I have my Lepai amp since 2011. It has been in service for almost 4 years and it still works like a charm. I paid about US$18, with shipping, for mine back then. I never doubt the authenticity of its components... Why? Because I couldn't find a better sounding amp for the price I paid.

Last edited:
Trying again...

Anyone....

Hi all. been reading...a lot...not sure if I missed my answers above.

1) I opened up my 202A+. Just above where C20 and C21 would go appear to be two surface mount caps. Nothing in the holes for C20/21. (See pic). The amp worked before I dug into it (ruined the opamp pads, will start a new project now that I've practiced on some refuse boards).

Any one else see this? They measure approx. 3uF in the board.

I assume I can remove these and put in replacement caps in the holes. Some one stop me if I'm wrong.

2) My board came with two 470uf caps and one 220uf cap. The parts lists I've seen call for two 220's and one 470. Did Lepai change their configuration, or put the wrong cap in?

3) What's the most popular replacement opamps these days? I know that's a huge debate and I'll read more above.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From what I heard, Cirrus Logic acquired the Tripath patents some time back in 2008-2009. There is a possibility that Tripath chips may emerge again.

By the way, the latest version of Lepai LP-2020A doesn't use Tripath chipset anymore.

TB2rUpQbVXXXXbVXXXXXXXXXXXX-741767144.jpg

Been away for awhile , I notice now Lepy have TA2024 ??

Aliexpress.com : Buy 48pcs/lot with 12V5A power supply 2015 NEW (original lepai) Lepy LP 2024A+ HiFi Stereo Power Amplifier Output 20WX2 IC TA2024 from Reliable lot lingerie suppliers on Kingbirds Electronic Co.,Ltd | Alibaba Group

The Lepy LP2020-A chip looks like a "slug-down" version of TA2021B (supposedly same die as TA2020 but smd package). Is there a official datasheet and a source to buy these chips?

Both Sony (Part # 875963811) and Hitachi (Part # CP07681U) did license the TA2020-020 doubt they are in production. :)
Profusion claims to have bought tripaths own remaining stock when they went bankrupt (probably largest part where stored at 3rd party sources around the world at the time):
TRIPATH

TA2021B

I'd like to increase the maximum volume of my Lepai LP-2020A.
Basically I am satisfied with the output that it can produce, but some songs on my MP3 player are very silent. Or if I attach my phone to the amp, the maximum volume is limited as well.

Can I use some kind of preamp or modify the volume pot somehow?

I tried normalizing my MP3's and increased their gain, but the player tends to clip then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.