Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's an ebay listing for a 12v 5a psu with the proper barrel plug: 12V 5A 5 5mm 2 5mm 2 1mm AC DC Power Supply Adapter Lots Wholesale | eBay
Appears to be $10.00US each.
FYI.

At this price I wonder if the power supply is 99 cents or the adapter to choose between 2.5mm and 2.1mm is 99 cents? Forgive me for my incredulity.

Does this cost 99 cents?
$_57.JPG

Or does this cost 99 cents?
$_57.JPG

Or do you get both for 99 cents? Because that would be a bargain.

Okay, I just poked around on the auction, and it's pretty confusing. Multiple items are being sold on what I thought was an auction for just a single item.

The first picture shows an actual power supply brick listed at 99 cents.
The next picture shows the male and female adapter and lists them at 99 cents.
The third picture which is identical to the first shows $9.99.
Then from the fourth picture on, which are all identical to the first picture, the price goes up.
The last two pictures are of the male adapter and the female adapter respectively. They are individually listed at 99 cents each, even though the second picture has both for 99 cents.

From the drop-down menu that says "Lot," the "x1" choice is $9.99, the "x5" $39.00.

I guess I'm just not accustomed to eBay and the different ways people can sell things. It's been over a decade since I last dealt with eBay.

Hello,

I´m using the Lepai 2020A+ for my Visaton Tabula.

As soon as there is deeper bass and the volume gets higher, the amp shuts off for a short moment.

I´m using a 5 A rated power supply.
I changed the capacitor in the power line (4700µF + 200nF), the inductors at output (10µ) and bypassed the tone control, op amps and engaged the volume pot by using 2 MKP capacitors (2.2µ).

When removing the bypass the sutdown problem becomes a bit better (shutting down at higher volume).

The crossover is kind of special, as you can see here. It´s mentioned, that bridged amps are not recommended.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What is causing the problem?
I don´t understand the behaviour of the amp.

Seemingly you are running out of Power.
As a guess: that crossover/speaker setup is sucking up significant power.
Adding to that .. Lepais are poorly designed built contraptions.
Often (usually?) using Fake parts.
Don't know of a fix, beyond trying an 12v Automobile battery as alternate power supply experiment.
Realistically, finding a less power hungry speaker pair.. OR a suitable Amp module is suggested.

The nominal impedance of your speaker system is 4 ohms, and that may be the reason why the amp is shutting down during heavy bass and high volume. The amp may be asked to exceed its rated output with low impedance loads, triggering a shutdown. You may need to choose an amp that is rated for 4 ohms, and is capable of higher power than the Lepai to suit your listening needs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.
I don´t think it´s a power problem, because I tried with a lab power supply. It shutdowns at about 12 V and 500mA.
In my understanding the amp gets bridged at the crossover, though there is high resistance regarding to the 2x 2,68 Ohm inductor.

I rather change the amp than the speakers.
I thought about buying two mono amps because they aren´t already bridged.
As far as i know there aren´t any D-Class stereo amps running non-bridged at 12 V?
So, do you have any suggestions for a working amp?

• 12V
  • enough power for the speakers
  • as small as the lepai
  • non-bridged stereo or two tiny mono amps

As far as i know there aren´t any D-Class stereo amps running non-bridged at 12 V?

12V is not enough to produce a decent power output in a single ended amp where the -ve speaker output is held at 0V.
A bridged output allows both outputs to move between 0V and +/-12V (almost) in opposite directions, doubling the voltage across the speaker.

This is where your crossover is causing the problem as it connects the left and right -ve outputs together. Now, if the left amp is trying to drive that pin towards +12V while the right amp is trying to drive its output towards -12V then a very large current will flow. The amp shuts down to fault mode at around 7A on any output.

Hi
I have been running a lepai 2020 in my workshop connected to some old mission speakers (89db so easy to drive), everything was fine until silence......

So I unplugged and after a bit of switching PSUs it would appear that my PSU has died - its a samsung 12v 2amp brick style adapter. I plugged the lepai briefly into a 12v, 1.5amp PSU and it did power up (not connected to speakers/input as I did'nt want to fry the PSU).

I was under the impression that PSUs "should" outlast the Lapai? Any thoughts - could the Lepai have killed the PSU? if not I guess I will pick up a decent 12v 5amp PSU, but I don't really want to buy a new PSU just to have it fried!

thanks!

Hi
I have been running a lepai 2020 in my workshop connected to some old mission speakers (89db so easy to drive), everything was fine until silence......

So I unplugged and after a bit of switching PSUs it would appear that my PSU has died - its a samsung 12v 2amp brick style adapter. I plugged the lepai briefly into a 12v, 1.5amp PSU and it did power up (not connected to speakers/input as I did'nt want to fry the PSU).

I was under the impression that PSUs "should" outlast the Lapai? Any thoughts - could the Lepai have killed the PSU? if not I guess I will pick up a decent 12v 5amp PSU, but I don't really want to buy a new PSU just to have it fried!

thanks!

Very likely your PSU just died by itself. I had setup a few Lepai units and so far none of them has fried a PSU. Don't worry about it... My Lepai amp is coming to 4 years old and it is a joy so far.

I haven't gone through all the pages but I have a question about this amp. I have an audio setup in my car where I need two audio sources to go through the same OEM amp. I found this amp which seems to take two inputs and gives out one input. My idea is to input a phone input and a soundcard input to this amp and feed the output to the oem amp. I read that this amp outputs both audio sources at the same time. I have an application which mutes the soundcard output when a phone comes in so this won't be an issue. I also noted that I need a line out driver to convert the output of this amp to the input of the oem amp. What do you think of this setup? Is there any other preferably simpler way of achieving what I'm trying to do? thanks.

I haven't gone through all the pages but I have a question about this amp. I have an audio setup in my car where I need two audio sources to go through the same OEM amp. I found this amp which seems to take two inputs and gives out one input. My idea is to input a phone input and a soundcard input to this amp and feed the output to the oem amp. I read that this amp outputs both audio sources at the same time. I have an application which mutes the soundcard output when a phone comes in so this won't be an issue. I also noted that I need a line out driver to convert the output of this amp to the input of the oem amp. What do you think of this setup? Is there any other preferably simpler way of achieving what I'm trying to do? thanks.

You may use a passive line selector (does not require power) or a preamp (requires power). Yes, both inputs on the Lepai are "shared". You can only play from one source at a time.

Yes you can plug in two sources at a time but if you play from both sources at the same time you may risk damage (and bad distorted sound).
Or you could use a few 4,7k ohm resistors on the cable to combine left&left and right&right like in passive stereo-mono converters? Very easily done even for soldering and electronic noobs.

Thanks for the info. I want the switching to be automatic. no knobs to turn or switches to flip. Is this passible with the passive line selector. a how to do guide would be much appreciated. I have a soldering iron but i'm not into electronics :) if I know what parts to do and how to solder them I can manage that. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.