Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2011, 12:49 PM   #1511
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

MEH! Looks like I'm gonna have to find a substitute speaker now.
Quote:
Hello Ruben.
I donīt understand what has happened.
It was 2 Hp-10W left when I where at our wherehouse. But now they are not there.
It seems that someone had been here and bought those two, just when I changed your order.
Iīm so sorry.
Isnīt there any other speaker that can fit.
-.- It's my damn luck

May as well make the SP-60 system with 8 units of them paralleled into 4 ohm
Old 17th May 2011, 01:01 PM   #1512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post

-.- It's my damn luck

Hmm I just checked and you can get 4 Goldwood GW1058 from parts-express.com through Shopusa.com for around 1300dkr.. Thats pretty close to the price of 4 HP10w with shipping..

Just make sure that the packaging of the woofers doesnt exceed 0,5m3 and you'll be fine.. I used Shopusa.com for the ebay tweeters and it worked absolutely fine..
Old 17th May 2011, 01:37 PM   #1513
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post

-.- It's my damn luck

What retailer is this? Hifiladen?
Old 17th May 2011, 01:39 PM   #1514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3 View Post
1. If I dont do the magnet to magnet construction will it still be loud enough to throw a great party at Roskilde festival. Whats the minimum size of the box and should each speaker have its own room or can they share one big box ? We want the speakers at the same side
Why would you do that? Then you'll have to recalculate enclosure volume and you'll have to figure out a bafflestep filter.

Quote:
2. anyone know if the bubble tweeters (10pack) from ebay needs ohm resister ? or are they included ?
Probably. Haven't tested it but somewhere between 47 and 150 ohms

Quote:
3. We want to play loud so do you guys think its a good idea to get the amp9 basic instead of amp6 ? we got plenty of batteries (some of them are 80 ah marine ones.) is there a significant increase in volume by choosing the amp9 prior to the amp6 ?
and is there enough juice in amp9 to with another 4 hp-10w and 4 piezos (bridging) later?
You cannot bridge the amp9b (or the amp6b). The amp will die instantly if you try. And no, for the thousand time, an amp9b or any other amplifier has exactly the same output on the same battery (if the amp has 90% efficiency at least).

Quote:
if we use amp9 we need 24v to get maximum volume, but is it possible to bridge two batteries with diffrent AH to get the desired voltage?
*DO NOT EVER DO THAT* at least not if you value your health or even life. The chance of one or both batteries exploding is very real if you try that.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:42 PM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedras View Post
Hmm I just checked and you can get 4 Goldwood GW1058 from parts-express.com through Shopusa.com for around 1300dkr.. Thats pretty close to the price of 4 HP10w with shipping..
Yeah, but partsexpress are very expensive at USD40 each. You can find them as low as USD27 each which amounts to roughly DKK1000 through shopusa.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:52 PM   #1516
chief3 is offline chief3  Denmark
diyAudio Member

"Why would you do that? Then you'll have to recalculate enclosure volume and you'll have to figure out a bafflestep filter."

Because we will probaly have the boominator behind us and not in the middle of our camp. There for we think its bit of waste that one side of the speakers are playing out to nothing. A baffle filter is the wooden panel with holes between the speakers in the boominator ? is it important that the enclosure volume is something exact? thought the bigger the better was the thumb

You cannot bridge the amp9b (or the amp6b). The amp will die instantly if you try. And no, for the thousand time, an amp9b or any other amplifier has exactly the same output on the same battery (if the amp has 90% efficiency at least).

I thought you bridged two speakers into each channel in the amp6b for maximizing the output from the speakers (ohm) ? then i thought i could do the same with the amp9b being a 4-channel just with 8 hp10w.

so i wont hear any diffrence if i use an amp9b instead of amp6b?

if we use amp9 we need 24v to get maximum volume, but is it possible to bridge two batteries with diffrent AH to get the desired voltage?

ok so its possible with if the batteries are at the same AH right ? thanks for the warning thou
Old 17th May 2011, 02:19 PM   #1517
diyAudio Member

The whole reason the design can be so small is the bipolar design. That means the bass output from the back mixes with what comes from the front to make a flat frequency response. If you don't do this you'll need to recalculate the cabinet and you'll need a baffle step filter, which is an electronic filter that inserts a 6dB loss at frequencies over in this case 400Hz, so you don't get any higher output from having the speakers on one side, you only lose bass performance, or will need a (much) larger cabinet.

You can parallel speakers and parallel channels. That's the exact opposite of bridging which is to serial connect though.

Btw, to get 24V out of two 12V batteries you have to bridge them, ie. serial connect them.

Last edited by Saturnus; 17th May 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 17th May 2011, 04:34 PM   #1518
Smoothy is offline Smoothy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This is my first post in this forum so be nice to me

I have read -almost- the entire thread and information from different places all over the net. Under this somer I, like many else, will build a Boominator. Im not new to the building bit so that vill not prove a problem, I think. But i have some questions about the "speaker part"

I have Googeld the living ##"#^* out of the internet and I'cant find the Paudio HP-10W in stock! Tips? If not i need to find a replacement i europe very soon so i can start my build. Im not 100% on the tweeter part but I think i will solve that one myselfe.

Is there any way to mute one side of the boominator? I have a feeling that a switch in series with one channel isn't recommended. This could be useful if you wont to direct the sound and not force your music on every one in for example the park a nice saturday evening.

And bay the way, thanks for an amazing work on this project Saturnus. Its very appreciated!
Old 17th May 2011, 05:09 PM   #1519
chief3 is offline chief3  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thank you Saturnus for your help. Im sorry im not very good with this its kinda my first time trying to asemble anything like this.

We will stick with the original boominator design then. Would you suggest getting a Amp9 or Amp6 if we want to get the maximum sound output we have no problem changing the batteries more often if we can play louder. (sorry if you already have answerd this, but i find it hard to understand some parts of your posts)

1. so in theory we could parallel 8 x hp10w to an amp9 ?

2. will it be louder if we use an amp9 instead of amp6
Old 17th May 2011, 06:17 PM   #1520
Smoothy is offline Smoothy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Can i maybe use HP-10T?

(continuing on last poste on previous page)

Hide this!Advertise here!