Paradise Builders

Plus-Minus 7mV offset is certainly not a problem.

I'm running input transformers in my linestage for phase splitting (lundahl LL1676) which is Amorphous core without airgap.. and i started wonder if it would be perferable to still have input cap.. of course they can take a little DC - but how much is too much? also, i'm thinking during startup the offset can be quite high?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi All

A quick build update.

I fired up the Paradise/Calvin boards today and very roughly set the IP offset with a 10K load and well I never. No magic smoke released but a large +/-125MV offset on both boards.

The Calvin adjusts down to 0V between IP and OP so looking good voltage wise.

Ok I remember Paulski’s remarks re boxing and flipped the lid on and let it warm up for 15mins or so.

The OP offset dropped like a stone with the lid on so worth keeping in mind when you first measure.

I now have a more manageable +/- 7mv on both boards OP but I’d like it a little lower.

So I think I’ll be trying to thermocouple the front end transistors to see if that helps.

The 7mv seems to be OK but every little helps.

some not very good pictures of my build so far

View attachment 387013

View attachment 387014

Looks good, and it looks like you did the grounding as I talked about in my huge ramblings...... Would be interested to know if you hear any hum!
Great build
alfred

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I'm running input transformers in my linestage for phase splitting (lundahl LL1676) which is Amorphous core without airgap.. and i started wonder if it would be perferable to still have input cap.. of course they can take a little DC - but how much is too much? also, i'm thinking during startup the offset can be quite high?

How about powering Paradise and then plugging it in the linestage 10seconds later (the big hump is over then)? It is best anyway to keep it powered up all the time.

I run the transformer in 2:1 step-down so input impedance is approx 200K, so it's an easy load.
I started thinking the best way would maybe be building a output relay delay, and put it on a time i know the output voltage is stabilized.
I'll try shooting Lundahl an email asking this very question - because i'm shure interested to know. The only way otherwise for me to "skip" output cap would be to have balanced output, because i have one XLR input after the transformer.

Of course it's DC which is the concern but the question is how much is acceptable? To much can also get the transformer magnetized, and i have heard it is pretty hard to demagnetize it, but have no pratical experience of this..
Anyway, i'll just wait lundahl's answer, and when my unit is finished i'll see if there is any output delay needed during startup.

Looks good, and it looks like you did the grounding as I talked about in my huge ramblings...... Would be interested to know if you hear any hum!
Great build
alfred

Hi Alfred

Yes read that really useful post and used along with Frans Diagram helped me find a place to start. I’ve seem others use different approaches to grounding but left myself room to change easily if I need to.

TBH I have high hopes for the DDRC.;)

I’m also hoping that Thermo coupling the front end will reduce DC offset still further but I’ll know that tomorrow.

I’ll let you know on the Hummmm once I’ve plugged in. I’ve used a similar scheme before and it worked well so fingers crossed.

Hi Marra

Yes well compare notes on that:cool:.

My Paradise Built

Here a few pictures of my own Paradise I just completed. The PCB were done months ago, but I was waiting for the proper enclosure. I found two nice metal cases that I reused and I designed custom front and back panels from Front Panel Express. The preamp is black, the pre-reg is silver. Here we go with the pre-regs, dual mono naturally ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpg
    IMG_7131.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_7133.JPG
    IMG_7133.JPG
    895.5 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    950.6 KB · Views: 509
As you can see I did my own PCB. The preamp now. I included a 'Load' socket for each input RCA to use a selectable cartridge load. The preamp has a 47K resistor installed inside by default.

Attachments

• IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7152.JPG
    870 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    949 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_7156.jpg
    IMG_7156.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_7157.jpg
    IMG_7157.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 294
Because my pre-reg supply voltage was a little on the high side, and that the preamp shunt regs were cooking at 50C, I installed a central CRC filter to lower the supply voltage and the noise at the same time. I did it using spare parts I had in stock, nothing fancy. The input voltage drops from 28.2Vdc (ripple 37mv) to 25.4Vdc (ripple 1.8mv) before the shunt reg adjusted at 18V on the preamp PCB. Noise is then lower than 1mv on my DVM. Not bad. I included a clos-up of my preamp PCB.

Attachments

• IMG_7160.jpg
    IMG_7160.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_7159.jpg
    IMG_7159.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 232
Hi all

Back for another update.

So with the thermo coupling coppers in place I now have 2.1mv DC offset on both channels with 10R Input load.

looking better all of the time in that front.

next step

Plug in my DC coupled Headphone amp/stunt headphones.:)

And

One thing I would like to complain about is the hummmmm.:D:rolleyes:

Yup I can just about hear it with the volume control maxed so well done Frans and Alfred. That grounding scheme sure works well so far and I’ve no reason to doubt that it will work well in my main set up.

For DC couplers It’s worth noting that the DC offset does take 15-20 mins to stabilise so I’ll just be switching the Paradise on before the rest of the system (all DC coupled with servos in the pre and power with speaker protection).

I’m happy with the results so far and confident that I have almost reached paradise.:angel:

Now the switch on and off cycles for the next few days and then some music.

Hopefully some comments on sound next:snail:

Last edited:
I can see that the Paradise progress since the last time I took a look. Do you where the thermal coupling is mentionned in the thread, as well as the new grounding scheme? I want to implement it into mine for sure.

The coupling caps are a temporary measure to let me test the preamp for a while. The little DC offset worry me a little on some of my amps.

I hope to reach such low DC offset as a few mv, but for now it is rather around 20-30mv. This is why I'm so interested in the latest improvement.

Thanks...
SB