Zen-Light Amp questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The "environments" for the gain devices (IRFP240) are built on individual pieces of them eurocard-thing. Wiring among parts (resistors and caps) is done p2p with the component's leads, all the other wiring is done with 2,5mm² flexible wire. The "environments" rest on the elect's bypass caps. The output decoupling caps are Nichicon Gold Tune, the other one is a Panasonic FC.

Attachments

• gold tune.jpg
    gold tune.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 553
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Everything was fine when I first fired up the new circuit.
After 2 hours of operation the transforer has got around 30°C, the rectifier-bridges' heatsinks about the same, the inductors ~50°C and the heatsink where the FETs are mounted on is still "touchable" @ maybe 60-65°C.

The transformer slightly humms, but I think it's cureable with new PSU-electrolytics (I've been told that old elects cause the transformer to humm because of their larger leakage current...)

The amp itself is dead silent, there's only a few mV from the supply, inaudible as long as the ear is not touching the speaker-cone.

The amp's sound is to die for, but it actually makes me "dislike" some (badly recorded/produced/mixed/...) CDs because it reveals everything.

Thank you Mr. Pass for the inspiriation and help provided.

And here's the view from the couch.

Attachments

• couch lite.jpg
    couch lite.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 584
Your new altar to praise the music, David! Congratulations!
- how can a small amp get so big in the end... looks impressive, especially the last image.
And I like the "danger skull" Lebensgefahr sign - reminds me of some of my setups (made provisory, but stayed then a loong time unchanged...)

all the best

klaus

a few hints maybe:
I would do a much better star ground if possible - not just running a strong wire to one point (it is not so clearly visible for me)
I recommend to put less cap value before the coil and more after - so for your five caps, I personally (I have read somewhere why) would do a C-L-C-C-C-C setup (star grounded)

Why not leave the whole setup on a table like board, like in the old days, more looking like a scientific experiment (if possible)? - isolation of lethal voltages is mandatory.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What can I say..after almost two years I felt like putting this beast in a cage. I already miss the tabletop setup...

The whole story approximately goes like this: Maybe four years ago i ebayed me a Sony STR-DB825, reasonably cheap. Some sensing-resitor was blown but I couldn't fix it back then. Luck me, I soon realized that Zen is the answer and started building the Zenlite. The Sony's transformer turned out to be much too weak to light the Lite. So when an appropriate 12kg toroid was sourced for the Zen-light, the sony one was used in the BOZ. Many parts of the Sony where recycled, like LEDs (those were red back then), screws, heatsink, relais, caps, the rotary switch, knowledge and inspiration from the service manual and not to forget the big black alloy knobs to conveniently select the BOZ's source and set the volume. The latter explain the two big holes in the frontplate. Funny, the empty case was in my living room all that time and it just recently occured to me that it would make a nifty box for the amp. Density sure went up.

There's just one last thing to say: I love you gals n guys.

Attachments

• naked.jpg
    naked.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 434
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:

Just about forever. And if one or both blow, the amp just goes silent.

Thank you :cool:

Quite what I've expected.

Have you ever experienced any ringing from the bulbs' filaments (hardly audible), or am I tripping?

Edit: As the output is taken between the FET and the bulbs the filaments should rock a little, but audible...?

I know this is an old project but i found my old Zen light and im going to build it fully as i never did, im thinking of this 1000w bulb one per channel as im england.

1000W, 240V Halogen, 189mm Flood Light Bulb x 10 | eBay

Also does anyone have any idea how i can put an input buffer on this amp to increase the gain ?

I still have some SVP3306A transistor which were used in the zen 4, any ideas welcome!
Ill post pics once this amps up and going, my zen 4 is here

http://www.rixsta.co.uk/Electronics/Electronic%20Projects.htm

Last edited:
I know this is an old project but i found my old Zen light and im going to build it fully as i never did, im thinking of this 1000w bulb one per channel as im england.

1000W, 240V Halogen, 189mm Flood Light Bulb x 10 | eBay

Also does anyone have any idea how i can put an input buffer on this amp to increase the gain ?

I still have some SVP3306A transistor which were used in the zen 4, any ideas welcome!

The Halogen bulb is ok for the Zen light of any sort ( see also De lite and L'Amp threads ) .

If you mean the buffer itself as in zen 4 , it will not increase the gain , but instead will help to have better Hi frequency response and also higher input impedance .

In my experience , with the Zen lite and a load of 18 to 20 ohm ( which is typically the value of the 1000 watt bulb ) there is enough gain for speakers above 90db 1w 1 meter .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.