• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Who makes their own OPT around here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK boyz .... who's gonna calculate nice and small output xformer , for line preamp duty
~5K:600R , small Hypersil C core ( or double , if needed) . I'll give dimensions , if I'm lucky ;)

ignorant , but greedy ZM

( when I was a boy , I was interested in chess ; not for long - I realize that I must make a choice between life and chess .
later I started playin' with output xformers ; that was even worse . after third prototype I abandoned ...... :rofl:
maybe one day , when I go in retirement ..... )

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen,
Where does the greedy part come in? I thought you were a mosfet audiophile type anyway. You should have some really good sources in your area. Most of the good tubes can be bought cheaply behind the iron drapes.

Tad

well - my (first) love is still with toobz ;) ;

blame Papa for my recent playing in sand box

regarding cheap tubes - unfortunately , those days are over , and we all are in same situation , speaking of sources ( former USSR countries , and some Eastern Europe ones .... )

When people ask how much the discount is for X pieces, I usually say that a series production will be more expensive than a single pair; I am not a machine.

I hire only women. I ask to see their handwork. For crochet and knitting I want to see even thread tension and a lot of boring repetition. For needlework I want to see the very same things. This all shows that they can become meditative, go to some location their imagination provides, but still monitor and accomplish repetitive hand work. While training them, I never walk up to them and interrupt their activities. Instead I walk up along side them, about two feet away and wait till they look up before discussing anything with them. Failure to do this guarantee's that the next batch of work from that person will be done wrong, and it is my fault.

Then I send them home with tools needed, provide them with as much work as their situation allows and pay them VERY well for their skills. Our in house reject rate is less than 0.5% at final test.

Bud

The double E core that Tony mentioned above uses special long E laminations (some outfit in NJ, had the patent I believe) with an (at least) double width back side to the E's. The opposing E's then get pushed all the way together without I lams. The back side will have somewhat reduced permeability compared to an I lam due to it's grain orientation. But the double E scheme does not suffer from a sudden drop in permeability when the flux reaches the 1/2 max point, where it would normally have to suddenly jump the E-I air gaps in an E-I setup. So the double E version is more constant permeability than E-I over the full flux range.

One could, I suppose, use I lams with the double E setup by using a normal stacking that leaves room for the I's. Then the benefits of both could be combined.

The main benefit is from using long E's, in either case, since they reduce leakage inductance considerably over scrapless E-I's. There are long E lams still commonly available (but without the doubled backside, see image attached) for constant voltage transformers.

hi smoking-amp,

i remember Steve Eddy posted such type of construction, but with a very small IT, used only E's and no I's.....

opt do

I buy or trade. My friend designs and sells. One of the people that built an amp my friend designed wound his own opts by hand, using perfect lie (every layer is wound in the same direction). My friend reports it sounded wonderful.

There may be more to this hobby than arithmetic problems :)

Happy Ears!

Al

Almarcy,
I wonder if you could get close to the same results by just winding the secondaries in the same direction. Winding all of the primaries this way and attaching the connecting archs would be tiresome indeed. That is quite a lot of soldering on very fine wires. As I posted before there is a real nice example of this type of transformer on the One Electron site Randall museum page.

Tad

Here is a picture of Nayim's amp. niyom_detail.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.