Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

• Red

Votes: 82 18.0%
  • Green

Votes: 129 28.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 147 32.2%
  • White

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 30 6.6%
  • Violet

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Purple

Votes: 17 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Build it and see for yourself

Well guess what; that is exactly what I just did :tongue: The asymmetry of lots of music wasn't particularly great and the effect was only so-so effective. So I added a rectifier (big deal).

A silent video of the modified circuit operating in the dark, with a 5mm bi/tri colour LED, pulsing to the beat of Paradise by Sade can be viewed by clicking on the link here:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~glenk/bassled.AVI

I can't remember the last time a made something this exciting! LOL!

Violet or Green

I prefer Violet with Black front panels and Green with silver, dont like 5mm LEDs I prefer 3mm flat top cylindrical, I dont think there are any Violet yet in this format so I use a light pipe (3mm Perspex).

I did read somewhere that Blue light has a negative affect upon the human mind so best to avoid I think when the goal is musical pleasure.

We gotta be nuts!

RC:spin:

I bought some really flourescent tubing and would like some UV LED's to make them light up. But alas, 365nm and shorter LED's are impossible to come by :(

I did read somewhere that Blue light has a negative affect upon the human mind so best to avoid I think when the goal is musical pleasure.

My mom took a few psychology courses and her textbooks had interesting info on this... blue, especially dark blue lighting, enhances pretty much every negative emotion, while pink enhanced positive ones.

(see, there's logic in why we like to see girls in pink :p )

Cheers!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pink LED's wear out the fastest, due to the phosphor characteristics or something

You are correct, sir! They were meant for brief use, so the toy would be thrown away before the color ever faded. I still like them.

I do enjoy LEDs. My first electronics projects - back the 70s - where LED chase lights. I built all kinds of pins and badges with flashy lights. Even had a jacket and shoes with LED chase lights. I was King of the disco! Ah.... the 70s.

Well guess what; that is exactly what I just did :tongue: The asymmetry of lots of music wasn't particularly great and the effect was only so-so effective. So I added a rectifier (big deal).

A silent video of the modified circuit operating in the dark, with a 5mm bi/tri colour LED, pulsing to the beat of Paradise by Sade can be viewed by clicking on the link here:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~glenk/bassled.AVI

I can't remember the last time a made something this exciting! LOL!

Now try this: a logarithmic amp after a rectifier/smoother, then C-R differentiating network to detect attack/decay and drive your LEDs. Such a way you will got good effect independent on loudness. I did that for a stage light (drum set), 8-channel thingy with thyristor control.

Who knows? I might try to do a 'brown' LED using a RGB for my next project.

Brown is a dark yellow. You will need brighter background for a yellow LED to get brown color.

Last edited:

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Now try this: a logarithmic amp after a rectifier/smoother, then C-R differentiating network to detect attack/decay and drive your LEDs.

That would seem quite overkill for a LED.

Anyway, here is the final circuit. The LED glows green with no signal, and turns to full red with max. signal.

Attachments

• bassledmkii.JPG
    bassledmkii.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.