Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

• Red

Votes: 82 18.0%
  • Green

Votes: 129 28.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 147 32.2%
  • White

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 30 6.6%
  • Violet

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Purple

Votes: 17 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm the only vote for yellow???

I love the retro appeal. It always makes me think of that scene in the hunt for red october when the americans board the red october and it's got those yellow lights blinking for the (simulated) radiation leak.

I don't know why that's significant though.

Two problems with blue LED: one, it's annoying to the eye, as already mentioned; two, it became so trendy that it is certain to look very old-fashioned in the near future (anyone remember the fad for DATA70 typeface, and how old-fashioned all those businesses who put it into their logos soon looked?).

[OT] I've always liked the green that electroluminescent panels make - does anyone know if these panels generate a lot of noise, or shouldn't be used for some other reason? If not, they seem like they might work well as power indicators, since they run on mains current... [/OT]

Regards.

Aengus

I've always liked the green that electroluminescent panels make - does anyone know if these panels generate a lot of noise, or shouldn't be used for some other reason? If not, they seem like they might work well as power indicators, since they run on mains current

They need around 120V at a few tens of kilohertz. The required switching inverter is thus a great source of radio frequency noise - and needs effective shielding.
The FL panels are also short lived compared to LEDs.

Plus a good few tens of dollars for a power on/off indicator? (Compared to 5c for an LED!)

I hate the blue of blue LEDs. What would be nice as an indicator would be the aquamarine of VFL alphanumeric displays - not sure if LEDs come in that colour. Yet.

Which coloured LED

I prefer the UV LED. Unlike Blue LEDs which can light up a small room at night, even at low current, the UV LED such as the attached from Jaycar, looks classy,and not obtrusive.
SandyK

CAT. NO. ZD0260 RRP $4.95
LED 5MM CLR UV 60MCD
Emitted colour: UVLens colour: clearWave length: 395nm: Pd W: If mA: If mA (peak): Min: Vf (V) Typ: 3.7Max: 4.2

Color of led's ... wow. This is definitely a fanatic topic. I have 9 led's on(in) my amp , (4 red's for my beloved CCS's) , (red/blue for +- rails) and a green/ red bi-color for power on /softstart.

The blues are visible through the front Plexiglas window, shining DOWN on the 1.5 KVA toroid /supply caps for that "evil power" look. They do have a use, as well ... to confirm the auxiliary supply's operation.
OS

I really do like that blue LED...It must have a ultraviolet component as it looks way weird, almost an ethereal look to it. Tubes and this color go together perfectly.
There is one in our bedroom in the cable-box....it functions almost as creepy nite-light.
All other colors look old fashioned.
_________________________________________________________________________________________Rick...........

Last edited:
Originally posted by Steerpike

They need around 120V at a few tens of kilohertz. The required switching inverter is thus a great source of radio frequency noise - and needs effective shielding.
The FL panels are also short lived compared to LEDs.

Plus a good few tens of dollars for a power on/off indicator? (Compared to 5c for an LED!)

Steerpike, thank you for the response - what you describe sounds not ideal; but are we talking about the same thing? Here one can buy for a couple of dollars a nightlight, based, I had thought, on an electroluminescent panel. It will typically be only about 6mm thick, will have a green glowing area about 25x40 mm, with a 6mm or so plastic frame around it (all these dimensions are based on my hazy recollection of the one I once had but now don't). Sticking out the back will be two prongs such that it can be plugged into a wall socket. Can the switching inverter be put into such a small space? And definitely not tens of dollars.

I suppose I should go look for another one, plug it in, and stick a scope on the powerline for a before/after look.

Regards.

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.