Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

Which colored LED do you like as the "Power On" indicator?

• Red

Votes: 82 18.0%
  • Green

Votes: 129 28.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 147 32.2%
  • White

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 30 6.6%
  • Violet

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Purple

Votes: 17 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Same opinion on blue leds. Distracting, disturbing and they have this enerving glow (because the eye can't focus it right, I once heard).
If at least it was a blue worth the name. With a shorter wavelength, like 440nm-ish - and not this cheap plastic allmost cyan-blue.

So depending on the design, I would go for classical red, amber or some fancy green led like in todays macbooks (not these lime allmost yellow ones). Allthough white might also be a nice option (if you can't decide for a color, just take them all ;) ).

If by teal you mean blue-green, Electronic Goldmine was selling some of those - you might try there. A few mils is all you need for optimum brightness and it's an attractive and (for LEDs) unusual color. Another favorite of mine is the old glass-jeweled (not faceted) pilot lights. I have a couple I'm saving for that special project.

Well, if I'm building something medium to high-tech, I'll use a red LED. Blue is too popular now, and I donT' like super bright LEDs of any colour. I will prefer a green LED with a clear case to red one, if it's available in my stock. Or else I'll put whatever I have.

HOWEVER

I Do not install a LED on TUBE AMPLIFIER -ANACHRONISM HELLLO:( - or on any project that is meant to be a recreation of equipment that was designed and built in a time when LEDs did not exist.

Incandescent light.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Being the brilliant mind that I am, here is what I just conjured up. This will produce the whole psychedelic spectrum of colour producible by a bi-colour LED, in rhythm to your music’s bass.

Attachments

• bmled.jpg
    bmled.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Power On Indicator

"I Do not install a LED on TUBE AMPLIFIER -ANACHRONISM HELLLO - or on any project that is meant to be a recreation of equipment that was designed and built in a time when LEDs did not exist."

I guess it must be awfully hard to get 5Y3s and 80s these days ? :D

even though those are reknowned (moreso the 80) tubes, I don't use them. I do imagine that yes, they are hard to get, and will only become more harder to get because unlike guitar amplifier tubes, they haven't started making these again. At least not to my knowledge.

Besides, I still am not going to put a LED on a germanium transistor premaplifer chassis, nor an RTL IC logic controller for my open reel tapedeck. Although LEDs were affordable by 1970's standards (1$ each), they just didn't catch on until a while later. Or else you'd have seen them on a bunch of seventies audio equipment, or even HP and Tektronix stuff of the mid-to late seventies. Now I wasn't there but I'm pretty sure I speak the truth. From what I've seen and own.

OK, OK, so some television channel indicators used seven segment displays, okay right.

over and out.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Such a brilliant mind forgot to rectify the signal. ;)

OK, you obviously can't follow the circuit then :rolleyes: The two LEDs within the bi-colour LED package are driven in anti-phase. A positive signal swing makes one brighter and the other dimmer, while negative signal swings do the opposite.

BTW, I haven't built this so I don't how effective the psychedelic effect would be. It would depend entirely on the nature of the asymmetry of the bass signals. A lower LP corner might be better too; just increase the value of the two capacitors in the filter.

This was just a mornings brain-fart.

Last edited:
OK, you obviously can't follow the circuit then :rolleyes: The two LEDs within the bi-colour LED package are driven in anti-phase. A positive signal swing makes one brighter and the other dimmer, while negative signal swings do the opposite.

BTW, I haven't built this so I don't how effective the psychedelic effect would be. It would depend entirely on the nature of the asymmetry of the bass signals. A lower LP corner might be better too; just increase the value of the two capacitors in the filter.

This was just a mornings brain-fart.
Sure it was a fart. :rolleyes:

Build it and see for yourself how asymmetric HPF-ed signals are. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.