What Pass designs have you built?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, which amp for which speakers, sounds best to you?

Magura :)

I love the sound of my current hybrid and open baffles.

The hybrid consists of a differential jfet pair (signal splitter, almost no gain); followed by 64 volt mosfet (IRF630) diff voltage gain stage; the 3rd stage is: a custom Hammond choke loaded follower, cascoded, differential LU1014D pair with the upper half IRF240 in a modulated voltage regulator configuration.

The open baffles are a line array consisting (per side) of 8 Cerwin Vega PM7 drivers crossed at 150hz to a pair of 4" TangBand titanium cone full range speakers. Pure heaven on-a-shoestring. :D

So far

2 x Aleph-M
1 x Aleph3
1 x Aleph30
2 x F4
2 x F5
1 x Babelfish-j
1 x Aleph-j

1 x BOZ
1 x Aleph P
1 x UGS pre
1 x D1 based DAC
1 x B1

Puh.. They are all still not finished but all listened to.. Got to finish those cases one day. But it's so much more fun to build, listen and tweak and listen some more..

Which amp is your favorite, David?

Hard to say since my speaks have changed quite a bit..

Aleph-M was my first build and have a special place in my heart.

F4 was lovelly together with my OB project mated with Pumpkin/Shunty.
UGS + 2 x F5 was really great on my 2-way Usher/Peerless spks.
They have stayed in my systems for the longest period of time.

I haven't had the time to listen to Aleph-J much..

Now I'm planing a new OB project so I have to dig out my F4 pcb's again. I still have every amp pcb I tried still in my drawer.. :)

Hard to say since my speaks have changed quite a bit..

Aleph-M was my first build and have a special place in my heart.

F4 was lovelly together with my OB project mated with Pumpkin/Shunty.
UGS + 2 x F5 was really great on my 2-way Usher/Peerless spks.
They have stayed in my systems for the longest period of time.

I haven't had the time to listen to Aleph-J much..

Now I'm planing a new OB project so I have to dig out my F4 pcb's again. I still have every amp pcb I tried still in my drawer.. :)

Hello David ,

What is a UGS + 2 x F5 ?

regards,

That's great, do you have a photo of the metal work you've done for the F5.

I'm still looking around, but I've built the boards.

I got a pair of these on surplus for $15, and have been building around them:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When I get out the garage next I'll take some pictures of what I've done with them.

I got a pair of these on surplus for $15, and have been building around them:
392-180AB.jpg

When I get out the garage next I'll take some pictures of what I've done with them.

Are they still available ?

Are they still available ?

There were three, and the third one was really bent up. It's a local surplus place in minneapolis and they "don't do the internet" (their phrase, not mine). They had a couple of 18" x 18" plates with 1 1/2" fins last time I was there for $25 each. They also have this profile in 6' sections pretty cheap.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
My builds are listed below.

My first was the Zen amp. Took 5 builds to get it right and it's probably the easiest to build. Will probably never part with it.
Working on a second F5 but without protection circuit and all caddock resistors on the amp boards. Will also have high-speed soft recovery rectifiers.

I have a 6 ft lenght of the above heat sink. Trying to decide what build with them. Also have another B1 partially built.

Vince

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.