What Pass designs have you built?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just as the title states, list the Pass designs that you've built and what loudspeaker you are using with them.

Additionally, what I think this forum really needs is some kind of step-by-step process to help folks successfully build, and test these amps. Also, it would include a good list of hardware suppliers (ie. chassis, ps, surface mounts, ect.) in a sticky. I'll be happy to help with this process in any way that I can.

I've been quietly reading as many post as I can to do my first build (Aleph J) and I've done projects like this before, but it's a bit daunting for the first-timer. What I really see is a lot of folks talking about what they've done, but only through reading many, many post do you understand what needs to be done in each area (i.e. board stuffing, rectifier cap choice, ect.)

Thanks,

Greg

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen - 4amps/50V - blew it up
Aleph 5, 3 - various voltages and bias settings - blew them all up
Mini-Aleph - blew it up - twice
BOZ
F5 - burned up when set to 3amps/35V
F2-Lite
Currently listening to 25W SOZ, HOT!!! - eventually will blow up, driving FE127E's in planet10-hifi's Classic Golden-Ratio (GR) Fonken cabs
Built AlephJ - yet to be fired up, high biased/water-cooled - hopefully it won't blow up

Last edited:
I began with Zen and return of Zen. Then came Aleph X, followed by Zen 7. By that time, I began to crave exploration based on Nelson's ideas and designed a combination of Zen 7 with bits of 9. Later I tried the F4 driven by a jfet differential pair.

I remember bothering people in-the-know for input regarding my ideas. I'm sure I was a bit of a pain...

Fortunately, Nelson firmly suggested that I learn to use Spice. That's when the world of Pass became my oyster. I've been learning how to combine various aspects of Nelson's ideas into a collage of my own. For me, this is the ultimate expression of growth and independence.

As far as speakers go, I've tried nearly everything (except electrostatic). Horns are my favorite followed by open baffle. I've been having a ball with my 18" monster tapped horn project. This big, bad fellow can really shake the house down! My paper mache, tractrix horns are the sweetest sounding project--I love the way they sound coupled to JBL 2446 2" compression drivers.

I'm in the process of fabricating a sound system for my neighbor's theater system. It'll have a pair of 18" tapped horns; a pair of Jensen Imperials driven with JBL 18" 2440s; 3 pairs of dual 8" driven unity horns; three JBL 2445 compression driven horns. I think it'll rock!

Last edited:
Just as the title states, list the Pass designs that you've built and what loudspeaker you are using with them.

Additionally, what I think this forum really needs is some kind of step-by-step process to help folks successfully build, and test these amps. Also, it would include a good list of hardware suppliers (ie. chassis, ps, surface mounts, ect.) in a sticky. I'll be happy to help with this process in any way that I can.

I've been quietly reading as many post as I can to do my first build (Aleph J) and I've done projects like this before, but it's a bit daunting for the first-timer. What I really see is a lot of folks talking about what they've done, but only through reading many, many post do you understand what needs to be done in each area (i.e. board stuffing, rectifier cap choice, ect.)

Thanks,

Greg

Beat me to it Greg , so many versions running around it would be nice to get an idea what is what and what version to pursue ...

why an F5 over a Aleph-J etc ...

It also appears most are running dynamic speakers open baffle or Horns , no Stats or ribbons /planers ....

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
too many to count ;
in fact - all of them which you can made from box of parts spilled over the bench ;
then - all known ( not counting last few ones made of preputium parts :rofl: )

some of them were singin' for few days ,some for few weeks and some for few months .... all in my workshop , situated on piece of MDF , as Ikebana style sculpture .

You're absolutely right that although there's a wealth of information to be found here, it sometimes proves difficult to dig it up.

The problem is that everone has his preferences with regard to component choice. There's no single recipe for cooking up a the perfect amplifier. Different component choice yields a (slightly) different sounding amp. The beauty of it is that everbody is right in their component choice. Another point are the contents of your wallet (or lack thereof). Am I gonna pay 3.9 cents for a generic resistor or 89 cents for a noninductive resistor or should I cough up $$ and buy Caddocks, and more importantly will I be able to hear the difference? What do you recommend the novice builder to buy?

Making a step-by-step guide is a great idea but it may be difficult to reach an agreement on everything in it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.