Western Electric 15A Small SATO horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ours give us everything we want and then some. They are also controlled through an electronic crossover. Everyone who listens to them comment on how they feel it in the chest. Ours are sitting on a masonary floor which I'm certain helps.

I found the Klipsch forum and really interested in the dog house modification will be looking into this some more, thanks for the tip.

We have hundreds of CD's enjoy all kinds of music. All time favorites would be from the 50's 60's 70's even 80's. We enjoy rock n roll, blues, jazz, just to name a few.

The CD that started my quest to find the right sound system was heard through a pair of Sato Horns it was by Charly Antolini - 'Crash Countdown' the tune is "Cabriolet" the other is "Slow Motion" both were my inspiration.

Oh, I did not build the Sato horns I modified Klipsch midrange horns bored the throats to accept new PRV Audio drivers D290Py-S. Built separate cabinets for them set them on top of the speaker stack at approx.. 6' off the floor. Personally I believe Charly Antolini's Cabriolet sounds almost exactly the same as if I had the Sato horns could not be more pleased.
Mike

Ok, sorry for the confusion. because now i'm also dreaming to own 1 (sato horn) to replace my Altec 511B with 808 8B on top of my Onken 360L with Altec 416 8B crossed at 500hz.
The plan is just to replace the 511B horn with Small Sato horn and I'm going to use the Altec 808 8B with the same crossover.

IMG_7052.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:
Are you going to build the horn? There are drawings to get dimensions on line. I built a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice sub base horns, the mids sitting on top of the sub's are Klipsch LaScala's, the modified horns are from the LaScala's. This system is BiAmped through a crossover.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It will be interesting to know your thoughts when you replace the 511 horns. They are OK with a proper crossover, but I actually like the 811 better. That seems to be a rare opinion here on this forum. :). There was a huge upgrade fro me when I went from the 511 or 811 to the multi-cell horn. Just so much more open and life-like there was no going back. But that was a different driver and different crossover.

When you go to the Sato horn with the same driver and same crossover, your tonal balance will shift, for sure. That may be good or bad, but it's a starting point. To get the most out of the combo, you'll need a new crossover. It will be interesting to know your impressions.

Hi Pano, I'm here again posting for some new experience on how far the Altec 808 8B can bring us. I already requested my friend who will build my sato horn to make the flange inter changeable to small & large format (1" & 1 1/4") as part of my contingency plan to try which CD compression driver will sound better with the Sato Horn.. I will let you know once I'm done with this project.

My current crossover
IMG_4315.JPG

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool :cool: I was just doing some reading on the Sato horn and it seems popular. I've never heard it, but have heard its big brothers, the W.E. 15A and the Vitaphone 11A.
The Sato does seem to be able to stretch the low end of a 1" throat driver. I've seen good plots using the Fostex D221. Hope to hear about what you achieve with the Altec 808

I totally understand it affected me the same way and I heard it the first time on "You Tube" My 17"x6" by 21" deep horn is plenty close enough to the Sato that my search is over. again using Charly Antolini's "Cabriolet" as a reference. The Sato is certainly an in your face creation anyone would be proud to own.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.