Western Electric 15A Small SATO horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mdross1:

I've seen the the same You-Tube clip and I found it interesting enough to actually consider building one (OK, actually a pair :) of the Sato horns. So far, I'll start by using what I have handy. The bass unit looks like it will consist of 18 inch woofers to around 300Hz, handed over to a High-Efficency (8 inch) Mid-Woofer up to around 3-4 kHz, then to some sort of temporary Horn tweeter combination until I can start the Sato Horns.
I'm in no hurry and don't have a lot of money, so this will be a slow, methodical project that shouldn't outrun my grasp of the technical aspects involved!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Intoxicated? I'm guilty. Have the Charly Antolini CD on it's way will give my gear a chance first. Already own a pair of custom built LaScalla bases,a couple different sets of horns Klipsch and Peavey. We will see how "Cabriolet" sounds using what I have.

The WE SATO horns sure grab me more for the sound but the visual is quite intoxicating for sure. Maybe it is the combination but committed either way. So much so that considering giving up some toys if the opportunity presents itself.

Thank all for the replies
Mike Ross

The horn in the video appears to be the 'Sato' DIY ‘U’ fold expo horn, though it's not a 'small' 15A per se since AFAIK none of the smaller horns in this series were single fold nor was there one with this mouth area.

Anyway, the plans was published in a French audio magazine back in the '80s IIRC and later on the net, but haven't seen them in quite awhile now and no longer have the link to see if it's in the web archive.

Not that it matters much though since it's an expo horn, so all one needs is its throat area [St], mouth area [Sm] and flare frequency [Fc] or axial length [L] to plug into Hornresp or similar to calculate a horn that you can fold it up as you please to best suit the needs of one’s app; or not, if one has enough room depth to allow a straight horn.

From the web posted plan [all dims i.d.], though best to make [St] the proper size to match one’s driver and let HR change the expansion, length to suit:

St = 19.36 cm^2/3.0"^2
Sm = 9304.5316 cm^2/1442.2053^2
L = 173 cm/68.11"
Fc = ~ 97 Hz [what I calculate, HR = 97.71 Hz]

GM

The bass unit looks like it will consist of 18 inch woofers to around 300Hz, handed over to a High-Efficency (8 inch) Mid-Woofer up to around 3-4 kHz, then to some sort of temporary Horn tweeter combination until I can start the Sato Horns.

Greets!

Long time no hear! Hope you’re fully recovered now.

OBs are what W.E. originally used, which is a horn’s acoustic mate, so definitely moving in the right direction, though in theory, dual horizontally opposed 18” would be more appropriate for this horn’s mouth area, which would then allow a lower XO point and/or lower slope order at high efficiency.

A well damped 8” is a good choice for a 4 kHz XO point and the Eminence Delta Pro 8A with its low Qts, natural decay at both ~400 & 3 kHz may be the ‘hot ticket’ for your OB, minimizing XO insertion losses.

This high up, inexpensive compression drivers become a viable super tweeter horn option for all but the most acute hearing among us, so I’ve found it best to let the females decide what’s acceptable.

Anyway, this needs a thread of its own……………….

GM

....until I can start the Sato Horns.
I'm in no hurry and don't have a lot of money, so this will be a slow, methodical project that shouldn't outrun my grasp of the technical aspects involved!
TerryO

Hey,
FYI.
Some other DIM (full) 5-way horn concept:
(Low) EV Patrician IV (driver EVM18"), (low-mid) WE66A (driver JBL2482), (mid) Iwata 2" (driver Vitavox S2/S3), (high) Iwata 1" (driver DE250) , (high) Beyma
Electronics: 5-way Actif analog X-over & 2x5 Amplifier (analog Bjt)
With a WAF=10/10

... It's music ... I like it ...

Karel

Attachments

• DSC_1604.jpg
    DSC_1604.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 1,060
Sato Alternative

Hi,feeling my way around my first post. Looking for information on the Western Electric 15A Small Sato horn.

There is a You Tube video of these horns perched on top of Klipsch LaScalla bases the sound is intoxicating to my ears not to mention the visual.

If you plan on using a Klipsch Horn for bass coverage, then the neck of Sato-Like design may be uncoiled and placed behind the K-Horn in the void at corner apex. The horn bell (and mouth) then become a 90 degree sectorial segment that has a radiation pattern complementary to that of the bass horn. This design tack should also yield a more manageable enclosure footprint for the two. The challenge is the development of the neck bend and transformation to the mouth. Width of the bent passage should not exceed ½ the wavelength of the highest frequency to be passed by the horn (typically ½ octave above the c/o LP frequency). Once this structure is determined, then design the bass horn around it. Recommend a Jubilee variant with dual 12” drivers be used here. This bass horn configuration will c/o comfortably to the midrange horn.
Regards,
WHG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.