Western Electric 15A Small SATO horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bad Idea!

You're welcome!

I believe you're better off designing/making your own plans to best fit whatever driver you prefer, but lucked up and found them here on the 1st try: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac134/audiovoice1/satohorn2.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac134/audiovoice1/satohorn.jpg

GM

The design presented here is unnecessarily bandwidth limited, is not space efficient and most likely will not present a radiation pattern that is compatible with that of LF and HF horns it must work with.
There are much better ways to fold a horn than what is shown in the drawing.
The aspect ratio of the transverse sections in the bent neck should be much higher to mitigate high frequency cancellation that occurs when signal wavelength approaches and becomes smaller the passage width. Furthermore, the mouth geometry encourages premature reflectance due the presence of diffraction edges. The size issue is primarily due to the lack of footprint management inherent in this design.

Regards,

WHG

You're 'preaching to the choir' with me, but I've learned the hard way that folks interested in vintage designs generally don't care what's technically wrong with them, so for the most part don't waste my time anymore trying to convert them unless they specifically ask how to improve it.

Anyway, they tend to sound better overall than 99.9% of what's available to the consumer, so still a big step up in performance for them.

GM

For Chrome - Right click on the web page and select 'Translate to English'.

Really?! I had to go into Settings/Advanced/Languages and then choose what I wanted it to do, which is to automatically translate anything it can into English. When it does it, it pops up a header. Unfortunately, many docs are just images, so these can't be translated.

GM

Attachments

• Translation header.gif
    Translation header.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 857
BTW:

You're 'preaching to the choir' with me, but I've learned the hard way that folks interested in vintage designs generally don't care what's technically wrong with them, so for the most part don't waste my time anymore trying to convert them unless they specifically ask how to improve it.

Anyway, they tend to sound better overall than 99.9% of what's available to the consumer, so still a big step up in performance for them.

GM

GM,
I posted my comments here because that is where the drawing is.
A "choir preach" to you, was not intended.
Regards,
WHG

Really?! I had to go into Settings/Advanced/Languages and then choose what I wanted it to do, which is to automatically translate anything it can into English. When it does it, it pops up a header. Unfortunately, many docs are just images, so these can't be translated.

GM

This explains it, right clicking on this document says it is an image.Yet another step closer to figuring out how to use a computer and it's tools
Thanks GM

Reading all the posts has me wondering why I can't just design my own horn using the drawings I already have and build them to fit the area they will sit in.

Next thing is to lean on you forum members to give a suggestion for the drivers that might work in a WE 15A small SATO style horn.

Last edited:
This thread is a trip down the memory lane for me as i had read the linked articles including the one on Mr sato's system as a teenager in hardcopy back somewhere in the eighties.

Those were a stunning series of reports on mostly Japanese (and mind you Jean Hiraga is half french and half Japanese) most of them DIY by audio fanatics :). In the case discussed here, Mr Sato not only adapted and built the horns, but a big part of the electronics and even the turntable was made by himself.

Not sure if you can call this a small WE 15A, Hiraga writes in the article that it's a reproduction of the WE 6368 in the family of folded horns that go up to the 15A

I agree with the OP statement that the looks of these horns is great and make them very desirable-
There is a french vlog in which we get to see (but not hear) another horn that looks remotely similar (albeit even smaller?) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NmqULIP0io (at the beginning)

Wonder what that one is.

Certainly appreciate the two sites you gave us C37,just the pictures alone are a wealth of information. Google translation works great, would be a real treat if it could do it in real time on the You Tube videos.
Wow! all the more motivated to build a set of these horns. Over the past couple of weeks even am amazed at how many designs there are to consider. Very serious about the WE 15A SATO design considering scaling them down a tad to fit my needs. Have a supplier for the wood to be used,now have to focus on the drivers.

One of the tube amplifiers to be used once these speakers are built started to produce smoke from one of the capacitors at 80 volts, so it is time to do a recap.

Have heard them both without actually being in the rooms hearing the added corner base over the LaScalla's is difficult and it is only the horns that really stand out of course that is what I have been focusing on. The look and sound of those horns really grabs me.

Looking forward to the day when tweaking them consumes me.

I know what you mean, I love the look of those horns. I'm very new to audio and I'm planning on using e-JMLC horns with La Scala bottom. I showed my other half the WE SATO horns as another option and she was less than impressed so I doubt I'll be experiencing them anytime soon. I have a small home even by English standards so I'm pushing it as it is.

Paul

Hi Paul
Good one, my wife gave me the same response but after all the years we have been married and enjoying music on finely tuned audio gear she says go for it. We have a small home luckily with a finished basement part of it is mostly mine, the wife loves it.
Don't give up on your wishlist for speakers their time will come.

Our LaScalla base cabinets are custom built and after owning realized with heavy base at a high db level they need stiffening (the sides and back will be 1 1/2" thick) plan to do that at the same time I'm building the SATO horns.

Mike

Mike, a basement would be amazing but I'm going to have to shoehorn the speakers into my sitting room. I think your idea of small is probably different to mine :) Think of my place as tiny. I'm thinking of porting the La Scala bass as per a mod on the Klipsch forum, then turning them on their side with the e-JMLC horns on top. I've been planning these for 2 to 3 years and have been assembling the parts. Takes time as I'm putting together a whole system at once and the cost of everything soon adds up to a vast amount. I used some 1.5" bamboo ply for my kitchen and thought that would be nice for the bass bins.

It sure does add up but Oh so worth every penny. When we first moved here we had our main audio system in our living room it was very cramped and we always had so much fun.
Our base cabinets done in flat black are setup just like those in the You Tube video, they are bi-amped powered with 250wpc SoundCraftsman . Had been using Klipsch Heresy II for the mid and high, now using Peavey SP-5 for the stronger horns.
I'll bet the bamboo looks incredible in your kitchen and can picture the base bins done with it,ours are knotty pine we are country folk.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.