Water-cooled Aleph idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
Nice plane. I used to fly one of those. Before I started spending
money on audio.

:cool:
That's awesome!! Flying is a blast for sure....although learning is very expensive.

That pic was my solo day. Its a 1982 Piper Warrior II. I'm a few hours away from my Private, then to Instrument, Commercial, then ATP....its a career change for me, while I'm still young. Flying is a bit like DIY....the learning never ends, and there are new thrills awaiting.

Attachments

• img_0509.jpg
    img_0509.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 306
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Haven't posted in a while, so I figured I'll post my progress on the water cooling block idea. I've attached two peltier devices, and they work remarkably well; haven't tested them with a load yet. The problem with these devices is even with one running at 5VDC it draws 6A, and at 10VDC about 11A, add the amp its cooling and now we're tripping breakers. I'll have to bring this contraption in the basement, wire the trafos up for 240VAC and let it rip. 8 degrees F at 5V, -5 degrees F at 10VDC.

I'm thinking a 5A Mini-Aleph @ 22V or possibly a very heavily biased F5.

These peltiers have a 545W rating, operate from 0-16 volts DC and 0-32 amps. The question I have, if anyone is familiar with these devices.....does the 545W rating mean that the device can handle 545W or does it mean that just by powering up the devices to full power, they consume 545W?

Attachments

• DSCF0218.JPG
    DSCF0218.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0219.JPG
    DSCF0219.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 228
These peltiers have a 545W rating, operate from 0-16 volts DC and 0-32 amps. The question I have, if anyone is familiar with these devices.....does the 545W rating mean that the device can handle 545W or does it mean that just by powering up the devices to full power, they consume 545W?

Juding from the simple math, if they draw a max of 16 V @ 32 amps, then that would equate to 512 watts--which is pretty close to the 545W rating you refer to. Just taking a guess, then, you are quoting a "power consumption" rating, rather than the cooling rating. Based on the efficiency of the peltier junction, I'd suspect your "cooling capacity" is significantly less.

Fun devices, peltier junctions. I've run VHF MOSFETS in a 144 MHZ power amp at SEVEN TIMES their rated (ambient temp) output, by using "stacked peltiers" (three levels), coupled to a room temp fan-cooled heat sink.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I figured I could push the fets of a mini-aleph a little bit further. I'll start out conservative I guess....how about 4A @ 22V, that would be about 90W per fet, about 180W that will be dissipated into each peltier. Hope this will be able to keep the poor fets alive for at least a few listening sessions; albeit, short ones, as the power meter will be spinning...fast!

I will be using water cooling as well when I start my monster class a project as well.
I already have a, spare, rather large air condtioner and a resovior from a kinetico water softener which will all be located in the garage on the other side of the house.

I had come up with this concept in the early 80's,But know one (including myself) has ever implemented this idea until recently.

And now it is used extensively in desk top computers.

My design was to use a car air condtioner evaporator unit as the heat sink to dissipate 1820 watts at 480 watts x 4 channels.
A regular style heatsink with that kind of dissipating ablity would be rather large and very expensive even back then.
Every thing was to fit in a 21"w x 7"h X 19"d case! jer

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
one "cool" Aleph

Back at it, Merry X-mas everyone!!

essentially an Aleph 3, but with 5.5A bias, and roughly 30V rails, 0.22R Source resistors. Simple (silly) question. Now I've read about setting AC current gain in the Aleph ad nauseum. Referencing R21 (Aleph 2 schematic), removing it, and measuring the AC value while the amplifier is outputting 10 watts....How do I measure the output wattage at any given moment, and do I need a signal generator that will provide some sort of constant arbitrary frequency? I've built plenty of alephs, mainly just blindly with others input, so I never did any real measurements, other than the basics.

a few attachments:

Attachments

• IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    654.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It got a little too hot!! Worked fine with 1000VA 30V, rails right at 30V. I then connected my big 1500VA 38V toroid, rails came out to 35V...current source gate resistors burned up followed quickly by the source pins on the fets, for both channels...almost simultaneously. My gate leads from the board to the fets was 18ga and about 8 inches, I think it was oscillating like crazy....sounded good for a few minutes. Next iteration will be a little more tame, 8 fets/channel, and slightly lower bias.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.