vinyl coefficient of friction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed, seems Barney Oliver's was in the public domain in the 1970s.

About 4 years back I came up with what I thought was a neat topology for a true transimpedance phono input stage, including how to solve the awkward incorrect filter pole with arises from the natural LR of the cartridge. Only to find this in the search, from 1982, which already discloses it:

So much for prior art. I suspect any phono stage that had to be user tweaked for each cartridge would have limited commercial appeal.

Now you have me wondering about straight into a transimpedance mode amp with digital de-emphasis. :scratch1: Inject a little inverse RIAA and compute a matched filter. Don't quite see what you gain with MC, maybe we can restart the mechanical damping from the motor assembly discussion.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
So much for prior art. I suspect any phono stage that had to be user tweaked for each cartridge would have limited commercial appeal.

Graham Slee does well out selling adjustable RIAA curves for people who probably don't own any records that aren't RIAA, so sure some would like it.

Autocal of course would be loved my many except trad flat earthers!

Digital or analog, the same job is there to be done........it relaxes requirements on the 1st stage if one isn't trying to squeeze a bit of compensation out of it at the same time though, either way.

Just thinking about the dynamic headroom issues. BTW, in looking up stylus wear photos for someone else I came across a thread where someone detected stylus wear by an increase in crackle when a fresh cart is quiet on the same record.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
if you can get a suitable test record. Or MEMs vibration stand to wiggle the needle.

'There's a hole in my bucket'...

High Frequency Testing of Gramophone Cartridges using an Accelerometer
http://www.bksv.com/doc/TechnicalReview1976-2.pdf

Please note the discrepancy btn the test record curve and the accelerometer curve at HF, due to vinyl-grove compliance/tip mass interaction.
The test record curve is a system response, the accelerometer curve is a component response.

See also this:
Calibration and Standards. Vibration and Shock Measurements
http://www.bksv.com/doc/TechnicalReview1981-4.pdf

George

Please note the discrepancy btn the test record curve and the accelerometer curve at HF, due to vinyl-grove compliance/tip mass interaction.
The test record curve is a system response, the accelerometer curve is a component response.

That sort of makes it useless in this application, though in general these graphs cast a shadow on worrying over +-.1db RIAA.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
azimuth you normally set with an L-R null. If you put in a mono impulse and digitise you 'might' be able to calculate how far out it is with one shot.
I believe a few of us do something similar. When I set up a phono cart I digitize and look hard at the results for a lot of things, azimuth being one of them. Test records and mono pressings are helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.