Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Eric,
Don't you already have the original Prasi boards from BanglaH? You should build that - it works fine with the changes suggested. Just look at the posts showing actual values used. I posted a schematic showing what I did. Rather than try to get the latest and best (but untested PCB), you would actually be better off risk wise by using a tested (albeit, imperfect as is) board. That's just my opinion if you are hoping that the newer boards will be "better". Maybe so - but there could be errors as they are un-tested.

The double BJT output version by Hugh is certainly exciting. But there is probably some work to be done between now and first successful build.

Hi X,

Very good suggestion. I was lucky, I do have some PCBs, this why I mentionned; If nobody will update their PCB I will simply use my present one and add the few required components, it would just be nice to know if someone intend to work on this.

The double BJT is not for me, I'm building the Quasi for a friend and all he's got is two transformer of each 300VA, +/-20Vac, for the PSU, choices are:
1. A low power Quasi at about +/-28VDC supply with 1 PSU per channel (double mono)
2. If I wire the secondary windings in series I'll have 2 transformers of each 1 x 40Vac winding, if I use them both (can I do that ??) it would give a single +/-40Vac supply (or about +/-55VDC). 1 PSU for 2 channels..aiming for the Big Quasi with such a high DC voltage.

I'll stick with the present design for now.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

If you want big mosfets, check out Digikey.com. They have a parametric search which is a bit tetchy but does work. I have sent you an Excel list of large mosfets for this job, 150-300V, 40-70A, TO3P (or 247/264 packages) and reasonable costs. Sadly I cannot append this to this post on the forum as it does not permit xls spreadsheets.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Eric,

If you want big mosfets, check out Digikey.com. They have a parametric search which is a bit tetchy but does work. I have sent you an Excel list of large mosfets for this job, 150-300V, 40-70A, TO3P (or 247/264 packages) and reasonable costs. Sadly I cannot append this to this post on the forum as it does not permit xls spreadsheets.

Cheers,

Hugh

You can attach xls files if you zip them.

Hi Eric,

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks !

Well, we'll check it out!
Boards are coming from user @farjon.
Parts are being scavanged in bins and junks....

Smartx21, it´s comming...

All, attached a little teaser. 90x90mm.

Regards.

Attachments

• Gerber_Files_Viewer_b.jpg
    Gerber_Files_Viewer_b.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 712
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 669
I know... late to the party as usual. 1st channel up and running. No drama. +-36 volt rails. No hum or buzz. Dacz layout is tight but all the components fit. The second channel should come together a bit faster. 1st impression says it's worth putting the second channel together for a real listen.

Thanks to all for all the work put in to make this happen.
Evan

Attachments

• DSC02910.jpg
    DSC02910.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 1,270
  • DSC02913.jpg
    DSC02913.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 1,217
  • DSC02914.jpg
    DSC02914.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 1,125
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know... late to the party as usual. 1st channel up and running. No drama. +-36 volt rails. No hum or buzz. Dacz layout is tight but all the components fit. The second channel should come together a bit faster. 1st impression says it's worth putting the second channel together for a real listen.

Evan

Nice job! So Dacz layout works as prescribed on silkscreen with. No changes needed?

congrats evanc for the build.. now i am attaching the final PCB (only zobel capacitor rerouted) with better silk view.

Attachments

• GERBER.zip
    51 KB · Views: 315
  • VSQCMA_SILK.pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 369
  • VSQCMA_TRACK_MIRROR.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 350
  • VSQCMA_TRACK.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 383
  • VSQCMosfetSchem.pdf
    780.5 KB · Views: 552
  • VSQCMosfetALL.JPG
    VSQCMosfetALL.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 1,214
  • SprintFile.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 317

Evan
Wellcome Evan.Good job!
Thanks to Prasi Thiago Dacz and other guys
for all the pcb work.

Last edited:
Dacz layout and silk screen are perfect. The only tight parts are the electrolytic caps I used. I only had higher voltage then is needed on hand. It will probably take me a couple days to get the second channel running. I'll report back.

PS. I used IRFP 240 and MJL 3281A. The 1381 parts are F rank.

Last edited: