Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

Hello everyone

I never used Sprint Layout to print typons but I was interested to make this amplifier and this is what I get with this. :confused:
A configuration issue, an idea?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Oops!.jpg
    Oops!.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 667
BUT no, no amp just yet, I've asked Prasi to rejig one of my pcbs which went south when the Protel software screw a loose......

Since then, I've bought DipTrace, and so I'm starting the long, arduous learning curve. Right now I'm am filling orders for my new Maya and SAKSA, so the quasi will have to wait a bit longer.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Well, I would like to share here that I was that one fortunate guy who got to rejig Hugh's Quasi PCB and my god, he is a master, who knows where to place each every component and trace. A meticulous attention to detail, that my layouts can never match, even the one's I have spent 100's of hours.
I took it as a challenge and I am glad Hugh liked my work. He s a true gentleman ..
Thanks Hugh!
Regards
Prasi

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just put my Quasi's back on and listening to them now. Forgot how nice they sound. :)

571096d1474691834-very-simple-quasi-complimentary-mosfet-amplifier-quasi-redux.jpg

I just got a 5 pair pack of Onsemi NJW0281G/NJW0231G. The NJW0281G might be a good substitute for the 2SC5200.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NJW0281-D.PDF

I might use these in the next pair of Quasi's that I make - maybe Dacz layout...

Attachments

• Quasi-redux.jpg
    Quasi-redux.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Hi I wanted generate the pdf's and post here for you, but unfortunately my virus scan has deleted my sprint:headbash::headbash:. Sorry.
So I request Dacz or someone to post the pdf's here for convenience.
reg
Prasi

Here you go.

Attachments

• Quasi Mosfet BjtREV2ShareOnly componants.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Quasi Mosfet BjtREV2ShareOnly iron transfer.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Quasi Mosfet BjtREV2ShareOnly photo etch.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 213
Thank you Prasi!
You polished my raw pcb and turned it into a Renaissance masterpieced......

Terry,
Thank you for your work, this is a wonderful backup for all of us!

As most realise now it's very easy to find high power nmos with 300+ W ratings, but it's more difficult to get them in npn devices.
The one that comes to mind is the 2SC3264 Sanken, there is an ON Semi 2N3668 (200W, 25A, 150V, but TO204AA, and finally a (Toshiba?)MT200 but in six pages of trawling through Google I find very little of them and the 175W+ devices are expensive. It rather looks like you have to use a matched pair of npn to move up to a 100W plus quasi, but then, it would be an interesting amp with a large nmos and two matched npns for a single output stage, so the novelty might attract some to build it out!

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Thank you Prasi!
You polished my raw pcb and turned it into a Renaissance masterpieced......

Terry,
Thank you for your work, this is a wonderful backup for all of us!

As most realise now it's very easy to find high power nmos with 300+ W ratings, but it's more difficult to get them in npn devices.
The one that comes to mind is the 2SC3264 Sanken, there is an ON Semi 2N3668 (200W, 25A, 150V, but TO204AA, and finally a (Toshiba?)MT200 but in six pages of trawling through Google I find very little of them and the 175W+ devices are expensive. It rather looks like you have to use a matched pair of npn to move up to a 100W plus quasi, but then, it would be an interesting amp with a large nmos and two matched npns for a single output stage, so the novelty might attract some to build it out!

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh could you provide a shematic with this configuation (high power nmos and matched npn......i have some good matched MJL3281)...

Marc

A BIG QUASI

Hi Marc,

This is a quick and dirty Spice schematic, so this is not built. (Some of the dissipations and currents/voltages on this schematic are not correct as they relate to the 42V rails, which I analysed very carefully but NOT this version). But I have no reason to think it would not work well as I did something like this five years ago! I have used an IRF90N20D here; the profile of the harmonic is very much driven by the choice of the mosfet. I would use a FQA69N25 Fairchild here, but don't have the model. Results are very good, and if you use C5200 (not fakes!) I would expect you could increase the rails to around 56V, no higher.
I have some concerns about stability at the clip on the negative waveform. This would come back to the B/C cap on the inverter, which should be a 4A device like the 2SA1837.
By using a 0.33R emitter resistor matched npns is not too critical, but it does help. This is a schemat, Marc, and would need some proto work, but it would be practical.
Harmonic Profile is excellent, better than the single npn version. Moreover, the mosfet NEVER turns off; at clip it's still passing more than 7mA.

Cheers,

Hugh

Attachments

• BIGquasi.gif
    BIGquasi.gif
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,970
Nice schematic Hugh.

I noticed the addition of 2 small capacitors ; C8 (1nF) across D1 and C10 (12pF) across R5. These do not appear so far on any of the current PCB Layouts. (Prasi, Thiago and Dacz)

Should these 2 caps be added now before someone send these beautiful PCB to a PCB manuf ;-)

Thanks,
Eric

Thank you still4given

Do you have an explanation why Sprint Layout print files like this one?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...mentary-mosfet-amplifier-133.html#post4838093

In the meantime a member of the forum offered me a set of stereo pcb (Thiagomogi or Prasi board).

:)

i had such an experience once when i imported a layout pdf in corel and pressed view/wireframe. pressing view/normal made everything ok. I dont sincerely have any solution to your specific issue.
reg
Prasi

Hi Quasi builder.;-)

Is there a good samaritan working on upgrading their PCB layout to create this BIG QUASI version ? So far I think the PCB from Dacz is the only one that has all the latest mods suggested by Hugh. Note that C8 and C10 should be added on this more powerful Quasi.
If nobody will update their PCB I will simply use my present one and add the few required components, it would just be nice to know if someone intend to work on this.
Maybe we should create another thread if there is any interest.

Is the physical size of the suggested FQA69N25 similar to IRFP240..I didn't find much info about that FQA.. on the web. Where do we buy these.. ?

I just found in my junk a power transformer from an old Technics SU-V10X (rated 2 x 120W@8 ohm) which has a choice of 2 secondary based on the speaker's impedance..one is +/-37Vac and the other is +/-48Vac, filtering cap were rated 71Vdc. I believe the +/-37Vac would be appropriate for this big Quasi, any thought ?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Last edited: