Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

Need a new amp

Hi gang, I’m in need of a new amp and have been recommended this one. Just wondering if someone has a pcb available for a known working design that parts are still available. I haven’t built solid state amps yet so this will be first intro. Thanks very much.

Hi gang, I’m in need of a new amp and have been recommended this one. Just wondering if someone has a pcb available for a known working design that parts are still available. I haven’t built solid state amps yet so this will be first intro. Thanks very much.

I have 8 spare boards lying around - happy to give a few away. They were dirt cheap from PCBway (10 for same price as 5). Ranchu layout - tried and tested...

Yes, it's coming back to me now...I have the DACZ layout. 1 sided and tight fitting in places. I have had 2 stuffed, mounted and ready to test for a few months, but haven't had time to get back to them :(

I also played around with the Thiago layout on my (biggish) CNC - I didn't think it would have the finesse required, but it looks to have worked a treat (not stuffed yet though). I am confident I can probably easily knock out a few more if I ever need, although PCBway is so convenient, cheap and fast that it's hardly worth the trouble of making your own.

Prasi, unfortunately your layout wasn't done when I started looking at this build - rest assured though, I remain a bit fan of your work!

Cheers
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_3691.jpg
    IMG_3691.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 882
Yes, it's coming back to me now...I have the DACZ layout. 1 sided and tight fitting in places. I have had 2 stuffed, mounted and ready to test for a few months, but haven't had time to get back to them :(

I also played around with the Thiago layout on my (biggish) CNC - I didn't think it would have the finesse required, but it looks to have worked a treat (not stuffed yet though). I am confident I can probably easily knock out a few more if I ever need, although PCBway is so convenient, cheap and fast that it's hardly worth the trouble of making your own.

Prasi, unfortunately your layout wasn't done when I started looking at this build - rest assured though, I remain a bit fan of your work!

Cheers
Scott

Hello Scott,

That's a beautiful looking CNC job. with that you dont need pcbway!, ever.
All the best with testing those beauties and thank you for the confidence shown.

regards
Prasi

There were four VSQA pcbs. Ranchu (Oz), DACZ (Phillipines), Thiago (Brazil), Phunk (South Africa) and last, Prasi (India). All were outstanding and very tidy, tight layouts and a credit to the original schematic. I particularly enjoyed Phunk's Paisley version, which looks like a psychedelic extravaganza, humorous and ironic. But the most most frequently used version was from DAZC, which was dense and elegant. All worked just fine, so you select what you want.... all the gerbers are available on this thread.

Looking back this was one of the most most versatile amps on this forum. There was design input from Ranchu, Bigun, Richard, XRK971, me, Ilizmn and others. On listening tests with particularly StillforGiven, XRK, and a few others it was described as very satisfying, and very musical, with strong bass and utter silence. It also showed huge depth of image and marvellous stereo field. There was even a full power version which gave more than 100W using FQA40N25 Fairchild mosfet and FJL4315 from OnSemi - just two output devices - run from up to 56V rails.

When Ranchu decided to build a Quasi, I was immediately interested. I'd just completed the NAKSA 80, and a couple of years before I'd been very ill and needed something to test my mind again after a stroke. Looking back, the VSQA was one of the best designs I ever saw, and significantly there were many minds in that schematic. And it was very simple!!

Recommended. It's a superb amplifier,

Hugh

Last edited:
A lovely pcb.......

Hugh

I have to agree there. Might have to give a couple of those a try once I get time to get through the other projects!

If I remember correctly Thiango's PCB required some modifications.

Just a note regarding the Phunk layout - I've gone for 2SC5200 and IRFP250M, BD139 and KSA1381 but found that the combined widths between 2SC5200+KSA1381 are not equal to IRFP250M+BD139.

This means that mounting the outputs directly to a heatsink isn't possible without a shim, otherwise there would either be a gap or mechanical stress.

I've ordered a piece of copper flat bar to shim it out, so hopefully I can get this fired up soon.

I guess it depends on the tolerances of the trannies as to whether or not the widths end up equal, as the dimensions added up right in the datasheet 'middle of average'.

Attachments

• 20180501_1544482.jpg
    20180501_1544482.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 619