Very HQ power amplifier (Assemblage VII)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Kean

I allready listened to the amp connected to several preamps.

It works perfectly with your superbuffer, it works also very well with salas dcb1 but it distorts heavily at medium output with salas new high current preamp.

Can the output impedance of the preamp affect distortion ?

bigger than usual affects recovery from overloads,

820 ohms + 1000 ufd gives you a corner freq of 0.1941898400Hz
820 ohms + 220 ufd gives you a corner freq of 0.8826810909Hz
820 ohms + 100 ufd gives you a corner freq of 1.941898400Hz
820 ohms + 47 ufd gives you a corner freq of 4.1316987231398 Hz

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I now connected the voltage divider that serves as vref for the ltp cascode to signal gnd instead of the sources of the jfets.

During power on, initial voltage rise at the output is now limited to 1.5V (before I registered power on voltages around 30V).

Offset settles at 2mV after 30 min (it follows temperature)

Now I do not have the serious distortion previously seen at 40khz but there is an initial rise in the square, seen at all frequencies.

What should be the cause of this ?

Attachments

• NewFile4.png
    NewFile4.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 172
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sounds slightly cleaner now but it "crackles" when I push the volume up to medium.

Allready increased input series resistance to 2k7 and it did not solve the issue.

It seems to overload to easily... gain is now 32dB with the feedback resistors 33k and 820 ohm.... should I increase feedback to lower gain ?

33k and 820

values that i frequently use....
how much cap is in series with the 820 ohms? even a 47 ufd cap will work fine...

you can tweak the VAS current increasing it slightly till you get it right to your ears...
or no traces of cross over distortions can be seen on the scope at 1 watt output levels...
also if you are using emitter followers to drive mosfet gates,
you probably need more current to speed up discharging gate mosfet capacitance
during turn off...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.