Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

My Hybrid Bookshelf OB:

+ Woofer: HiVi M5N
+ Driver: Mark Audio CHR-70.3
+ Woofer Enclosure: 1/2" MDF Vented 0.25 Cu.Ft. lined with 3/8" Wool Felt
+ Veneer: Raw Mahogany finished with Waterbased Clear Satin Varnish
+ Vent: 1" Dia. x 2" Long (1.5" x 4" would have been a better choice)
+ Driver Baffle: 7.5"w X 6"h
+ Drivers installed offset, mirror image
+ f3: 57 Hz
+ Crossover: Behringer CX Active 2-Way

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• HOB.JPG
    HOB.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 635
  • HOB 2.jpg
    HOB 2.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Is that a new kind of open baffle? :D
Still a very nice looking speaker.

If you are referring to my speakers...It is not a new kind of OB, it is a design that has been done before with the woofer providing the bass in an enclosure an the other driver(s) in an OB, hence Hybrid, Tekton had one like that.

They sound very nice running both full range, but you have the obvious doubling at some frequencies, specially in the mid to top mid area. Just for the heck of it, I used one as a center channel speaker, instead of my PSB C45, and dialogue was extremely clear. With music without XO they are a tad bright, but with active XO they sound really nice. My second amp is down, so I cannot use the active XO, so working in a passive XO for them.

There is indeed a grey area between OB and Ported. When an OB has 'wings' or is an open-backed box (U-frame) then there are pipe resonances. A box speaker with a port also has a resonance mode.

However, the punishment for posting a box speaker on the OB forum should be that a chain saw is used to remove the box from the baffle :D

my Open Baffle build,
I started with a plan to build a speaker from plans by Dave at Fastlane audio
they are called Yields, very similar to Emerald physics designs.
I had crossovers from Pure audio Project for the trio 15 and I used
eminence 15a woofers , and Audio Nirvana super 10 ferrite full range. baffles are 2'x4' roughly.

I haven't made final design but have a few ideas to make them present better to the eye, Will update when that transformation happens.

the sound is very nice to me and im sure will get better as I learn and speakers break in.
As a NOOB I do not a way to measure anything and I am still working on components to drive them. I just have them running on a Yamaha receiver now.

I love scrolling through the forum and learning. :) suggestion always welcome

Attachments

• fastlane yeild ob 1.JPG
    fastlane yeild ob 1.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 623
  • fastlane yeild ob 2.JPG
    fastlane yeild ob 2.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 531
  • fastlane yeild ob assembled.JPG
    fastlane yeild ob assembled.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 557
  • fastlane yeild ob prototype.JPG
    fastlane yeild ob prototype.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Randy,

Noob?..maybe in the measuring department.. Because your build does show skills. Your choice of units and filters shows good judgement. (I am curious about the filter btw).

I haven't seen this specific plan so thank you for that. Oh and to me... good measurements aren't everything, experiencing the sound is for me the way to go.

If you find the perfect amplifier match and you change out the MDF/look for a nice wood finish you are on to a winner!.

R.

my Open Baffle build,
I started with a plan to build a speaker from plans by Dave at Fastlane audio
they are called Yields, very similar to Emerald physics designs.
I had crossovers from Pure audio Project for the trio 15 and I used
eminence 15a woofers , and Audio Nirvana super 10 ferrite full range. baffles are 2'x4' roughly.

I haven't made final design but have a few ideas to make them present better to the eye, Will update when that transformation happens.

the sound is very nice to me and im sure will get better as I learn and speakers break in.
As a NOOB I do not a way to measure anything and I am still working on components to drive them. I just have them running on a Yamaha receiver now.

I love scrolling through the forum and learning. :) suggestion always welcome

Nice work.
It looks like you've back mounted 15 in woofers to @8" holes.
?
What does this do?
Does the added resistance increase qts?
Is there a resonance, which manufactures more bass harmonics?

Nice work.
It looks like you've back mounted 15 in woofers to @8" holes.
?
What does this do?
Does the added resistance increase qts?
Is there a resonance, which manufactures more bass harmonics?

mit sound
follow the link at fastlane audio for a full explanation and dimensions in his plans. but here is a short version
"
The Loaded Baffle Acoustic Transducer. What is L.B.A.T.? The L.B.AT. is basically a loaded open baffle, similar to the loading of a horn driver but without the flair. The technical benefits of this design is: Bandpass filtering. Lower distortion. Increased power handling.The listening benefits of this design is: Realistic bass. Speed and accuracy. "

The Loaded Baffle Acoustic Transducer. What is L.B.A.T.? The L.B.AT. is basically a loaded open baffle, similar to the loading of a horn driver but without the flair. The technical benefits of this design is: Bandpass filtering. Lower distortion. Increased power handling.The listening benefits of this design is: Realistic bass. Speed and accuracy. "

A kind of S.L.O.B.

Greets:
Tyimo

Nice job Randy. Where are the plans? I don't see them on the website. Only the crossover. Also, what is the modification to the Alpha's? Basket mod?

-KC

fastlane audio plans are Yield speaker plans (sorry previous link didnt post well) and its all that I went off off.

as far as the basket mods, I haven't done any, but he put mdf circle dampeners on the magnets i believe, i am putting some dampening pads on the baskets this weekend, not sure what to expect but i do know the baskets are a stamped steel and relatively thin so a little dampening wont hurt a thing.

fastlane audio plans are Yield speaker plans (sorry previous link didnt post well) and its all that I went off off.

as far as the basket mods, I haven't done any, but he put mdf circle dampeners on the magnets i believe, i am putting some dampening pads on the baskets this weekend, not sure what to expect but i do know the baskets are a stamped steel and relatively thin so a little dampening wont hurt a thing.

Sorry, I thought there were more dimensions than those 6 panels. Am I reading that correctly, panel #1 is the front, #2 and #3 go next which gives a 1.5" depth port, but somone asked Dave at the Klipsch forum (#64 & #65 in the link below) and he said the port depth was .75". Am I missing something?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/136248-yield-open-baffle-project/?p=1699565

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought there were more dimensions than those 6 panels. Am I reading that correctly, panel #1 is the front, #2 and #3 go next which gives a 1.5" depth port, but somone asked Dave at the Klipsch forum (#64 & #65 in the link below) and he said the port depth was .75". Am I missing something?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/136248-yield-open-baffle-project/?p=1699565

Yeah I haven't tried it with the 1.5" I followed the klipsch forum response of .75, it sounds very good to me. I have the other panel built but haven't tried it.

I will mail Dave and ask him recommendations.

:cop: Speakers in sealed or ported cabinets are off topic here, this is the Ultimate OPEN BAFFLE Gallery, please respect the topic and the members who post and expect to see OB speakers here. The existing OT posts are subject to removal by moderation. Thank You.

Thank you. It's a gallery so we'd expect less discussions and MORE PICS please :)

cdc51d7d525140e6eb937511c884bb92.jpg