• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm, I am now confusing myself. Just to make absolutely sure (so that an idiot like me can understand it) I am using only the positive terminals of each phase. So the connections from one DAC to the tube-i-zator are as follows?

positive anti-phase out - -> - >- - + input right (tube-i-zator) and ultimately to pin 3 of XLR balanced output
positive phase out - -> - >- -> - - + input left (tube-i-zator) and ultimately to pin 2 of XLR balanced output
GND > GND to pin 1 XLR

I ignore all negative output connections on DAC.

Thank you for your help. I think the wine I had last night is still affecting my brain ;-)

Hmmm, I am now confusing myself. Just to make absolutely sure (so that an idiot like me can understand it) I am using only the positive terminals of each phase. So the connections from one DAC to the tube-i-zator are as follows?

positive anti-phase out - -> - >- - + input right (tube-i-zator) and ultimately to pin 3 of XLR balanced output
positive phase out - -> - >- -> - - + input left (tube-i-zator) and ultimately to pin 2 of XLR balanced output
GND > GND to pin 1 XLR

I ignore all negative output connections on DAC.

Thank you for your help. I think the wine I had last night is still affecting my brain ;-)

You cannot use the schematic for IVY III or Legato 3 since the way the BII or BIIISE differential pairs are done. As you can see there's two differential pairs, one on each side and that would require the use of 4 Tube-I-Zator if doing it this way...

You need to use only the positive on each side and they are reversed/mirrorred on each side.

So your connection is correct the way you wrote it but the second BIIISE "+ phases" have to be reversed on the Tube-I-Zator as per my drawing.

Please make sure you also read the integration guide since you need to setup the BIISE in dual mono. Keep the DAC as close as each others as possible since you need to connect them together.

I had a dual mono setup exactly like yours using dual Tube-I-Zator but ended up using a single BII with two Tube-I-Zator since you can't hear the difference with the tube output. Basically you lose the advantage to run it in current mode due to cable length, etc, so a single DAC is sufficient. And it sounds really good. Really love it!

Ciao!
Do

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I had everything working from a board setup perspective. I was just confusing myself with all the different wiring options. Just for the sake of completeness, why is using the 'positive anti phase' and 'positive' outs any different from just using the +\- connections from the in-phase side of the board?

Hello Oliver
Lukas 6n2p print shows 250vdc....have i right that u use a lower value--and what is your value---i am shure that u use the right value..and i think i will try yours..
Best Bjarne

Hi Bjarne,

240VDC will provide more linearity, but you need to recalculate Rk, because with same Rk value (as for 150VDC) and increased to 240VDC power supply voltage you possibly will shorten life of the tube without any reason.
And vice versa - with Rk calculated for 240VDC and real use of 150VDC you will unreasonably decrease standing current of SRPP, which is better to have higher if possible.

For 150VDC and 12AX7 tube please look post No.815, in attachement you will find necessary data.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver,

Do you have that latest board that has fix for the bugs (47k resistor, heatsink mounting holes) you mentioned way back then?

Also, can we use 6h30 tubes here?

Hi Lil,

the next batch will correct the two small bugs, but it´s really no big thing.

In principal you could use also the 6H30, but i haven´t any recommended B+, Rk & R I/V values for this tube.

:wave:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bargain Sale

Here you could order my ready build Tube-I-zator test module
(excl. Tubes, Rk & R I/V)

Main Parts

- Nichicon KX Series caps (HV-PSU)
- Panasonic FM Series caps (Heater PSU)
- Mundorf MCap EVO aluminium/oil 2.2µF output caps
- Fairchild ISL9R460PF2 Stealth rectifier diodes

for the special price of

$99

including
Worldwide shipping and paypal fee

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you are interested, please send me a PM.

:wave:

Sold!

Q. I want to incorporate SSHV. My voltages are 290v rectified to C-R-C. R=6.6k. When I add heater supply to tubes I get 284v before 6.6k and 222v after on anode. C=120u 400v for both. when the heaters turn off the voltage goes 290v. Iam thinking I can add higher resistor for C maybe 12k or so to bring V down to 170ish. I see an initial spike of 264v on power up as the tubes warm up gradually dropping down to 222v after 4-5 seconds. How dose this sound. My concern is the initial V spike at power up. THX

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

Is it mandatory to install the resistors in the tubes to inject the bias current injection to the TDA1541A? I have not done it and it sounds ok for me, a little lower volume level than other DACs but fine. Any clues?

Regards,

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

if you use the SSHV for B+ i strongly recommend to inject the 2mA bias current (SSHV out 150V --> 75K0 --> R I/V), because we get a high quality CCS here!

It takes 5 min. and you will get the max. performance out of the TDA1541A. ;)

Cheers,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.